Blackberry Playbook no hype, no lines, no one really cares

Discussion in 'iPad' started by imacuser1, Apr 19, 2011.

1. imacuser1 macrumors newbie

Buddy of mine works at Best Buy and he texted me this morning "no lines at bb, our doors open in 30 min"

He works in TV's, so he doesn't know how many people called and asked for it. But his sense is hardly anyone. Since the iPad 2 launch, hes been annoyed by customers constantly asking him about the ipad 2, but the playbook? He said no one has ever asked him about the playbook.

Another one bites the dust.... lets hope HP's TouchPad can give Apple some competition.

2. gadget123 macrumors 68000

I think it's because Blackberry are popular in the mobile market right now.

Surely Samsung is Apple's biggest rival right now?

3. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I don't know if the BB PB is aimed at the general public, like the iPad 2 is.

4. iLucas macrumors 6502

With the lawsuit, I'd say so.

5. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

6. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I was just going to say the same thing. This is a surprise why?

7. Cpt.Oliver macrumors member

Reviews are not so good for playbook. Those reviews may be hurt the playbook launch day ?

8. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

Yeah.

The playbook has potential, but right now it's just that...potential.

So many of the key parts of the os are missing at launch.

9. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

People say competition is good, but what good is it if it falls flat on its face? The Xoom seems pretty dead in the water. The Playbook is poised for even less interest. Samsung may have some tricks up its sleeve, but until the Android app market matures, any tablets that run on it will suffer.

What did competition do for the iPod? We're talking about a device with no app store to make or break it. The only player to remotely touch the iPod was the was the Zune. It tickled the iPod and made it laugh. And now the Zune is gone.

Every day a new tablet is announced and is almost as quickly forgotten, like so many remora riding a shark. It almost seems as if the competition is helping the iPad rather than hurt it.

10. AVR2 macrumors 6502

Arguably the Playbook isn't aimed at the same sorts of consumers as the iPad, in fact some observers are suggesting it's not really a consumer product at all, especially since it has to be paired with a Blackberry handset.

So the fact that there are no lines or hype is fairly irrelevant. Time will tell if it manages to carve out its own niche in the tablet market.

11. Cpt.Oliver macrumors member

A tablet market ? Like many already said tablet market doesnt exist . There is an ipad market but not a tablet market :D

12. aristobrat macrumors G4

Wonder if any enterprise businesses have placed orders for it? I know they don't go stand in line on launch days to get products.

13. Cpt.Oliver macrumors member

Doesnt ipad2 more appeling even for a business than the playbook ? I wont surprise me if apple get most business market over rim concerning tablet.

14. barryst macrumors regular

Take off the Apple-tinted glasses and think about it for one second. The Playbook is available almost everywhere. Best Buy, Sears, Radioshack, Staples, Office Depot, not to mention all the carriers. Not to mention you could preorder from all of these stores as well and get them delivered to your door on day one. Why would there be line-ups?

Even with all that, there are reports of sparse line-ups in some locations.
    [​IMG]

Yes they pale in comparison to the line-ups at Apple launches, but people still lined up even though they probably could have walked in at lunch and picked one up.

I'm going to wait a bit to judge the Playbook's lifespan and not base it on a Best Buy employee's text message (who no offense to your friend, are mostly idiots).

15. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

The iPad isn't really designed for a secure business environment. Not to say it doesn't work in that capacity, but RIM's products are designed with security in mind. And many companies already have built-in support for BB via BES. For many companies looking to adopt tablets, the PlayBook makes a lot of sense...

16. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Exactly. Why would anyone expect lines at this time?

The Playbook hasn't been advertised as a mass consumer device yet, and probably very few people know about it outside of tech forums.

I can tell you that enterprise interest is high, though. Blackberry field apps are popular, and there's been a desire for a larger screen to show them. A RIM symbiote tablet fits that desire.

17. Cpt.Oliver macrumors member

What kind of business need such a high security level ? Bank ? Beside that do you think hacker care about x or y business ? Security is a biaise selling point create by rim ? If use properly ipad can do the job in term of security for most business ?

18. lentini macrumors regular

They're probably lining up for an iPad

19. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

That's all FUD. Citrix made the Citrix Receiver available for a number of devices, so needing a device with encryption, etc. is moot. Data isn't stored on it. The more services that go via the Cloud route, the less need for BB type security is required.

20. Cpt.Oliver macrumors member

True that !:D

21. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Id say that right now, not aiming a tablet at consumers is not smart. even the enterprise and corporate world are going with the consumer trend.

22. donnaw macrumors 65816

23. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

24. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
  25. luckysob macrumors regular

All I know from the online advertising is that "Amateur Hour is Over"!

I still don't know which company RIM is referring to with the term "amateur".