iPod touch Blackra1n untethered?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by amaztheking, Oct 25, 2009.

1. amaztheking macrumors newbie

I just jailbroke my ipodtouch 2g on the 3.1.2 firmware using blackra1n. I've heard blacka1n is unthethered meaning you have to jailbreak it again (which is a quick step when using blackra1n) every time u turn it off or it runs out of batteries but I can still see all my jailbroken applications and they still function fine.

2. mutantblack macrumors regular

I have IPT 3g with 3.1.2 jailbroken with blackra1n as well. Confirm, I just rebooted the touch and rejailbreak with blackra1n, all my apps are there.
    tenthering mean you have to reboot and rejailbreak every single time you turn it off and back on or reboot. Or else, itune will think the touch is in recovery mode.

3. lllll macrumors regular

I have no idea what you two just said, but I do sure want a jailbroken ipod touch so I can play those awesome apps in cydia.

so if I get a ipod touch 2nd gen with 3.1.2, I can still jailbreak it? does this work on any version or just 32gb and 64.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

2nd gen? Don't you mean the 3rd gen (32 and 64 GB)?

In any case, currently, all ipod touches can be jailbroken on 3.1.2, but the 3rd gen 32&64 GB, and the "new" 8GB models with the MC model numbers have to be tethered.

5. mutantblack macrumors regular

mine is 64gb 3rd gen on 3.1.2 and it's tether jailbroken.

6. iAlexG macrumors 6502

iAlexG

I am thinking about jailbreaking.
    What is tethered and untethered?
    and if i jailbreak will all the apps i already have still work?

7. thebub macrumors newbie

thebub

Jailbreaking iPod Touch

tethered is when, if your ipod is jeailbroken, and it turns off somehow, or it ran out of battery, you need to plug your ipod back into your computer every time you boot it up. you will have to open the program used to jailbreak it to make your ipod turn on. most of the time you keep the ipod on sleep anyway.
    untethered is when it will turn on and off like a regular ipod, and you wont have to worry about anything i said above.
    the jailbreak for every ipod except for the third generation ipod touch are untetherd jailbreaks. so if you have the third gen, and your gonna jailbreak it, just keep it on and put it on sleep when you dont use it.
    yes, you will still have all your other apps and they will all still work. ;)
     iPod Touch 2nd Generation User with 3.1.2 firmware

8. Peatar macrumors newbie

After recharging my Touch, ITunes said my Ipod Touch has a problem then it restored it to default settings :(. Do I have to jailbreak again?

9. mutantblack macrumors regular

just run the blackra1n again.

10. DrawnToLife macrumors regular

Blackra1n is tethered and will always be tethered for the iPod Touch 3G.

11. milolethbridge macrumors newbie

Untethered IPT 3g jailbreak blackra1n

Actually I've heard geohot is bringing out an untethered IPT 3g jailbreak just b4 Xmas..... We've yet to see it

12. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

This would be something nice :D
    I hate rejailbreaking it lol. I want to turn my iPod touch off and on as I please :p

13. UngratefulNinja macrumors 68000

UngratefulNinja

He said on his twitter this week that he is not working on an untethered jailbreak.

14. DrawnToLife macrumors regular

He was going to, if he won the balloon contest, but since he didn't, no untethered jailbreak :p

15. mowhawkman macrumors newbie

unteathering an already jailbroken teathered iPod?

i have a 3g with3.1.2 firmware. i jailbroke it with blackra1n. its teathered. can i unteather it using blackra1n without having to reset it and delete all the apps? if i can how can it be done?

16. vahnx macrumors member

If you have the 3G 8GB MC model, you cannot untether it. Also, when you run blackra1n, it will not delete all the apps.

17. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

no you are all wrong, tethering is using your phones internet connection on your computer. a tethered jailbreak is where you have to rerun blackra1n every time you turn off your ipod and turn it back on. untethered jailbreak means that you are fine.

18. joecool99 Suspended

joecool99

is it possible to install applications on non-jail broken touch 3rd gen. ?

they are all located in the iTunes folder, so can the applications itself be modified so it appears like you downloaded them yourself ?

19. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

no u cant. only itunes is capable of installing apps on an unjailbroken ipod. itunes has access to the filesystem of unjailbroken ipods. only itunes, and you cant hack itunes to gain ur own access to it. you have to jailbreak.

20. macoazm macrumors newbie

Tethered jailbreak sucks

I've just blackrained (whatever) my iPhone 3GS... I've just found out I have to re-run this thing every I shut my iPhone off... well... can I just restore my iPhone using 3.1.2 original firmware, the one my phone came with?

21. badgadjit1 macrumors newbie

What about the 32Gb models with the MC model number?
    I have researched a lot and have found some people having problems doing the tethered JB on the 3g itouches

22. No ice please macrumors 6502

I rebooted my Iphone 3g and didn't have to re-break

23. rick.marshall macrumors newbie

3GS Jailbreak tethered/untethered Depends on S/N

The ability to have a tethered vs untethered jailbreak using blackra1n on a 3GS appears to have to do with WHEN your 3GS was manufactured.

For earlier 3GS's (prior to WW40 in 2009,) if you run blackra1n to jailbreak, you will be OK in the event of a power cycle.

For later 3GS's (after WW40,) the blackra1n jailbreak will work, but if you power cycle, your phone will be bricked until you connect to a computer and re-run the blackra1n jailbreak. No loss of data, but your phone is completely unusable until you re-jailbreak.

Here's a video from wahoofan5 on the serial number thingy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEDGjSM9dKs

Oh, here's a much better thread explaining all this:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=833099

Enjoy!

24. alexpyro macrumors newbie

its ok

hey i jail broke my 32gb mc model and it worked fine, i but i do have to re-jailbreak every time runs out of battery :(

it's be kinda annoying but hopefully someone will fix this soon

25. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

U need to run BlackraiN so that it can help it boot whenever you restart your IPT.