blackbook... a collector's item?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by smeowly, Oct 27, 2008.

1. smeowly macrumors newbie

so with the new aluminium macbooks and only the white macbooks still available, will the beautiful velvety-black macbook become a collectors item?

2. DannyBres macrumors 65816

DannyBres

only as much as every other discontinued Mac.... so no i wouldnt have thought so

3. molala macrumors 6502a

I think it will be a collector's item because of the design and because its successor (current Macbooks) lost firewire and has the controversial glass-covered screen. I think it will be like the Powerbook G3 Pismo, the clamshell iBook with firewire, and the 12 inch Powerbook.

4. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I personally think the 12" PowerBook, Titanium PowerBook & iMac G4 are the real collector's items

They are the best designs to come out of cupertino...to date

5. molala macrumors 6502a

Agree about the iMac G4. The only non-portable I would collect.

6. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

Probably not a collectors item... i think (or at least hope) that Apple will bring out a anodized black aluminum Macbook or Macbook Pro.....

Thus making the blackbook not so special but a great beginning in the black notebook market for apple.

7. dckj95 macrumors member

it wont become a collectors item just gonna become an old model which everyone forgets. just like the ibook.. since the macbook came out, has the ibook become a collectors item? no and it should be the same for the blackbook.:)

8. MacJenn macrumors regular

I should of never sold my blackbook for this new 2.4 crapbook. I don't know if the blackbook will become a collectors item or not, no one knows right now, all I know is I never had a problem with mine, but this new one is a lemon.

9. Adamo macrumors 6502

Didn't you try it out before? Can't you return it since it hasn't been fourteen days?

10. tdevers macrumors regular

I love my Blackbook and can't see any reason for getting rid of it any time soon. This is the first that my 2.2 has shown its age. I think I did ok for a year, at least visually. :D

11. MacJenn macrumors regular

It was an impulse buy. My friend bought my blackbook (the day I bought my crapbook) and I bought the crapbook when I saw it at the Apple store. I should of spent more time researching it (bad reviews from a number of non-biased sites) and played with it more. That was my mistake. I talked to the Apple guy I bought it from and he told me a number of people are returning their crapbooks and either getting their money back or upgrading to the Pro. He said they have received a lot of complaints about the new one. That is no surprise to me.

I'm going in today or tomorrow and he said they will swap me out for the Pro for the difference in price without a restocking fee. He said they are very lenient right now on returns because of the complaints on this new one.

12. smeowly thread starter macrumors newbie

i don't get it... i love my 'crapbook'. it's so sleek and beautiful.

i actually bought the blackbook 3.5 months ago, but when this one came out, i sold it away just to get the new one!

13. MacJenn macrumors regular

It doesn't matter if it is "pretty" if it doesn't work worth a damn and is flimsy. I know Apple targets people like you who wants things pretty, but a computer isn't a new dress or blouse.

Oh and I think Apple messed up with the black keys on the aluminum. Looks like a cheap Toshiba. I still bought it and will buy the Pro which looks the same, but it is still a little PC looking to me.

14. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

In forty years time, a black MacBook in mint condition, with all its original packaging intact, and a working battery (no idea what state these batteries will be in in forty years time) will sell on eBay as a collectors item for $2000. Unfortunately, with inflation you will also pay $2000 for postage and packaging :D

15. anim8or macrumors 65816

anim8or

Hmmmm... this sounds like another unhappy customer assuming that the whole line of Alu macbooks is crap!!!!

I bought a new alu macbook, replacing my 2 year old 15" MBP.... i went for it due to its updated hardware in comparison to my MBP and its portability, i have no real need for a work horse on the go as i do most of my intense work at home and simply use my portable for the reason it was made, portability.

I think your taste is just that, YOURS. A lot of people happen to think that the black keys is a very nice design choice by apple, and some dont, big deal its a colour, not exactly gonna stop the laptop from functioning correctly is it? I also do not think it looks anything like a PC.

I think apple have been bold in their design decisions and this new line of laptops is a statement that does stand out and does make people want to buy their products.

