BlackBerry users's iPhone-hating obsession = inferiority complex?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ghettochild, Jun 10, 2008.

1. ghettochild macrumors regular

We all know that BB users went bonkers last year, first when the iPhone was announced and then when it come out in June. There were 1000s of posts trashing the iPhone in BB forums at the time.

In May RIM announced the BlackBerry Bold, and although I am currently an iPhone user I'm interested in the device. So, to get more information on the Bold I started to go to BB forums again (I used BlackBerrys before I switched to the iPhone).

So over the last month I regularly visited and read posts on a couple of the big BB forums (e.g., pinstack.com). I gotta say, their obsession with the iPhone is crazy. In anticipation of the new iPhone and now that it was announced there are dozens of threads and 100s of posts trashing the iPhone for any number of (often unsubstantiated) reasons. Seems to me that the users have to affirm each other day after day that the iPhone is trash and BlackBerrys are superior devices.

I don't understand why they are obsessed with the iPhone, but the constant whining about and trashing it makes me think they are jealous, have an inferiority complex, or they are simply sore losers.

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Yeah, kind of weird. You'd think they would be happy that a real competitor showed up (Windows Mobile...Palm...lol) to keep RIM innovative.

3. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

I think you've hit the nail on the head there.

4. CrazEtooN macrumors regular

I too am a BB user, and I know your name from some of the BB fan forums. I am like a one man crusade for mobile device acceptance over at CrackBerry.com... I just get so tired of BlackBerry users making completely false statements about the iPhone. All I try to make them understand is that they can be happy with their BlackBerry and they can hate the iPhone all the want, but they don't need to make false claims about it. I don't know why it is so hard to say you don't like something and drop a few REAL reasons and move on...

I believe the reason they are so uptight about it is actually two part, but both parts stem from the same place, fear.

First is just outright fear of BlackBerry being pushed aside by Apple.

Second is fear of new things. Some of them have it so ingrained in their minds that they can't use, or like, anything outside of their BlackBerry they don't know how to react to anything else.

The ultimate result of these fears is bashing, name calling, claiming it is a "child's toy" (this one is their favorite), etc.

The thing I find funniest of all is how they claim they only bash the iPhone because iPhone users regularly bash BlackBerry. I haven't seen 1/10th the BlackBerry hate on the iPhone forums I frequent when compared to the iPhone hate I see on my regular BlackBerry forums...

5. gusapple macrumors 6502a

gusapple

I am a die-hard Apple fan, but I don't have a problem with people saying the Blackberry is better. (However, I have a problem with people saying that the Voyager is a great smartphone(it doesn't look right and it plays too much into being a consumer based product and not a business product)) Blackberry was the best mobile solution, and for some that is still true.

By creating a mobile platform on a cell phone, they paved the way for the idea of new operating systems being integrated into phones. (I think) They created a market for the iPhone. Also, they set the bar high.

I know that people are jealous, but I get what you guys are saying.

6. phuong macrumors 6502a

i heard Mac users talk trash about Windows & PCs a lot, like Windows is inferior and yada yada. does that also mean Mac users have an inferiority complex, or are sore losers?

i also watched many Pepsi commercials where they try to show that Coca Cola is inferior. and same goes for Fedex vs. UPS, and many other things. does that also mean these guys have an inferiority complex, or are sore losers?

when i have lower grade than my classmate, i do talk trash about her, like how i have to work and dont have as much time to study as she does. does that also mean i have an inferiority complex, or is a sore loser?

my point is, you cannot make people do their things the way you want them to. they pick their BB because it suits them best, and you pick your iP because it suits you. end of story. why do you want them to pick iP when they dont want to?

you are starting one.

7. ghettochild thread starter macrumors regular

You missed my point, misconstrued my post, and even misquoted me.

I didn't say that the iPhone suits me best. I like the iPhone, I also liked the BB 8700g and Pearl that I owned before I switched. I also said that I'm interested in the new BB Bold.

My point is that I don't understand their obsession with the iPhone. Look at the forums, many if not most of the new posts/threads are iPhone related- usually trashing the device. Why not just leave it alone and look forward to the upcoming RIM devices?

8. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Gotta quote one comment I saw about this, from here

People do get personal favorites, and an investment in a product sometimes.

9. alex2016g macrumors member

we don't hate them, we petty them, they are missing out on sooooooo much.:)apple:)

10. phuong macrumors 6502a

they are saying the same thing about you. what's your point?

11. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Oh the irony.

Apple users are of course so well known for being open minded to competing products :rolleyes: :p

12. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

I've been on an iPod touch the past few months and have gotten to love the browser. I used a BB the other day...o boy...the browser was terrible. The little ball thingy just doesn't work. The screen is tiny. The pages loaded very slow, too (no wifi).

13. Radio Monk33 macrumors 6502

+1. I mean really...speaking of company's known for blatant fanboyism and illogical dislike of alternative products..

14. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

Lol, just got back from reading the blackberryforums.
    They're really in a panic, all are flocking to the no cut and paste argument to state that it is an inferior phone.
    What the hell is wrong with people?

Many even go on about touting that the iphone 3g doesn't even have exchange support and doesn't even sync calendars. LOL
    "You can't even search contacts!" hahaha

Can't wait to see or not see their posts after they've been educated on some of iphone 3gs new features.

