Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
I put the 3m tape on the inside of the case and on the the metal band of the phone I use the extra piece of the Bodyguardz dry apply that I have. Since I already have the Bodyguardz installed on the metal band I just cut some very thin strips and put it on the front and back sides of the band as to not let the metal touch the case. So using the clear bodyguardz it will not showed and no tape residue problem.

Thanks!!

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
I've come to some final conclusions for me after purchasing four aluminum cases, The Element Vapor, Karas Kustoms, Casemate Jett and the Blade.

The Vapor worked well losing less than one bar. I sent the Jett back without using it because of reports it scratched the phone. I installed the Blade. It immediately lost three bars. I put the Vapor back on and to my dismay it lost three bars. I taped the inside of the blade and lost less than 1 bar. however if I shifted the phone by pushing it in the case it dropped three bars, which showed me that when metal to metal contact happened at least two additional bars were lost. When I put the vapor back on I was able to make the signal change from more than tree lost bars to less than one lost bar by shifting the phone around inside the case. I shifted the phone by pushing on both faces or by plugging in accessories with a little force.

My conclusion is surrounding the antenna with aluminum but not touching it losses less than one bar. If the phone is installed not quite straight or in an unprotected case it will lose more than tree bars because of metal to metal contact.

At this time I'm using the Karas Kustom case that neither surrounds nor touches the antenna. I get absolutely no signal loss.

phatbass30

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2010
i have no signal issues with Blade, Vapor and E13ctron.

gps issues, yeah with Blade but not with E13tron.

Vapor i still have to try the gps.

nnyymm

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2010
Singapore
I was excited to receive my Blade Silver/Silver today.

However, to my horror, after fitting it. I couldn't fit my Monster Jamz In-Ear Headphones. :(

Yes, the case looks simple yet amazing. I'm rather lost now.

Just to warn consumers out there, some headphone jacks may not fit.

weisjt

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2010
Southern Pines, North Carolina
I was excited to receive my Blade Silver/Silver today.

However, to my horror, after fitting it. I couldn't fit my Monster Jamz In-Ear Headphones. :(

Yes, the case looks simple yet amazing. I'm rather lost now.

Just to warn consumers out there, some headphone jacks may not fit.

you can change out the jack on your headphone with a smaller one for rather cheap if you are crafty, or take it to any computer repair store and they shoudl be able to do it.

nnyymm

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2010
Singapore
you can change out the jack on your headphone with a smaller one for rather cheap if you are crafty, or take it to any computer repair store and they shoudl be able to do it.

o: That is new. I will look around youtube about it though. Thanks!:p

BKR1986

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2011
Terrible signal loss

Does anyone want a full titanium grey Blade Case?
I have a solid 4 bars in my house and within minutes of installing this case, the signal dropped to "no signal" or 1 bar if I'm lucky. I've taped up the inside and was also using a full BSE shield and I am now able to get 1 bar with a flickering second bar. The case looks amazing, but doesn't work worth crap. Wonder if I could use that paint on silicone stuff (for work gloves/boot toe caps). It's for sale if anyone want's to give it a go!

archrider

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
I have a solid 4 bars in my house and within minutes of installing this case, the signal dropped to "no signal" or 1 bar if I'm lucky. I've taped up the inside and was also using a full BSE shield and I am now able to get 1 bar with a flickering second bar. The case looks amazing, but doesn't work worth crap. Wonder if I could use that paint on silicone stuff (for work gloves/boot toe caps). It's for sale if anyone want's to give it a go!

Are you sure you covered all possible metal to metal contact points with the tape. I get a 2 bar difference. If the tape shifts I lose signal immediately.

I know with an expensive product it shouldn't need modification but if it's the only option I'll do it. I don't want to deal with a return to Korea or selling a defective product to someone else.

phatbass30

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2010

i guess i'm very lucky. no signal degradation for me, just the gps a bit mess up on my papago. no tape for me either. i just got a black/red, if i didn't i would buy yours.

