Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stike

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Germany
Do you have your ECID SHSH on file with Saurik? If not, downgrade's probably not going to be an option. Besides, what's wrong with Wi-Fi? It's faster than USB, and battery life issues can be prevented by just plugging in your iPhone.

I had hoped that a jailbreak exploit makes it possible to downgrade without this ECID of 3.0.

WiFi is of course not faster than USB, and having WiFi active on iPhone AND on the laptop will drain the batteries faster. Not to forget it is a seperate application and not as seamless as Apples 3.0 solution.

I feel pretty stupid for upgrading to 3.1 in the first place.. damn...

dav146

macrumors regular
Dec 21, 2007
Has anybody got internet tethering working after running blackra1n?

If so how / what do you need to do?

JUSTQUAN

macrumors member
Jul 3, 2009
ok, i got this cydia message saying "it doesnt know what version it is running". i downloaded icy and cydia. i guess that was not a good thing to do. so should i do a restore and re-re-jailbreak? lil help...

runebinder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
Nottingham, UK
So, I just tried using Blackra1n and my phone sat in recovery mode after iTunes popped up. Doing restore now (just bought the 3GS yesterday and updated to 3.1.2). Should I try again? Am I doing something wrong? I'm trying to make it rain on Vista

Have you right clicked the blackrain.exe file chosen properties> Compatibility tab and then set the compatibility to XP SP3?

runebinder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
Nottingham, UK
Have used blackra1n and that's jailbroken fine. Word of advice on aptbackup however, some of the repositories I had before now can't be found, every time I open Cydia I get errors as it's unable to fetch data from them.

Am going to restore, use blackra1n again and then add the repositories and apps back in manually as I'm fed up with the errors.

macslayer118

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2008
Dallas, TX
Have you right clicked the blackrain.exe file chosen properties> Compatibility tab and then set the compatibility to XP SP3?

I did this, yes. :confused:

I also disabled iTunes from popping up, no dice.

The application doesn't even seem to run on Windows 7 though... just tried that as well. Why is there no mac version!?!? LOL

MikePA

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
For your voicemail problem. Dial 661 from your phone. Then if I remember right its option 3 option 3 to reset your voicemail password. If you listen to the promts you can get there. That should fix that issue.

It's 611, not 616. Plus, this process only causes ATT to send you a new password via a text message. When you go into the Phone app then Voicemail, you are taken into the set up voicemail procedure. When I click save, it reports 'Saving Password...' for about a minute, then errors with a voicemail not available message.

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
Recommend that users do NOT restore jailbroke apps from one of the backup apps. Recommend that you install all jailbreak apps fresh...some are not working. Had to do a restore to get rid of all the messed up links/files.

My restore was from RYP cannot vouch for the other backup apps.

Acronym

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2008
well after updating to 3.1.2 i ran blackrain, and it litterly took less then a minute even less then 30 seconds.

great program definately worth the upgrade/jailbreak IF you dont need an unlock

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Have used blackra1n and that's jailbroken fine. Word of advice on aptbackup however, some of the repositories I had before now can't be found, every time I open Cydia I get errors as it's unable to fetch data from them.

Some of the Cydia repos seem to just be down right now, none of the default ones, however. And I didn't run Blackra1n, so that is not the reason

Am going to restore, use blackra1n again and then add the repositories and apps back in manually as I'm fed up with the errors.

Goodeye

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
So I am on an 8Gb 3G (NOT a 3GS) so I can make sure cause there have been issues posted.

Since I am not unlocking I need to restore to 3.1.2 then when I am good to go there I can restore my iTunes apps etc. Then I can run blackra1n to jailbreak it then run the installer.

Im only installing cyida can I uninstall blackra1n with no issues? Not sure I want or really need that on there once all is said and done.

atlantatan1

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2009
After few try with windows 7 did not work,try windows XP it take about 2 mins but now I can't get wifi to connect any one get that problem please post back

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
All my iTunes stuff is on my Mac. Can I use another computer (XP) to jailbreak the phone and then use my Mac for it after that?

Acronym

macrumors 68000
Apr 26, 2008
word of caution when and if you get SBSettings installed dont use the respring option it will "freeze" your phone the screen will godim and you can "put it in sleep mode" but when you hit home button it doesnt give slide to unlock, it just shows the "restarting springboard"

All my iTunes stuff is on my Mac. Can I use another computer (XP) to jailbreak the phone and then use my Mac for it after that?

yes you can simply jailbreak on the xp and sync to your mac all your songs and apps etc i JB'd my sisters iphone on my computer but she uses hers to put songs apps etc..

runebinder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
Nottingham, UK
I did this, yes. :confused:

I also disabled iTunes from popping up, no dice.

The application doesn't even seem to run on Windows 7 though... just tried that as well. Why is there no mac version!?!? LOL

I did my through Windows 7 64-Bit RC. I had iTunes open while blackra1n was running, perhaps don't disable it from popping up?

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
word of caution when and if you get SBSettings installed dont use the respring option it will "freeze" your phone the screen will godim and you can "put it in sleep mode" but when you hit home button it doesnt give slide to unlock, it just shows the "restarting springboard"

I second this...it just sat there spinning and had to do a hard restart. After a hard reset...SB worked just fine and I was able to start hiding apps and using the dock.

More to follow...

With a FRESH INSTALL using Cydia/RYP the following have been tested and work without error:

CYDIA APPS:
OpenSSH
BossPaper
Categories
SB Settings
Winterboard
Five Icon Dock
60 Second Lockscreen
Five-Column SpringBoard

RYP APPS:
PDANet

lolvera007

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2009
ok..updated my Iphone 3G to 3.1.2 and then placed blackra1n into my c drive. After I hit make it rain, it says running and the phone stays in recovery mode. I am on Windows XP pro. what am i doing wrong? Is Itunes supposed to be running or do i shut it down? I have tried both with no success. Are there any 3G users who have successfully jailbroken their phones with similar config. as mine? Any help is greatly appreciated....

Chrysaor

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2006
Some of the Cydia repos seem to just be down right now, none of the default ones, however. And I didn't run Blackra1n, so that is not the reason

If you don't want to get frustrated, avoid jb at release date, because of initial rush, a lot of repos tend to be very slow or down.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.