blackra1n 3gs - help!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Bioz, Nov 1, 2009.

1. Bioz macrumors newbie

Hello everyone!

I just bought me a Iphone 3gs 16gb. (first iphone ever). And i found Blackra1n for the mac - my buddy told me to use it because he used it for windows and it was quick and easy. When i open the program, i click "make it ra1n" it put my iphone in recovery, and it then says "your iphone is now jailbroken" and then it says "done, wait for reboot" and it stays there. And on my iphone it shows the cord and itunes symbol. Should i use another jailbreak or am i doing something wrong? Please help.

2. polobreaka macrumors 6502a

3. Bioz thread starter macrumors newbie

Waited a good 10 mins and it didn't move. Is it because im using 3.1 firmwire?

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You may be victim of the infamous new bootrom. To tell exactly what to do, I need you to post the first 5 letters/numbers of your serial. That way we can determine what week number your iPhone is. Week 37-40 are 50/50 chance of getting new bootroom. Week 40+ iPhones have the bootrom.

5. Bioz thread starter macrumors newbie

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

7. Bioz thread starter macrumors newbie

Figured. . =/. So i can't do anything but wait now?

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I thought GeoHot revised blackra1n to work with 3GSs that have the new bootrom? It'll be a tethered jailbreak, but it should work.

Did you download blackra1n from: http://blackra1n.com/ ?

9. polobreaka macrumors 6502a

i read somewhere about that too.. maybe you need blackra1n rc2 or something? i dont recall..

10. Bioz thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah i downloaded it from there - mac version. And it just stayed at "done, wait for reboot" and all it showed was the ipod cord and itunes symbol.

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Weird. Maybe you should try going over to your buddy's Windows machine and see if the Windows version will do it.

12. Bioz thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, new problem. It worked to hack it with blackra1n, on my mac. I installed Cydia, and got installous. I was trying to install a theme for my slider, and i told me to reboot device and when i do it just shows the ipod cord and the itunes symbol. So i restored it, hacked it and i tried installing winterboard and the same thing happened. Any idea why? One hack was on windows and the other was on my mac.

13. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Since you have the new bootrom, you have a tethered jailbreak.

Everytime you reboot after installing something, or the battery goes dead, or the phone takes a XXX and has to be rebooted, you will have to hook up to the computer.

That's what a tethered JB is.

I'd see if you can swap the brand new phone for an older one (maybe Craigslist), as it's gonna be a PITA !

14. Bioz thread starter macrumors newbie

When i plug it in, itunes says it is in recovery mode. And i can't do anything but restore it. What do i do?

15. jason221 macrumors 6502

I have an iPhone 3GS jailbroken via blackra1n. Just got it as a replacement last Friday. My serial number starts with "5K941" and yet I can reboot with no problems. I just did a hard reset and it still works. :confused:

16. Bioz thread starter macrumors newbie

When that happens, am i supposed to run blackra1n again? does anyone know?

17. dread macrumors 6502a

I think your iphone is a refurd, my latest replacement serial starts with 5 as well. all the other ones start with 8.

18. jason221 macrumors 6502

Yes, it is a refurb, but its serial number still claims that it's a week 41? Is the serial number revised when the phone is refurbished?

19. dread macrumors 6502a

Yes I got a refurb a month or so ago and it is week 35.

20. fdxgnd macrumors regular

Hi. The jailbreak does work. I have the new bootrom too. All u have have to do when blackrain is done and shows itunes cable is unplug the phone, plug it back in, and run blackrain again. I did it 7 times. Worked flawlessly every time. Hope this helps