Lummi

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2007
Braunton Devon
Unfortunately after having lived with my Blade Ti grey with Red bezel for a week I have just taken it of. I really loved the case & the machine work is top notch.
Trouble is I have a really weak signal anyway & even after doing everything possible to prevent any metal to case contact the signal is still to much reduced. Even the Wifi was being shielded which bugged me more than the phone signal.

I do not believe its anything to do with electrical conduction, as the Blade case is anodised & is electrical insulated. I figure its just a shielding effect caused by the aluminium around the antennas. Which is a real shame for me as I really wanted to use this case.
Anyways I will most likely sell it as I can not see any way to make it work for me. Email me if interested.
:(

SUBZ3R0

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2010
I found the most important thing about this case was to be sure the foam pads didn't get scrunched when you put the phone in, otherwise the antenna will touch metal and then some signal loss can occur.

I never saw more than a couple of dB signal loss.

I loved the looks of this thing. The impression I got was if the guys who did the design for Transformers did a makeover on the iPhone. The red and black looked really nice together, I liked the heft it added to the phone while not adding too much bulk.

The sharp edges on the back were kind of a pain, but I could have gotten around that with a bit of sanding.

If anyone is interested, I'm looking to dump mine. PM me or something.

BadMoon

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
My Blade just arrived today. I snapped a few pics to share. I will post my thoughts a little later after I use it for a bit.

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0050.jpg

DSC_0052.jpg

DSC_0055.jpg

DSC_0056.jpg

DSC_0057.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

iKroes

macrumors member
May 9, 2011
Do you like the case till now? Is it good, cons/pro's?

Would like to know a bit more bout it :)

iKroes

macrumors member
May 9, 2011
I got mine today :) Very satisfied and to answer the question above:

no loss at all! I still got 5 bars where i was getting 5 normally :)

Pictures and short review will come tomorrow

paulml

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2011
iKroes:

Hi there, just wondering if your blade case is original or oem (no offense intended). And what color it is - silver, gray/titanium or black?

A friend traded me a blade case and I couldn't determine the color since its not similar to any of the pics I found online. Yours seems the same with mine with a bronze (kinda red -ish imo) metal frame. I have the red back bezel as well.

Not sure if its just the lighting in the other pics or I'm just going color-blind :p

Also, I really like your back skin with a matte look. Mind sharing what it is?

Thanks!

iKroes

macrumors member
May 9, 2011
As far as i know this is the original one :)

The skin is from stealthguards...it'll only cost you bout 2 dollars or so!

paulml

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2011
As far as i know this is the original one :)

The skin is from stealthguards...it'll only cost you bout 2 dollars or so!

Does it look more bronze than greyish/titanium for u?

Just wondering if my friend traded me an oem one for my bnew otterbox. Guess its original after all. :)

Thanks for the info. The stealthguards you have is matte right? I really like the effect!

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit

from the article:

The iPhone 4's signal strength will drop about 1-2 bars with the Blade aluminum bumper case on that's for sure and WiFi does not seem to be affected. Nothing really drastic that should hinder your iPhone 4 useless but it's something to take into account. Overall I think that the Blade is one of the best looking aluminum bumper cases available for the iPhone 4 currently and I'm sure you will be happy with it considering the price at $69 is a pretty good deal.

I stopped reading after this no case is worth losing bars. ;)

also the problem I have had with most metal frame is they are too thick to dock in my radio or my stereo system not to mention 3rd party headphones.

Last edited:

MemphisDave

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
I won my Blade on ebay last week for $6bucks. yes, $6bucks.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320733364857&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

Anyways, I was pumped about the case. My friend has one but he never leaves the City of Memphis. Since I travel, there are times when I have less than a perfect 3G signal and areas I had 1-2bars. When traveling through those areas with the Blade, I have long periods of no signal. I really wanted this case to work out. I taped it up last night to see if it would help. It only really helped about 1 bar..but I'm losing 2-3 bars due to the case. I took it off today(3 days use). I'd be glad to sell it if anyone is okay will losing 2-3 bars - which isn't a problem in the city, but if you travel...it's a huge deal.

I guess i should stay away from Metal cases while owning an iphone 4.
Cheers,
MemphisDAve

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.