Blistered bottom surface inside microwave?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by GanChan, Apr 24, 2015.

  1. GanChan macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    #1
    My microwave (or maybe just the paint) seems to be developing crinkled or blistered areas on the bottom interior surface. You can see it in the picture, just right of the hub.

    What's causing this? Do I throw the microwave out? Ignore the problem? Have some kind of repairs made? Any advice or insights appreciated.
     

    Attached Files:

  2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2010
    #2
    Looks like the brown device in the center secures that piece. I'd undo that brown thingie (try turning it, gently) and see if I can remove and replace that piece you're talking about.
     
  3. GanChan thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    #3
    I think the brown piece is just there to anchor the glass carousel plate (not shown here). As best I can tell, the whole bottom of the microwave is fashioned from one piece of metal....
     
  4. Huntn Suspended

    Huntn

    Joined:
    May 5, 2008
    Location:
    The Misty Mountains
    #5
    Use it until it breaks or catches fire. ;) Not insinuating the latter will happen. It could be just a weak finish and you'll be there if a fire breaks out, but I don't consider the fire to be a real issue. After you heat something up, remove the glass plate and feel how hot the surface is. As far as I know it should not be hot, but maybe warm.
     
  5. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2014
    #6
    That brown device is the part that rotates (it's connected to a motor) and moves the glass carousel - it aids in distributing the heat evenly. The bottom of a microwave is typically a single piece.
     
  6. firestarter macrumors 603

    firestarter

    Joined:
    Dec 31, 2002
    Location:
    Green and pleasant land
    #7
    The brown bit is the platter rotator.

    The white lower surface of the microwave doesn't do anything really (the microwave generator is in the top - the bottom only holds the motor to rotate the platter).

    Looks to me like the paint on the bottom has got hot and bubbled. It shouldn't actually get hot, so that's weird. Have you ever run the microwave empty? Do you cook stuff using non-microwave safe ceramic containers?

    I think it may have got hot in the bottom because you've run it empty and with no food/liquid to 'soak up' the microwaves, the bottom has been heated up instead.

    Alternatively, some non-microwave-safe ceramics contain metal, and can get really hot because they attract microwave energy. A hot dark plate or bowl would radiate heat downwards and make the paint on the bottom hot. Microwave safe containers shouldn't do this.
     
  7. lowendlinux Contributor

    lowendlinux

    Joined:
    Sep 24, 2014
    Location:
    North Country (way upstate NY)
    #8
    If that paint comes off you're going to get a personal fireworks show.
     
  8. adk macrumors 68000

    adk

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2005
    Location:
    Stuck in the middle with you
    #9
    The paint is going bad. If the paint starts to peel and leaves bare metal watch out for sparks.
     

Share This Page