Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

handofgod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2017
hello everybody!
i want to buy on ebay blacklisted iphone to use it in Europe (mostly in Russia). I read a lot about that, and as i understand – it will work here without any problems.
But i still don't understand which one would be better to buy: AT&T blacklisted / sprint bad esn / verizon bad esn ? i mean, which one would be easier to unlock, or even to use from the box without any unlock.

as i understand, the best option is unlocked blacklisted iPhone. but there is lack of such auctions on Ebay.

thank you for your answers!

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
Not sure anyone will help with a stolen/not paid for phone. Nothing worse than encouraging a thief.

CE3

macrumors 68000
Nov 26, 2014
If the phone is listed as having a bad imei, eBay and papal certainly aren’t going to give you your money back if you can’t get it activated.

It may be a cheap price, but not if it ends up being money down the drain.

Reactions: 44267547

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Here is where the issue with the blacklist breaks down.

There is a shared blacklist between the four US carriers. If one carrier blacklists you then your IMEI is supposed to be shared with that list and be blacklisted on the other three carriers.

In reality, this rarely happens. Blacklisted T-Mobile devices for instance will function normally on AT&T.

Further, there is an international blacklist that is also supposed to be shared. If blacklisted in the USA that IMEI is supposed to go into the global list. And vice versa.

Again, it rarely, if ever happens. Which is why there is still a market for blacklisted USA devices overseas.

The breakdown occurs because of money. It benefits a carrier to have a new sub or to retain a new sub, even if that sub is using a blacklisted phone. Turning that sub away because the phone is blacklisted affects the carrier's ability to profit, even if only with an activation fee.

Since there seems to be no penalties for not sharing or complying with both lists this will continue.

Last edited:

handofgod

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2017
Givmeabrek , T'hain Esh Kelch , thank you so much for your opinion, i absolutely agree with you, but it is very deep topic, obviously not for discussion here.

CE3, you're right, it is risky. that's why i wanna find out which one to buy and how can i unlock it, to make a decision if this purchase worth it.

Here is where the issue with the blacklist breaks down.

There is a shared blacklist between the four US carriers. If one carrier blacklists you then your IMEI is supposed to be shared with that list and be blacklisted on the other three carriers.

In reality, this rarely happens. Blacklisted T-Mobile devices for instance will function normally on AT&T.

Further, there is an international blacklist that is also supposed to be shared. If blacklisted in the USA that IMEI is supposed to go into the global list. And vice versa.

Again, it rarely, if ever happens. Which is why there is still a market for blacklisted USA devices overseas.

The breakdown occurs because of money. It benefits a carrier to have a new sub or to retain a new sub, even if that sub is using a blacklisted phone. Turning that sub away because the phone is blacklisted affects the carrier's ability to profit, even if only with an activation fee.

Since there seems to be no penalties for not sharing or complying with both lists this will continue.

thank you for your detailed answer on the topic! do you think, it will be possible to unlock blacklisted phone outside USA ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.