Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
Simple solution: when you send an iMessage, tap and hold on the message. Select "Send as Text Message". After a couple times, problem solved. It stays set to SMS until it receives an iMessage from that number again.

Talk about problem overblown.

you people are too much sometimes.

you don't understand his problem. i've experienced this with a lot of my friends.

he's saying that he swtiched to an android phone, and then all his ios friends would never be able to get their messages through to him because their phones still thought he was on imessage.

my friend barbara switched to android a year ago. for 6 months my phone kept trying to send her imessages, no matter how many times i held my finger down on the bubble and chose send as text message.

i did it every time, and it continued for 6 months.

lastly, every single one of her friends that uses imessage shouldn't have to go through those steps. sometimes that could be hundred if not thousands of people.

apple is not immune to mistakes. i love the company, but there are many things they could do better. this being one of them. they need a better system.

edit: calling someone a fanboy is name calling? lol

Last edited:

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Blackberry missed the boat.

Their lack of innovation let others surpass their success.

Unfortunately that is happening to apple.

Remember the iPad had 75% of the tablet market and now that's under 30%

Apple please innovate ! :apple:

fallenjt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2013
To everyone who says they don't get spam, good for you. I'm happy for you. You're lucky. But that does not mean the problem doesn't exist. It does. It's annoying. And apple has provided very very very little support to users that are affected to fix the problem.

Your picture doesn't prove anything related to iMessage. They look like email spams.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
Wow. Nice spin. The complaints came from people completely unaware that if they left iOS their ability to text message would be in total limbo for days or weeks. By the way, the solution you are suggesting is completely the opposite of how to solve the issue.

The biggest complaints like this come from iPhone owners who didn't know how to set iMessage right. All you have to do is not to use Apple ID for your iMessage on your phone, but phone number only.

GrabASnookie

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
Raleigh
It appears the spam isn't arriving from your phone number, but your email address listed on "Send & Receive" addresses. Have you tried removing your email addresses from "Messages"?
You are probably a power user, but just in case you are not:
Settings - messages - Send & Receive - remove any email addresses you might have. Chances are, nobody contacts you by your email address - I always felt it was for iPod users to receive text messages.
good luck.

poematik13

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2014
the biggest hiccup with iMessage is it has been known to locked your phone number into iMessage so if you change to a Android or BB and you send an SMS to a friend still on iPhone it thinks your sending an iMessage which actually never sends anything

Ok, but why would anybody ever change from an iPhone?

fredcintra

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2011
I love the fact that iMessage DONT have contact list and works pretty much like SMS, I have lot of clients and I don't want to have to add them in my contact list to talk with them

evansls

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2004
Leesburg, VA
If blackberry is pushing their messaging service, then facebook might as well push their messaging service in the same breath.

Apple's imessage is a SMS service by which I get reminders on bank balances, bill payments, etc. in the form of text messages.

Blackberry is exclusively a chat system, which doesn't tie into third party.

So, BBM and iMessage are not technically the same thing.

fallenjt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2013
you people are too much sometimes.

you don't understand his problem. i've experienced this with a lot of my friends.

he's saying that he swtiched to an android phone, and then all his ios friends would never be able to get their messages through to him because their phones still thought he was on imessage.

my friend barbara switched to android a year ago. for 6 months my phone kept trying to send her imessages, no matter how many times i held my finger down on the bubble and chose send as text message.

i did it every time, and it continued for 6 months.

lastly, every single one of her friends that uses imessage shouldn't have to go through those steps. sometimes that could be hundred if not thousands of people.

apple is not immune to mistakes. i love the company, but there are many things they could do better. this being one of them. they need a better system.

This's because some people are too dumb to turn off all emails used with iMessage AND their phone# on other iOS devices. iMessage can be configured to receive messages sent to phone number OR any email associated with it OR phone number ONLY. I have a MAC, iPad and iPhone with iMessage configured differently: iPhone can receive any iMessage (sent by another iPhone and other iOS devices) while Mac and iPad only receive from non-iPhone iOS devices. If I don't want to receive imessages from other iOS devices except iPhone, I just simply remove those emails in my iMessage configuration by logging out iMessage.
When I take my SIM from iOS out and put it in another phone, my wife iPhone can only send me a Green message because the Blue message got an error with red "!" on it, and that she knows I'm not using my iPhone or iMessage's turned off or outage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
And in my opinion BBM is better than Whatsapp/Imessage etc. its just, that only a few people use it.

