Blackberry or Palm Pre?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by smeeg, Nov 27, 2009.

1. smeeg macrumors newbie

Hey guys.

I want to stay on my current contract, so no shouts for ":apple:iPhone:apple:!" please!:D

Just wondering if I should go for the Palm Pre, or any of the latest BlackBerrys? Maybe even the Google phone or HTC touch? Or even the Motorola Droid which right now is looking rather sexy to me...?

Anyways if you have any other suggestions then I do want a keypad preferably qwerty or BB style. Please say what model - not just "blackberry" :p

P.s. I'd prefer to keep the cost of the phone relatively low :)

2. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

3. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

I've got a Pre, love it but the battery life sucks. If you can get a BB and the battery lasts more than two days, I'd go with that. I've got a 2 year contract so I guess I"m stuck. It's possible I've got a bum battery but others have complained about the same issue with the Pre and I've heard of no such problems with BB.

4. adder7712 macrumors 68000

adder7712

No experience with the Pre. :(

I would recommend a BlackBerry Bold since I've taken my dad's for a spin and the keyboard feels good.

5. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

If you want to stay on your current contract then why are you considering both the Palm Pre and the Droid, both of which are exclusively tied to separate networks?

6. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Blackberry would be the most reliable and an Android device would be a good alternative but the thing with Android is the fragmentation. Some devices are running version 1.5, others 1.6 and the Droid 2.0 hence some apps/features won't work on some versions. There's also an uncertainty about future updates...but i guess the Droid sports the Google logo and is therefore likely to get future updates

Palm has the most innovative OS of all them (yes i just said that...because its true) but is not truly ready for prime time yet. The App Store is yet to fully get going (just over 400 apps) and bugs are still being ironed out. Plus overall build quality of the Pre is still in serious question...its a lottery to get a good device and either way battery life will suck, hence its not exactly the most reliable/dependable of the lot. It still has that early adopter feeling surrounding it. However Palm/Sprint's offerings are the cheapest out there and you get a 2yr warranty, which is something you might want to keep in mind.

So go for the BB if you want absolute dependability and if you're feeling adventurous or want to try something new go for the Droid or even more so the Pre

7. Lloyd Christmas macrumors regular

i would vote for the blackberry tour. i have only messed with it in the store but it felt very good. plus you cant mess up with a very respectable name. Depending upon which cell company you have, im hearing that its better to sign up only for the one year deal. this way you are able to get e new phone sooner. the only thing that you are really saving is the 50$ rebate they give towards a new phone. which normally the all suck and you end up spending way more than you wanted. Lloyd

8. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

Get the Blackberry Bold 9700. It's the next best thing besides an iPhone.

9. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

Blackberry Bold 2.......or Storm 2.....or Curve 2..... with the 4.8 or 5.0 BB OS pre-installed.;)

10. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

Ah.. BB OS'es are always never interesting.. always the same old boring design ..