Blackbook or base Macbook pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ck37, Jun 30, 2008.

1. ck37 macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

Need help deciding since I need to get a laptop in the next few days.
    Currently using a Thinkpad T43, but after its 4 year run it's time to upgrade.
    Running CS3 is taxing on it, even office is crawling.

Anyhow, want to go back to mac, but having a hard time between the blackbook and Macbook pro.

I don't game, mainly watch movies surf the web, office docs. but do a fair bet of photoshop, learning flash and dreamweaver.
    I might get into editing videos a bit as time goes on. always had interest in it, but the thinkpad I have cant hack it.

I don't care about the new stuff because Apple always seems to need 6 months with a new product to get a lot of kinks out.

Want something durable, portable but more importantly want a machine I can keep for two years plus.

Blackbook looks like the best option dollar for dollar but something is telling me the pro is more future proof. Am I right thinking this way? or would the blackbook be sufficient.

Thanks.

2. MacFanatic08 macrumors member

The Black MacBook IMO is the best computer for the money, and for the speed. Now even if you will sell it in two years, you'll be able to sell the MBP for around $1000 less than you paid for it, and around 6-800 less for the MB, the MB wins all the way. :D

3. 7031 macrumors 6502

I would definitely say the pro is more future proof. Not only does the pro have a better graphics card, but it also tends to be more durable. Seriously, have you seen how many people post saying their macbooks have cracked? Never seen that with a Macbook Pro :p.

4. macworkerbee macrumors 6502

I'm going to go the opposite direction. The macbook pro will be better for you if you're using CS3 and Photoshop especially because of the improved graphics and larger screen. Go with the MBP and you'll probably be happier for a longer period with the laptop.

5. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

6. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

if you are going to get into video editing then get the pro

7. cazlar macrumors 6502

If you are thinking dollar-for-dollar, the white MB beats the black (though I would pay more for the black myself).

It depends on whether you value the screen size vs portability, and the MBP extras. Coming from a 12" PB, the black MB I was using was great, but since I recently swapped that for the low end MBP, I do appreciate the extra screen-size, especially as portability is no longer a priority for me. I love the backlit keyboard too :)

As you are looking at graphics, and maybe video, I'd suggest MBP - those multiple palettes and inspectors etc tend to fill up small screens fast. And if you move onto using Motion, I think that requires a GPU (at least it will run way better on MBP)?

8. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

I usually don't recommend MBP unless the user really has a need for it. In your case, I think the MBP will be a better option if you can afford it. I have a MacBook, and when I edit pictures using Photoshop Elements, the CPU usage goes nuts. A dedicated graphics card will help alleviate that problem. Moreover, since you will be stressing the CPU/GPU, there will quite a bit of heat generated. The aluminium case will act as a big heat sink. Also, 15.4" is ways better than 13.3" screen when editting pictures, especially when you are working with the various palettes. Trust me :cool:

9. ck37 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah white is a better deal, but my flatmate has a white one and I am not a fan of it.
    Right now I'm using a 14 inch screen which is okay for photoshop, doesn't really bother me as much.
    I used to have a 20" imac G5 which was great for screen size, but I started pushing the limitations on that when doing graphics work.

As far as video, I would say imovie type stuff, but the thing is in two years the possibilities of taking on something new are highly likely, especially with the way software is becoming more user friendly.

As far as portability, I travel a bit for work, and sometimes have to throw a lot of stuff in a backpack or sling bag depending. Weight is about the same but size is different Something that I need to consider.

Also on a side note, I heard the macbook can handle motion though it hasn't been disclosed yet.

Thanks so far for the comments.

10. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

The MBP is $400 better than the Blackbook so watch Amazon and you should get into the $1700's.

11. happylau macrumors member

MBP + 4GB RAM from Crucial and you won't regret it.
    If you want to save some extra bucks get a refurbished one, they're really good, no problems at all.
    I'd say CS3 needs the dedicated graphic card to run smoothly so I'd just choose the MBP for this. Plus the 15'' matte screen is great!!
    I went for the MBP after having the same doubts as you and I don't regret it :) Have fun!

12. jamie329 macrumors member

For what you plan to use it for, assuming the extra money isn't an issue, definitely go with the MBP.

The MBP screen is far superior to the MB screen. Not only in size, but also in brightness and color. For any graphics/video work, you'll want the MBP for the screen alone. Add on the extra GPU power and I think it's clear what the better option for you is.

13. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Go to Apple Refurb NOW!

They have a 2.5GHz MBP (256GB GFX) on Apple Refurbs at this moment for $1899!

14. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

coming from me, i bought a macbook 5 months ago, i sort of regret not getting the macbook pro. If only for screen size, a bit more power.

however the macbook has handled everything i throw at it thus far. I do alot of music editing, photo editing in aperture, and moderite movie stuff in imovie. I dont do extensive photoshopping so i am not sure how well it stands up on the macbook. But again, if i could re-do it i would probably pay just a bit more and pick up the pro.

but, dont get me wrong. I love this bloody computer. I am amazed at how well its been proforming. -hugs the macbook-

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

When I was deciding back in January, I got the MBP because of the larger screen size.

16. kjs862 macrumors 65816

kjs862

If your going to do a serious bit of video editing I'd say go with the pro, if not go for the blackbook.

17. TSE macrumors 68030

Go for the MacBook Pro, the screen size really helps with photoshop.

18. Hmac macrumors 68020

19. kabunaru Guest

You don't need a MacBook Pro and it will be waste of money for you. Get the MacBook. Then follow your heart on what colour to choose.

20. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

I say wait 2-3 months for the update of the MacBook so you'll have the newest and best machine possible.
    If that's an option for you.

21. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

The MacBook vs. MacBook Pro debate will never end.

Personally, if I could spend that kind of money, I would get an iMac and the base MacBook model. I would get a very powerful desktop when I'm home, and a very capable computer on the road. But, then again, that's just me, and the OP is not me :D

22. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

I 100% agree with you.
    Infact, that's exactly what I'm saving for at the moment. Haha :)

23. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Ugh, neither Photoshop CS3 nor Photoshop Elements make use of the GPU.

I say go for the MacBook. One of my favourite things about it is the keyboard - it's infinitely better than the MacBook Pro keyboard. Also, MacBook is much more durable than MacBook Pro because it is made of plastic. I've seen plenty of dented and cracked MacBook Pros on my campus, but all of the people who have MacBooks don't have this problem.

24. BryanLyle macrumors 6502a

BryanLyle

Well, if you want an LED screen that turns on instantly, a back lit keyboard and auto-dimming screen, then go for the MBP.

25. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

"turns on instantly" is completely misleading. Yes, LED will reach full brightness more quickly, but it really is not worth spending this kind of money on. Same goes for the backlit keyboard - if you're using the computer in the dark then I've found the light from the display is enough to illuminate the keyboard.