That's like saying "Talking to someone face to face is way better than e-mail... now if only they were somehow here in the room with me."

This's because he's too dumb to turn off all emails used with iMessage

Yeah, he should just log into iCloud in the web and change all the iMessage settings and...oh. Wait. You can't do that if you don't have the phone anymore? Like if it's lost or stolen your only option is to buy another iPhone to fix this issue?

Hmmm. Kind of seems like Apple's problem then, doesn't it?

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
This's because he's too dumb to turn off all emails used with iMessage AND his phone# on other iOS device.

How can he do that if he doesn't have his iPhone any more?
Why should he have to run down a whole lot of rigmarole before getting rid of an iPhone?
And even if he could, how could he if it was stolen or lost?
Why does apple provide no simple way to at best automatically switch this off, or at worst allow it to be done manually?

We've been through all this before,bottom line it's an apple bug, it's not the users fault, and IIRC there is currently a class action suit running about it,

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
People claiming they've never received spam on iMessage are the same people claiming they go 3 or 4 days between charges on their iPhone.

It's a pattern, on the MR forum.

fallenjt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2013
Wow. Nice spin. The complaints came from people completely unaware that if they left iOS their ability to text message would be in total limbo for days or weeks. By the way, the solution you are suggesting is completely the opposite of how to solve the issue.

The point is once you take the SIM out of the phone, iMessage errors will appear in other iOS trying to send message to you unless you have more iMessage devices configured with the same phone#. why people want to receive iOS messages sent to your iphone# on iPad or Mac?

fallenjt

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2013
How can he do that if he doesn't have his iPhone any more?
Why should he have to run down a whole lot of rigmarole before getting rid of an iPhone?
And even if he could, how could he if it was stolen or lost?
Why does apple provide no simple way to at best automatically switch this off, or at worst allow it to be done manually?

We've been through all this before,bottom line it's an apple bug, it's not the users fault, and IIRC there is currently a class action suit running about it,

Dude,
If logging out of iMessage/turningit off before getting risk of it is a rigmarole, then these users deserve the issue. common sense for a normal user is when he/she gets rid of a phone, he/she should reset the damn thing to remove personal stuffs in there.
BTW, If it's a bug, it should happen on every phone not just a few.

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 45

joejoejoe

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2006
This's because some people are too dumb to turn off all emails used with iMessage AND their phone# on other iOS devices. iMessage can be configured to receive messages sent to phone number OR any email associated with it OR phone number ONLY. I have a MAC, iPad and iPhone with iMessage configured differently: iPhone can receive any iMessage (sent by another iPhone and other iOS devices) while Mac and iPad only receive from non-iPhone iOS devices. If I don't want to receive imessages from other iOS devices except iPhone, I just simply remove those emails in my iMessage configuration by logging out iMessage.
When I take my SIM from iOS out and put it in another phone, my wife iPhone can only send me a Green message because the Blue message got an error with red "!" on it, and that she knows I'm not using my iPhone or iMessage's turned off or outage.

i'm really happy for you that you're so tech savvy and know how to do this.

for the record, my friend had no other mac products. she has a windows laptop and no tablet.

this is a highly documented problem of apple's. there's a glitch in their system.

but again, really glad for you that you don't have this issue.

why is it hard for people to understand that there are ways in which apple can improve?

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
For something that is being reported as so bad, I have yet to EVER receive an iMessage spam.

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
To everyone who says they don't get spam, good for you. I'm happy for you. You're lucky. But that does not mean the problem doesn't exist. It does. It's annoying. And apple has provided very very very little support to users that are affected to fix the problem.

WoW. Sorry bro. Not trying to pick on you or call you out or anything, but this garbage has to be traceable back to something... like entering some kind of promotion or contest online, buying an iPhone case at a mall kiosk and filling out some sort of form or having your phone number listed with some (unbeknownst to you) sub-ethical website or something. Can't just be random. That's my two cents. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.