Blackbook or Macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by redking31591, Nov 3, 2008.

1. redking31591 macrumors 6502

my aunt is about to buy me a computer this week. Should I ask her for the 2.4 ghz blackbook brand new for about 1200 or the new unibody macbook with 2.0 ghz for 1300. price does not really matter.

2. i0Nic macrumors 65816

3. dizzlemizzle macrumors member

i'd get a blackbook...more power and cheaper
    doesn't have the new screens or trackpad but you have to figure out if those are important to you or not

4. redking31591 thread starter macrumors 6502

will the old intel intergrated graphics be of any use with Snow Leopard's open cL

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agree. Black MB offers excellent value. Additionally, it's a tested and tried machine, whereas glitches might yet appear in the new MB which would need to be addressed.

Cheers

6. redking31591 thread starter macrumors 6502

will i notice the diffences in the front side bus and the memory speed between the old and new macbooks?

7. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Honestly I'm not sure why everyone is suggesting the black macbook over the new one. Sure it's a bit cheaper and 2.4ghz instead of 2.0ghz, but the other improvements in the new macbook far outweigh those things. Especially since the OP isn't buying it himself and price doesn't matter so much, I don't see why you wouldn't get the new one.

In a year's time the blackbook will feel old.

The new 2.0 AL macbook you get a much sturdier and nicer looking body, LED screen, faster memory speed, faster FSB, multitouch glass trackpad, ambient light detector and most importantly a much better graphics card. AND a design that will be current for the next few years. Also the new MB will be much better for Snow Leopard.

Just get the new macbook and be happy.

8. jade macrumors 6502

And weighs 1/2 lb lighter. Not to be discounted when you are traveling with you MB. :)

9. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

Do you need firewire? If no, get the new macbook, or a whitebook for a saving.

10. Snide macrumors 6502a

Snide

Aluminum case is great for blocking Wi-Fi...

The Wi-Fi reception on the BlackBook will be far superior to the new MacBook.

11. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

I have both and haven't noticed a difference.

Get the new one!!! Heck, if money doesn't matter, get the 2.4 aluminum! I freaking love mine.

12. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

It is. I read articles on it and whenever my friend (he has the new alu Macbook) and I are at the cafe or at the University, my Blackbook gets a lot better reception. That is to be expected though.

On the screen issue the new alu and the previous gen have the same quality or should I say the same low quality screens. Both are horrible for the price we pay.

Nicer looking: Depends who you ask--Personally I don't care for the 2-tone alu Macbooks--looks very HP to me--that isn't a knock on it, but my personal opinion. Then again I don't buy a computer because it looks good. I know many of the kiddies do, but I look at what is best for me performance wise and what I feel comfortable using.

Weight: 1/2 pound is really nothing if you have any strength at all. I carry over 20 pounds a day to school. 1/2 pound is nothing. You can decide if that HUGE :) 1/2 pound is a big deal or not.

OP buy what you want. This site is great, but remember everyone has their biases (myself included) and will argue their choice is the best. Always verify any info you get from here. Look at your needs and look over independent reviews on it along with the specs. Then make the best decision for you.

I think both Macbooks are awesome. You can't lose.

13. nufanec macrumors regular

eh... less power

14. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Wrong. The 2.4 Blackbook has more power than the new 2.0 alu Macbook. Here ya go:

http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog/2008/10/macbook-and-macbook-pro-performance-october-2008/

About 15% more power overall. If the OP adds 4GB of RAM in the Blackbook for $25 from Fry's it isn't close. To upgrade the new 2.0 alu Macbook to 4GB's then it will set him back $150.00 and it still will be 15% less powerful than the Blackbook.

We can argue about Snow Leopard (which is 6-12 months away) and how that will effect performance, but I doubt it will make up 15% difference.

In real life comparison, my friend who has the new alu 2.0 and I tested different apps against each others laptops and mine was faster. He also upgraded to 4GB's. I like his new Macbook, but it is a fact it is slower right now.

15. TSE macrumors 68030

If you aren't going to be playing any games, the blackbook would be a better choice.

If you are going to do light gaming or maybe some high end games with the graphics set to low, get the UniBook.

The 2.4 version of the UniBook, IMO, is not a good value, because just for a little more you can get a MacBook Pro and for a little less you can save your money and get practically the same laptop without the backlit keyboard and a little slower processor. I have a MacBook Pro and even in pitch black lighting, I tend to never look at the keyboard so the backlighting does nothing for me.

16. redking31591 thread starter macrumors 6502

Will spore run on the black book and will age of empires 3 run under bootcampp

17. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Even light gaming is fine on the previous gen.. I agree if a person wants to do some medium to heavy gaming then buy the alu Macbook. However if they really do a lot of gaming then the Macbook Pro is the way to go.

18. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I play Spore on my Blackbook in both OS X and Vista (using Bootcamp) and it runs fine on low setting. Age of Empires 3 will also run fine on it. Both will run better on the new one though. I just didn't buy a Macbook to play games a lot (no one should buy any Macbook primarily for games--not built for that). I use my gaming system and desktop for that.

19. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Get the Aluminum

I can't belive people are still recommending the plastic macbook over the new one :confused:

pros, Courtesy of AppleInsider:

Dramatically improved build quality
    Major upgrade to video performance
    Noticeably better LCD
    multi-touch trackpad
    Good battery life
    Runs cooler

Regarding the video, Courtesy of AppleInsider

20. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Please tell me you were smarter than buying a Macbook for gaming(numerous posts by you refer to gaming--that is why I ask). That wouldn't be smart. It wasn't BUILT for that. While the current Macbook has better graphics it is still a far cry from anything close to great graphics needed for gaming. Yes it is better than the previous one, but it is still integrated at the end of the day. Once new high end games come out in 1 year or more, it won't be able to handle them.

21. TSE macrumors 68030

There is no way in hell the aluminum macbooks can handle heavy computer gaming. Number 1) Laptops aren't made for heavy gaming. Number 2) The MacBook is a midrange laptop with an average laptop card. Number 3) Let's see the Aluminum macbook play games like Crysis, CoD, etc. with high settings running at atleast 1920x1200.

22. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

You are right. I should of used a better word to describe it. As I said in my above posts, it is stupid to buy ANY regular Macbook for real gaming. It wasn't made for it. Old games and some current games are OK, but not great. My friend has a new one and it runs some alright, but not nearly great. Buy a gaming machine, maybe a Macbook Pro( way, way, better than the integrated graphics of the Macbook with a good screen) or desktop for real gaming.

23. redking31591 thread starter macrumors 6502

Will I notice the fsb and ram speed differences

24. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Not to be a smart---, but by the questions you are asking probably not.

25. JBazz macrumors 6502

If it is for your aunt, she will notice the 1/2 lb difference. I had a black macbook up until I got the new brick macbook.

As a woman, I carry around a lot of stuff already, so size and weight matter.

Plus, again as a woman, the black was always just too black for me. I had to try and jazz it up with some color.

Function wise, I havent noticed much of a difference in speed or wifi. The new macbook just feels so much more sturdy (again, i wont have to worry about the cracking anymore). I can pick it up by one corner and it wont creek, it just feels solid. The black also will wear on the finish leaving areas of shinny black. It makes it look worn and old.