Blackbook or Entry-Level Glassbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by rmc4139, Nov 10, 2008.

1. rmc4139 macrumors newbie

My needs are pretty run-of-the-mill. Internet constantly, occasional word processing, watching DVDs, playing music.
    A 2.4ghz Blackbook with 2GB of RAM and a 250GB hard drive is the same price as a 2.0 ghz Glassbook with 2GB of RAM and a 160GB harddrive.
    I know that the glassbook has a faster front bus and faster ram, but would it overall outperform its black polycarbonate counterpart?

2. dbdynsty25 macrumors regular

Yes, but it doesn't sound like you'll need it. The faster processor in the BlackBook will definitely keep it in the same ballpark though.

3. azdmelani macrumors member

I was debating whether to get the black book or new macbook. I figured for the extra money I would be better off getting brand new technology. I have had it for close to a month and dont regret my decision one bit!

4. redsteven macrumors 6502a

redsteven

Wouldn't the newer one have better battery life as well?

5. qwikrex macrumors member

I was contemplating between a refurb Blackbook or a Glassbook as well. The Nvidia 9400M graphics and faster RAM swayed me toward the Glassbook. Not to mention the sexy Aluminum unibody construction. The glassbook just feels like a more solid notebook compared to the previous gen plastic ones. Picking up my whitebook just doesn't feel the same.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

If you want that cool factor and latest technology with your computer, then take the Al MacBook.

However, if you don't mind and want a decent Mac for a good price, then the BlackBook is a great choice also.

BTW, either one will fit your needs, since none of your needs you described require excessive power from the Mac.

7. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Unless you need Firewire I'd take the NewBook over the OldBook.

8. rmc4139 thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't need firewire for anything. I was comparing benchmarks on MacWorld and the 2.4 ghz 2gb White/Black Macbook outperforms the new 2.0ghz glassbook.
    If I bought a refurb, I could save $300 from the glassbook price. I like the cool factor just as much if not more than anyone else, but I don't know if I can really justify paying that much more for less performance.

9. qwikrex macrumors member

Given your uses, you prob won't see much of a need for the better graphic performance the aluminum macbook would provide. Another thing. If you plan on upgrading to snow leopard when it's released, it would benefit you to go for the newer model.

10. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Wrong. The black 2.4 outperforms the new 2.0 in benchmark scores. If the OP adds 4GB on the black for $25 then it is a lot faster. If he put in 4GB in the new one it will cost him about $150. Maybe when Snow Leopard comes out the new 2.0 will perform as well as the black 2.4, but not right now. Benchmark tests show the black about 15% better overall right now. The black will also run just fine on Snow Leopard. The GPU is better on the new one and no one knows for sure how much Snow Leopard will take advantage of it, but it will. That is where the new one has an advantage, but I doubt it will make up the difference it is now.

Both are good options. Good luck.

http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog/2008/10/macbook-and-macbook-pro-performance-october-2008/

11. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I personally love how BlackBook's look, so I'd go with that, but either will fill your needs fine. When it is all said and done, it's a matter of what one you like the looks of better.

12. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

To OP: If you are really looking for the biggest bang for your bucks, why not consider a macbook in the used market (ebay, kijiji, craiglist). For example, you should be able to find a 2 or 2.16 GHz blackbook for ~$800. Take good care of it, and you can probably sell it for ~$500 two/three years from now. (The G4 ibook are selling $4-600 on ebay now).

13. Farkum macrumors newbie

The blackbook may be able to process faster but if you plan on running any games get the glassbook. I had to run HL2 on lowest res settings because of the ****** video card in the old macbooks but on the glassbook I can run almost all my games on full video settings.

14. D.M.S macrumors member

was in the same boat.

Considered paying the extra $$ for a new aluminium backlit macbook but when I ventured into store and saw them in person any ideas of this went out the window and walked out with a white macbook.

Not a fan of this new aluminium and black keys design at all.Still getting used to no backlit keyboard but it still works OK in dim light being they're actually white keys

15. rmc4139 thread starter macrumors newbie

The Apple Online Store has a refurb White Macbook with a 2.4 ghz processor for only 999, which must be a special discount because they have one with a slower processor at the same price.
    I have no qualms about buying refurbished. In fact, I'd almost prefer it after all the QC problems I've read on here.
    But let's not get into the "5% of people cause 95% of problems; macrumors is full of whiners" discussion, I know.
    Regardless of what I choose now, I'm purchasing a laptop in a year and a half for college (I'm a junior) so anything for the time being doesn't necessarily have to be kicking for a lifetime.

16. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Go for the white book then. It's an awesome machine that will last you for years to come.

17. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

18. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I've been around for months, have seen tons of threads ranting about new, only TWO on refurb products, both of which where resolved.

Don't base your opinion on only one thread.

19. rmc4139 thread starter macrumors newbie

That article removed any qualms about refurbished products that I had.
    An aluminum replacement for a faulty blackbook with the same specs sounds pretty fantastic.

20. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Apple will give users who have their PowerBook break down on them a new MacBook Pro as a replacement, there has even been someone who got a G5 that was out of warranty replaced by a new Mac Pro.

Their support is AMAZING.