Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
Yet, it still doesn't allow 3rd party multi-tasking.

Ironic.

w00master
Hmm.... it plays music while using apps, downloads e-mail while using apps, loads web pages while using apps, performs telephone communication while using apps - all of these I consider minimal level multi-tasking, with the upside being battery life preservation. If I need a full blown, heavy duty phone, capable of 3rd party, battery draining multitasking, in the form of a brick, I'll look into a Pre.

FearNo1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
IMHO the number of "quality" apps are small. Most of the apps are junk...

When Blackberry has the sheer number and quality of apps that the iPhone platform has, then there will be some point to a comparison. Wake me up when I can play Myst on a Blackberry for six dollars.

Oliver.m

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2009
Essex, England
My housemate just got the new Blackberry curve. Although it is a good phone, one that i was tempted to get recently. After using it, it just doesn't have the same functionality of an iPhone. It is a good phone but i think the iPhone does have it beaten for all uses other than business. If apple can sort that then i think the iPhone will outsell it.

I just really wish that apple would open the phone up to all networks because O2 reception is awful at my house. I hate having to jailbreak and unlock the phone but i am not left with any other feasible option.

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
My guess is the ones that make the IT people do the least work.
This would clearly rule out any device running WinMobile, then.

My housemate just got the new Blackberry curve. Although it is a good phone, one that i was tempted to get recently. After using it, it just doesn't have the same functionality of an iPhone. It is a good phone but i think the iPhone does have it beaten for all uses other than business. If apple can sort that then i think the iPhone will outsell it.

I just really wish that apple would open the phone up to all networks because O2 reception is awful at my house. I hate having to jailbreak and unlock the phone but i am not left with any other feasible option.
It seems the iPhone will be opening up to more networks, starting as soon as Q4. This will be a welcome development for a large sector of mobile phone users, especially as CDMA is implemented. We'll likely hear more about this next month at WWDC.

w00master

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Hmm.... it plays music while using apps, downloads e-mail while using apps, loads web pages while using apps, performs telephone communication while using apps - all of these I consider minimal level multi-tasking, with the upside being battery life preservation. If I need a full blown, heavy duty phone, capable of 3rd party, battery draining multitasking, in the form of a brick, I'll look into a Pre.

And yet you still fail to see the irony. If the iPhone is the "most advanced phone out there," why is it that it cannot handle third party multi-tasking?

I only stated the irony, and like you I don't mind it "too much," but you have to admit the irony.

Btw, why get so defensive? Each device and person are there to address individual needs. For some, the Pre will be perfect. Others, like you and me, the iPhone is perfect. Still others, BlackBerry is perfect.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm sick and tired of the "my device/computer/game console/whatever is better than yours." Guess what, I've grown up.

w00master

DMann

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2002
And yet you still fail to see the irony. If the iPhone is the "most advanced phone out there," why is it that it cannot handle third party multi-tasking?

I only stated the irony, and like you I don't mind it "too much," but you have to admit the irony.
Sure, but I don't view this as irony, no more than the fact that it doesn't play Flash - again, quite battery draining. I'm not saying the Blackberry is in anyway disfunctional, just stating that it is, for the most part, archaic. Incidentally, the iPhone happens to be fully capable of 3rd party multi-tasking - ironic or not, battery life would be severely compromised.

Oliver.m

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2009
Essex, England
It seems the iPhone will be opening up to more networks, starting as soon as Q4. This will be a welcome development for a large sector of mobile phone users, especially as CDMA is implemented. We'll likely hear more about this next month at WWDC.

This would be perfect for me and i'm sure many others. I know that a vast majority of my friends would love an iPhone but are not happy with switching networks. Networks seem to be a very personal thing. Some may love one whilst others love others. Opening it up would i'm sure increase their market-share.

awmazz

macrumors 65816
Jul 4, 2007
Straight from a leading retailer's up-to-the-minute database of smartphone sales - Amazon's - the Samsung Eternity is the the #1 selling smartphone.

Why are Amazon's actual sales so different to the 'sales data' released by this NDP Group? Is Amazon that much different to other retailers that their best selling smartphone isn't even in this NDP's top 5? The only reason I can think of is that Tel Co's are flogging phones to their customers through deals and contracts that they wouldn't otherwise buy if they had or were aware of the other choices available.

Edit. Amazon buyers don't have a choice of the iPhone either, so their list is the 'best of the rest' so to speak. iPhone buyers literally have to seek out their purchase from selected outlets and tied to just a single carrier in the US which makes their sales figures against the more widely available other brands all the more remarkable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.