I was gonna start trolling but couldn't stop myself from laughing.

15. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Seriously. We have no room to criticize.

16. s4play macrumors newbie

Seriously some of you guys need to just relax and do something more important.....

I have both a BB curve and Iphone, both have it's plus / minus so I don't know why you guys get so worked up?

It's not people who by a BB can't afford an iPhone or vice versa? why the hostility???

For one I hate how the iPhone battery sucks a$$ and how come I phone does not have it's own Messenger chat service? That is something I miss a lot on the BB!

r

17. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Ah yes, the "everyone calm down, the iPhone sucks ass" comment. Maybe you should be more open to your own suggestion.

Oh, the iPhone has SMS and will be getting IM clients by September.

18. powderblue17 macrumors regular

Did you people even read what the OP said?. Not that Apple users don't do the same thing to Windows users although most Mac users have actually used Windows so they speak from experience unlike the Blackberry users who bash the iPhone while never trying it. He said that they are obsessed with the iPhone and every topic is about the iPhone and bashing it. I don't see every topic on MacRumors centered around bashing Windows.

19. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

Instant win.

20. phuong macrumors 6502a

just out of curiosity i checked out this website pinstack.com and then it took me awhile to find those bashing topics, but i couldn't.
    then i saw this small sub-forum for iphone burried at the end of the page. ohhh now i understand the words "every topic". it is the sub-forum about the iphone, so of course EVERY topic in it is about the iphone why am i not surprised. just look at the Windows sub-forum in this site and tell me if you don't see some topic like "stupid questions from Windows users" etc pops up once in a while.

21. friekunater macrumors 6502

lmao I love looking at the stupid bb users on crackberry.com

for their top 10 reasons why "iPhone is still no BlackBerry"

#7-no expandable memory

has anyone really ever used up all 16gbs of their iPhone???? who wants a microSD anyway???

I have a 16gb touch and I really want to fill it... but I can't! I have 200 songs (out of which I listen to about 15), 3 movies (seen 'em all), and 3gbs in podcasts that I'm never guna watch... I still have 7gbs left! that's almost half! and I don't even use the iPod feature that much anyway!

no expandable memory my ass...

22. BongoBanger macrumors 68000

BongoBanger

I think it's more to do with hot swapping and using the cards for file transfer. As for 16Gb, some need more than that and I, for one, would definitely want microSD because it's just so handy to have.

23. davefbop macrumors newbie

davefbop

I just started researching a new phone to get (dont laugh but I still have my old Sanyo SCP-4900, phone/battery lasted about 5-6 years no problems lol).The "iphone vs BB war" reminds me of the PS3 vs Xbox360 flames on there websites....well maybe not THAT bad lol. But I guess that happens everywhere, back in the highschool days "Chevy vs Ford" was the hot topic.

24. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

There are two kinds of people in this world.

1. iPhone owners.
    2. Future iPhone owners.

Seriously though, I would not categorize them as having an inferiority complex. Certainly some segment of the Blackberry community wore their device as a badge of honor. Much like people wore their cell phones on their sleeve to "show off" before everyone had one. They were different. They were special, they were hip, they were cool.

I would not say because of specifically the iPhone, but just because with time they no longer held/hold that place of prominence.

As to why they spend their time bashing their iPhone on a Blackberry forum, good question. Probably the same reasons you see the ocassional joker who shows up here spilling his spleen about how awesome their Nokia phone is and its 32 megapixel camera. They have nothing more productive to do with their time.

Some of us, choose to spend are time in pursuit of more productive and positive aspects of our lives and focus on things we enjoy. Other people like to wallow in the misery of things that bother them, annoy them or make them sad. I got to be honest, I don't understand the later, but the internet has proven that a good percentage of people really do enjoy chasing and existing in things they do not like then in things they do.

25. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

I think RIM will lose another 25% of it's existing subscribers plus 40% of their potential new business over the next year.

That in itself is a problem for RIM but it's nothing compared to the problems that are coming next year and the year after that and the year after that...

The only reason RIM are going to pick up any new business this year is simply because it's customers just do not understand exactly how advanced the technology in the iPhone is. They get new business the way Microsoft does - inertia and ignorance.

BB users are spotlighting the 2MP camera as a way of distracting attention away from the 3D accelerated Core graphics hardware, the fact that it runs OS X, the fluid core animation based multi-touch user interface, 667mhz cpu, 16Gig storage, the app store, the coverflow ipod, the safari web browser - well I could go on couldn't I!!

So whilst Apple have sorted the price issues and the enterprise issues people will still desperately try to 'stay put' and keep their BB's. They may hold ground for another year but either next year or the year after the technology and ecosystem differences will grow SO VAST that they simply will not be able to remain competitive with Apple.

The other 'secret weapon' is that Apple have now made it possible to buy an iPhone this year, safe in the knowledge that for a small amount of money you will be able to upgrade to iPhone 3.0 next year - they have effectively erased ANY good reason not to get one now...

iPhone is a serious problem for a lot of companies - I think we are going to see wave after wave of '2MP camera' spotlighting as it's the single ONLY de-tractable piece of tech left in the iPhone...Shame Apple didn't upgrade it just to kill this crap...