Blame Apple More Than AT&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Resist, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Resist macrumors 68030

While I understand everyone's complaint against AT&T on 3GS pricing, I think blame also has to be on Apple for charging so much for the iPhone. When you look at other smart phones they don't cost nearly as much as the unsubsidized iPhone does.

It also sucks that in the U.S. we have to be locked into a 2 year contract with a service provider that won't allow the iPhone to use all of its features. Apple would you please stop releasing new iPhones until it can be used with other carriers? While it is true you only went with AT&T initially and exclusively because they agreed to your control over the phone's design. But now they are just degrading its new functions. Apple it is time to break this deal with AT&T and let Verizon have a shot at it. You can bet the iPhone would be an even bigger success with Verizon and might even put AT&T out of business.

So if AT&T is listening, then step up or step out. And Apple, for a change how about rewarding your loyal customers over new customers.

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Why blame either one? It's exactly the same kind of subsidy they (AT&T) have had for many, many years now. No one [complaining] seems to remember the unsubsidized $400 Razor vs. $150 (or so) on contract.

The iPhone costs what the market will bear. It's sold at a discount when subsidized - they're not adding a surcharge.

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

An unsubsidized BlackBerry Storm, which is pretty similar to an iPhone, costs $500 without a plan. It has a whopping 8GB of storage (on a micro SD card, which I doubt is as fast as internal flash). So your whole point is, um, stupid.

4. vinay427 macrumors 6502a

vinay427

Agreed! Well said. :)

5. Switz213 macrumors 6502

The original Razr cost 500 with a contract I believe. Don't blame anyone. Blame business and the desire for money.

6. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

Actually, blame the whole industry. The non-subs pricing for any phone is pure lunacy - even for non-smartphones. Since they buy in bulk, there is no way the carriers have to pay that much money. I would like to know the real price AT&T has to pay per iPhone.

7. natasha69 macrumors 6502

i know i'm not following the advice i'm about to give, but please let my post be the last on this thread...

this is the most idiotic post/statement i have ever read. please just don't reply and let this sink into oblivion....

8. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

9. qpid360 macrumors 6502

qpid360

Uh... there's tons of smartphones that cost the same, if not more than an iPhone, unsubsidized.

10. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

For me the iPhone is by far the best phone in the industry. In the past I would normally buy the most expensive cell phone for around $200 (non-smart phone) and keep it for 2 years. The iPhone 16gb is only $200 and the 32gb is $300. To me this is cheap.

My problem has never been with the price of the phone but the price of the data plan ($30) and for text messaging ($5 for 200).

11. dagomike macrumors 65816

+1

This isn't some low end knockoff.

Given I'm paying for cell service anyway, and I don't see the subsidy model going away to reduce my monthly costs, I'd rather sign a two year contract on an iPhone than pay the same monthly rate and getting way less phone.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

What do you think Apple should charge for the iPhone?

Sprint and Palm are charging $549 regular price for the Pre
    Verizon is charging $350 for the Touch Pro with a 2 year contract.

Attached Files:

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Attached Files:

14. rarity macrumors regular

rarity

15. spikedfo macrumors regular

iPhone 3G S just like the final version of the "iPhone".

I really think the previous versions like iPhone 3G are all beta.

Apple want all iPhone users get all different iPhone. It just add some functions and you have to pay for a new iPhone if you want to use the new functions or play the games which only for the iPhone 3G S. :apple:

16. DHarrisDBS34 macrumors regular

I wonder how much assembling the actual iPhone costs. Between all the parts (processors, various chips, case, etc) plus the labor to put it together. It's high quality hardware that they use. It isn't like they're selling you a piece of junk. Apple is a company in the busness of making money, just like everyone else. There is nothing wrong with that. Just because you want the phone cheaper, that doesn't mean you'll get it. If they gave it to you at the price you wanted, they would fail and Apple would close. No more iPhones, no more iPods, no more Macs, no more iTunes. Would you like that?

17. Jman14 macrumors 6502

I would say to make an iPhone it cost between $125-$200(maybe more) PLUS BILLIONS in development for the hardware and OS and MILLIONS paid to people that development

18. DHarrisDBS34 macrumors regular

Agreed very true. Apple makes great products that cost lots of money to create. Nothing wrong with what they charge most of the time IMO.

19. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Well I don't know who is to blame for the current situation, but Apple is 100% to blame for the first generation iPhones that you had to buy unsubsidized AND you got locked into a two year contract.

20. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

21. Jman14 macrumors 6502

How is news from 2007 even reliable these days? Technology gets cheaper everyday, but you still have to add in the devolpment cost and how much apple pays people to do it. My guess to if you broke down ALL the development cost and salarys for people to do it plus the hardware of the phone wach would cost about $400 dollars if maybe a little more or less(give or take)

22. ttech10 macrumors 6502

Here's the deal (IMO, obviously):

Just like their laptops, Apple will most likely have a new iPhone every year. It seems as though you can only get the subsidized price once every two years, we get that now. I think what most people are upset/confused about is why people were able to get the 2G at the subsidized price and THEN get the 3G at the subsidized price, but NOT able to get it on the 3GS. Basically feeling they either need to get the subsidized price again or have a press release from Apple/AT&T explaining why they changed their minds this time.

Particularly at the OP. I'd have to say that where I'm at, Verizon iPhone would be epic fail. There are a few reasons I say that, the biggest is that the closest Verizon store is about 175 miles away. Also, just about every phone maker has an exclusive phone with certain cell phone service providers... it's just the way the business is, something that you don't seem to get.

23. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

As others have said, the unsubsidized cost of the iPhone isn't excessive compared to other smart phones so the whole premise of your original argument is fatally flawed.

Here are some smartphone prices (unsubsidized) from Expansys to illustrate the point

Nokia N97: $689.99
    HTC Touch Diamond 2: $599.99
    HTC Touch Pro 2: $779.99
    HTC Touch Pro: $625.99
    HTC Touch HD: $689.99

24. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

Yikes, one tough crowd.

All I am saying is that two year contracts, while the norm, are to long when the hardware improves so frequently. One year contracts would be great.

Cell phones (especially the iPhone), in general are over priced. Consumers can control the pricing via supply and demand but apparently we won't.

AT&T is muzzling the iPhone's capability in the U.S. market. It's sad that other countries get the new features that we here in the U.S. can't.

Apple released small improvements, when they could wait and give us large improvements. I sure would love to see a flash for the camera and a front facing camera. A matte finish sure would be nice, so I wouldn't have to keep a case on my iPhone to prevent noticeable scratches.

Don't get me wrong, my iPhone 3G has changed my life for the better, the monthly AT&T bill....not so much.

25. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I agree. Seems like a pretty big misstep, on the bright side the fanboy hordes are blaming the carriers for the change in upgrade policy, so it's still ok for Apple I guess