What exactly was the problem with your macbook anyway?

I have heard no real complaints apart from minor cosmetic complaints!??

16. MacJenn macrumors regular

Thanks for proving my point.

Oh one more thing a message board is for opinions. I stated mine and you stated yours. No need to point out the obvious.

17. MacJenn macrumors regular

Minor? I guess it depends who you are asking.

1. The blacks are the worse on a modern computer I have ever seen. While the new MB is a tiny bit better screen wise compared to my previous blackbook, it is way worse when dealing with blacks which is needed for me and what I do.

2. The Keys are slanted like it was made by a 5 year old.

3. The battery cover is not tight at all.

4. The space bar is very loud.

5. It isn't any faster than my previous blackbook. Slower on 2 things I do.

Those are major things when you take in consideration I paid over $1600 for this crapbook. I just choose not to get ripoff by Apple and accept this thing. I will get the Pro today or tomorrow. Apple I guess wins again, but at least I won't have to live with this crapbook anymore.

18. molala macrumors 6502a

This is why I never buy Rev A products. Even if there are no major problems, there is usually so much improvement on the next revision that the resale value of Rev A plummets.

I hope you enjoy the MBP. You always have the option of just paying the restocking fee, getting your money back and buying a new blackbook discounted ($1299) or refurb ($1099).

19. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

Seconded. Which is why I have the last generation BlackBook. I wanted it to be right when I bought it and lo and behold this machine is awesome.

Back on topic though, I think the BlackBook may become a kind of symbolic time mark in the Apple timeline. Whether it will become 'collectable' is debatable, but I will say this:

I am sitting in my university library right now. It is a British university so we have a lower percentage of Mac users than the US anyway, but as I look around I can see about sixteen people using generic PC laptops, five people using white MacBooks, and I am the only person with a BlackBook. Oh and they guy behind me has a 12" PowerBook. The BlackBook stands out (most of the PC laptops I can see are Acers in silver/grey and an IBM in its navy blue) more so than the white MacBooks. It is iconic, with its matte black shell, its soft edges and its highly visible Apple logo.

So a collectable? Maybe. An icon? Definitely.

:apple:

20. Let's Sekuhara! macrumors 6502

Let's Sekuhara!

21. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

If there had only been 5,000 or so BlackBooks made then sure, collectors item. But there were millions of those things produced so they aren't that rare to find.

Now a Lisa, or a 20th Anniversary Mac. Those are worth hanging onto (the Lisa more than the 20th Ann.).

22. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I recommend that you open your new MBP in the store you purchase it from. Check the condition of the screen for dead pixles, check the keys, listen to the speakers, and look it over for any signs of damage. This will save yourself some stress if you find one of those (or any other) issues as you will be able to resolve them in store.

Also, be sure you really want to get the model you are looking at, and also consider both generations of MBP if that is what you are after.

Good luck with whatever you end up with!

[​IMG]

23. Tummy macrumors regular

The last couple years saw a great decline in the value of the 20th Anniversary Mac. Down to only a couple hundred. For the last couple years they were selling for around $700-900 or more. I paid $4k for mine in 1997, then bought another one when they went on clearance, for $1600 and sold it for a good profit on eBay when you could not longer get them. The TAM was my first Mac and it still works after all these years. It's laughably slow, but the Bose audio sounds great and I occasionally start it up to watch TV on the 12" LCD. I got a lot of use out of it before it was replaced with a PowerBook G4 as my main computer. I still have all the original packaging, pen/pencil set, etc.

The BlackBook will never be a collectors item. If anything, a mint sealed first WhiteBook might be, since that is really the iconic design for the series.

24. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

+1...I'm still waiting for them to get the iPhone right before I buy one

25. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I hear that. Yeah, even when they were introduced the TAM wasn't a crazy piece of technology, it was just plain crazy. Since it was no more powerful than any regular Performa of those days and really appeared to be dramatically overpriced for even a Mac (It was $10,000 originally).

I don't see technology as having any real collectibility. Consoles perhaps might. But computer collecting is more of a nostalgia trip than financial investment.