Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Blackberry Announces New All-Screen 'Motion' Smartphone With 4,000mAh Battery

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Blackberry announced its latest crack at an all-screen smartphone during the GITEX Technology Week in Dubai on Sunday. The Motion is the company's third Android phone to ditch the keyboard following the release of the DTEK50 and DTEK60 in 2016. Blackberry also released the KEYone earlier this year, but that device includes a keyboard below the touchscreen.

The Motion's 5.5-inch LCD display and Snapdragon 625 system-on-a-chip is powered by a large 4,000mAh battery (the iPhone 8 Plus has a 2,675mAh battery), which Blackberry hopes will appeal to business users looking for all-day battery life. Like all of the company's branded handsets these days, the Motion is actually made by Chinese company TCL Communication.

The Blackberry Motion (Image: Evan Blass)

The phone will be initially available in Middle Eastern markets for approximately $460, with availability in the U.S. likely further down the line.

Blackberry officially discontinued its keyboard-rocking Blackberry Classic in July 2016 and later declared it would cease internally developing its own handsets, relying on partnerships with other companies instead while it focuses on software development.

The rise of the iPhone famously wiped out Blackberry's smartphone market share, but the company's pivot towards mobile security has been a profitable one, with its recent quarterly earnings report exceeding expectations.

The company reported record gross margins of 76 percent, up from 67 percent last quarter and 62 percent a year ago, despite the fact its hardware market share remains essentially zero.

Article Link: Blackberry Announces New All-Screen 'Motion' Smartphone With 4,000mAh Battery

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I wish Apple had courage to even break the 3Ah limit. Maybe one day we'd see an actual 'all-day' battery in iPhone. That is, for those who use it more than light browsing and two phone calls a day.

I’m looking forward to the day when battery technology evolves to allow us the kind of longevity we had in the old days. Maybe even just Nokia E55 levels, I could easily get three or four days out of that bugger before I had to juice it up.

Simpler times, simpler technology of course. Just a pity battery tech hasn’t kept up with mobile technology advances. One day, when I’m older and greyer, maybe, just maybe :D

Comment

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
Too little too late. Blackberry could have pivoted about 10 years ago to this kind of design. The only thing that will save blackberry is to NOT BE Blackberry anymore. They need a rebrand to start from scratch and stop trying to rely on brand loyalty when all blackberry owners have been sorely let down many times already. Why do they also keep chasing business users? it makes no sense to plug away at the cash cow with products that will only disappoint them and tarnish your brand forever!

They need to do stock android and earn their following again by having a good device with minimal if any BB apps installed. This certainly isn't the phone to right their hardware ship.

Comment

EightyTwenty

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2015
Too little too late. Blackberry could have pivoted about 10 years ago to this kind of design. The only thing that will save blackberry is to NOT BE Blackberry anymore. They need a rebrand to start from scratch and stop trying to rely on brand loyalty when all blackberry owners have been sorely let down many times already. Why do they also keep chasing business users? it makes no sense to plug away at the cash cow with products that will only disappoint them and tarnish your brand forever!

They need to do stock android and earn their following again by having a good device with minimal if any BB apps installed. This certainly isn't the phone to right their hardware ship.

This phone is pretty much everything you are asking for. BB has been shipping phones with near stock Android for years.

Comment

69Mustang

macrumors 604
Jan 7, 2014
In between a rock and a hard place
OMG blackberry stahp. Pls go gentle into that goodnight.
They won't. They will simply continue to print money.

They need to keep doing what they're doing. They don't give a crap about phones. They're just licensing the name and getting paid. Blackberry is a software company now. Plain and simple. They did $249M Q2. $196M of that was software and services.

The company reported record gross margins of 76 percent, up from 67 percent last quarter and 62 percent a year ago, despite the fact its hardware market share remains essentially zero.

Comment

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I think the point is though, is that this is one of their first phones having an all Touch dislay without the keyboard. But coming from where BlackBerry used to be, this is a big step for them. It also has a huge battery and a headphone jack.
BlackBerry have made keyboardless phones for years.

If it had BB10 instead of Android, it would need no buttons.

Reactions: Ping Guo
Comment

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
BlackBerry have made keyboardless phones for years.

If it had BB10 instead of Android, it would need no buttons.

The difference being already indicated in the article. This is the second device from the modern BlackBerry. The company released the "Key one" blackberry earlier in the year. However that device supported a keyboard under a touchscreen AND a physical keyboard. The BlackBerry Motion is a pure touchscreen smart phone with Android as already mentioned.

Comment

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Not sure what the point is in 2017 for Blackberry to have a phone. I thought they took the Microsoft approach and were focusing on enterprise apps for all platforms? I don't know, why waste the resources on an actual phone?

Comment

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
The difference being already indicated in the article. This is the second device from the modern BlackBerry. The company released the "Key one" blackberry earlier in the year. However that device supported a keyboard under a touchscreen AND a physical keyboard. The BlackBerry Motion is a pure touchscreen smart phone with Android as already mentioned.
Android is not modern BlackBerry. Modern BlackBerry is BB10.

Reactions: DUIduckSAUCE
Comment

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Android is not modern BlackBerry. Modern BlackBerry is BB10.

Where is it exactly that you're confused? The point of the phone is that they're becoming "Modern" more so with touch displays similarly to other phones that are current on the market. I'm referring to the hardware spectrum side of things, as opposed to where they were with the physical keyboard and a touch display in retrospect to years past. I'm not correlating the differences between BB10 and android. Again, the article already indicated what you're stating, I'm not disputing that.

Comment

[AUT] Thomas

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2016
Graz [Austria]
I think the point is though, is that this is one of their first phones having an all Touch dislay without the keyboard. But coming from where BlackBerry used to be, this is a big step for them. It also has a huge battery and a headphone jack.
You couldn't be more wrong... apparently you missed an entire range of devices... BB had full screen devices for quite some time... Z10, Z30, Z3 and now the Androids manufactured by DTEK, i.e. the 50 and 60. While the 50 is a lightweight "plastic" phone, the 60 is a decent metal-frame device. Anyway, it's Android... I wish they would have sticked with BB10 and probably coded some important apps themselves...

Comment

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Where is it exactly that you're confused? The point of the phone is that they're becoming "Modern" more so with touch displays similarly to other phones that are current on the market. I'm referring to the hardware spectrum side of things, as opposed to where they were with the physical keyboard and a touch display. I'm not correlating the difference between BB10 and android. Again, the article already indicated what you're stating, I'm not disputing that.
I am not confused. BlackBerry started selling keyboardless phones in January 2013. And they sold a tablet before that.

And they actually made them themselves, not like this Android crud.

Reactions: DUIduckSAUCE
Comment

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I wish they would have sticked with BB10 and probably coded some important apps themselves...

BlackBerry has been shipping phones with primarily android for years. Mainly my point being I think this phone is more competition of the modern smart phone. More so, it's not available in the states yet, but it has the ability to compete with phones like Huwaei or the Pixel, or Android devices. It's Still too early to determine where that falls in line yet.

Comment

swm

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2013
alone the battery specs don't tell the whole story.
real life power consumption w/ the chosen SoC & OS will shed more light on that.
on the other hand i agree on the fact, that bigger capacity battery in the iPhone would provide more "all-day" experience.
it's just however fine with my SE - regardless what i do, i spend at least 1h on the car where the phone is charged because of carplay.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.