Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
It was really fun trying to walk over ice and snow mixtures on half-shoveled walkways and driveways this morning trying to get to the Post Office from my apartment. We didn't get quite the snowfall NYC did--only about 6-8", but it was still enough to cause power outages and fallen trees all across our area. Snow is great until you actually have to go out and deal with it (be it drive or walk in it). If the amount is small enough to keep the roads and walkways easily cleared that's fine, but this much snow at once can get to be a bit much. It's kept me from going out and doing my morning run since I don't want to break my ankle after slipping on an icy trail....

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
tveric said:
I made a quick video last night - anyone who says this wasn't a blizzard, I tell you this - I doubt I'll have the chance to do what I do here ever again. So if this wasn't a blizzard, a REAL blizzard might bury my whole house.

http://homepage.mac.com/dianderic/blizzard06/blizzard06.mp4

you do know the definition of a blizzard has NOTHING to do with the amount of snow correct?

It has to be 1/4 mile or less visibility and 35MPH winds constant for 3 hours.

Anyways i have no college today but my brother has school. Only district within 40 miles that has school is my brothers.

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
eva01 said:
you do know the definition of a blizzard has NOTHING to do with the amount of snow correct?

Anyways i have no college today but my brother has school. Only district within 40 miles that has school is my brothers.

Awww... sucks to be your brother! :eek: :rolleyes:

tveric

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2003
eva01 said:

I did NOT know that, thanks!

I know we had the visibility limitation for sure - and it was windy, don't know the exact speed, but definitely windy for more than 3 hours.

Anyway, by nightfall it had calmed down completely. To tell you the truth, I was just looking for an excuse to post the video link here and get some feedback.

joker2

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2003
DC area
Somewhere between 8-12" just west of DC here... (a little hard to tell with the blowing snow and it started to melt soon after it got done snowing...)

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
muffinman said:
well i live in san diego, California, and i just got back from 18 holes of lovely solid san diego golf, in sunny, warm, breezy san diego!:D :D
:p :p :p :p That's not very nice...not very nice AT ALL!

Applespider

macrumors G4
eva01 said:

The UK definition of a blizzard also has nothing to do with the amount of snow. In addition, the visibility, windspeed and time factors are also disregarded.

So long as there were sufficient flakes for it to make the ground white in the South East of England, thereby causing traffic jams and train cancellations, the UK media will class it as a blizzard :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

MacNut

macrumors Core
Original poster
Jan 4, 2002
CT
My muscles are hurting today and I used a snow blower for a lot of it. It was light and fluffy but 2 feet of it is still a lot to try to work through.

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
MacNut said:
My muscles are hurting today and I used a snow blower for a lot of it. It was light and fluffy but 2 feet of it is still a lot to try to work through.

Try flying home from vacation only to have to shovel about 2-3' feet of snow off a long driveway that goes all the way around to the back of the house (down to the basement) by hand all by yourself because the snow blower is broken. That happened to me a few years ago back when I lived in UT. Now that was sore.... Got a few more heavy snowfalls that winter before the snow blower got fixed that required some heavy duty manual shoveling, too. I was hating life....

Still, I feel your pain...

Counterfit

macrumors G3
Aug 20, 2003
sitting on your shoulder
floriflee said:
Snow is great until you actually have to go out and deal with it (be it drive or walk in it).
********, that's the best part! I'm sure iGav would love to spend winters around here, and in my neighborhood especially. We're usually one of the last to get plowed (double entendre NOT intentional), so all the snow usually gets packed before the plows (sometimes in the form of a mid-80s Tacoma :rolleyes: ) comes by and whacks everyone's mailbox. Sometimes I spend an hour yanking my e-brake (see other note about double entendres) going around corners. How I wish I had AWD or RWD... :(

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
Counterfit said:
How I wish I had AWD or RWD... :(

I used to enjoy the beauty of Subaru AWD until we decided to sell it and become a one car family to cut costs. I think one of the reasons I'm very leary about going out in the snow is that I ended up sliding into a curb going down hill (very slowly--maybe 1-2 MPH if that) on what turned out to be a very icy road. AWD doesn't do you much good in those conditions. I ended up bending my wheel and axle because I hit the curb at just the right angle. $1K later I was bringing my car home from the shop all nice and new. That really hurt the wallet so I've been very cautious and anxious driving in the snow ever since.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.