Blocking ALL access to Facebook?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Goldinboy17, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

So I was wondering if anyone knew how I would block Facebook completely from my wireless network. I swear my younger brother keeps coming up with a different way to get through the filter. I've tried changing the account password so he can't download it the app, he made a new account and and used that one. I then tried to enable restrictions on all our iOS devices, he restored the iPod as a new one thinking I wouldn't find out. Now I have to deal with his MyTouch and rooted NookColor. Restricting downloads is irritating on Android devices. As a last resort I'll just turn the damn Wifi off for a month but it'd save me a headache personally if I wasn't forced to do so. Does anyone know how I would go around to blocking any access to Facebook on a NetGear router? I tried asking in other forums but I haven't found an answer. Simply filtering *FaceBook* only blocks the actual site but it can still be accessed through mobile apps. I'd very much appreciate any help!

2. WillEH macrumors 6502a

WillEH

3. ZenoVT macrumors regular

4. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

5. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

6. Goldinboy17 thread starter macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

He's only eleven, it was a mistake to allow him to make an account in the first place. Even after speaking to him about all the dangers I, completely by change, found some "26 year old girl" sending him messages. Not obscene but nevertheless innapropriate. The brat even told "her" his name and the city he lives in. I'm dissapointed and won't allow him to continue using Facebook. I'll change the password for now, just realized that one of my neighbors has an open network that can easily be reached from my home. Now for the manhunt to find him/her and ask them to place a password on it >.>

7. BHP41 macrumors 6502a

BHP41

I don't ever like to get into other peoples children and how thier raised but maybe you should consider a consequence for his actions.

Take the iPhone/iPod/iPad away fromhim until he can learn to be responsible and respect his parents.

Cancel his account as you should have the password.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I would also recommend this.

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Maybe you're taking it a little too far IMO.
    Can you shut off the whole internet, computers, laptops, cellphone and have him not acess anything like it doesnt exist or like he lives in 1980.
    If you turn off Facebook then there's plenty of other risks on the web, not just that one site. Tons of networks, websites, chatrooms, etc.....
    Why not talk to him and educate him about it and maybe supervise his usage at times?

10. ZenoVT macrumors regular

When I was 11, I was entering chatrooms to talk to the ladies (at least i hope they were). Oh, it was the golden age of A/S/L! I turned out fine and so will your brother. We live and we learn.

11. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Now I'm not trying to tell one how to raise their child/sibling, but change the password, take away his devices, then explain to him the dangers when he is ready to listen. It'll be almost impossible to completely block him from FB, and its not like thats the only website.

12. SAD*FACED*CLOWN macrumors 65816

SAD*FACED*CLOWN

Was havinga similar issue with my 12 year old son...I didn't want him to have a Facebook account because he's a Jr. And since our names are the same I didn't want people thinking he was me.

13. xAnthony macrumors 65816

xAnthony

Honestly.. he may be young, but how would you like it if your older brother started changing the passwords for everything. THIS reason is why kids are screwed up these days. You can't just block kids from the real world. He's 11, and he's old enough to start thinking on his own. You need to show him that yes this could be fun to spend time on, but you have to introduce him to the real dangers of giving out personal information. And you have to do this for everything in life. Trying to prevent a kid from doing something just makes them want to do it more.

14. Bentroxell macrumors member

He gonna get raped. You need to slap some sense into him.

15. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

just leave him be ... he will soon realize FB sucks

16. milani macrumors 68000

milani

As others have said, there is really nothing you can do to lock people out. Hell, even China can't lock people out. You'd probably be better off talking some sense into him, teaching him the reason why he has to be careful online. And if that doesn't work... well, there are other, more pointed solutions to such problems.

17. seble macrumors 6502a

Open DNS

Set OpenDNS up on your router, it allows you to block web addresses on there.

Click here

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I also recommend using opendns to block the addresses.

you should also be able to block the address on your router. Each router is slightly different in setting up filters and what not, so you're best bet is RTFM and configure the router to block it.

19. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

what are you scared of OP?

facebook is part of a kids life now a days... SAD but true.

my little brother, who is 10, got a facebook. at first i was very opposed to it, but he made one and he had about 50 friends in a matter of a few days (all legit, everyone he knows). so i can see why he wanted one... so he could stay in touch with his friends.

so if i were you, loosen up and explain everything to him. make his profile private and tell him to only accept people he knows.

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why not let the OP manage network access as he sees fit. Sometimes explaining does not suffice. If the OP feels that access to FB is inappropriate for what ever reason, that's his decision. As for implementing the solutions, I think the OP now has some options to try.

21. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Set up a fake Facebook account of an attractive older girl. Add him as a friend, and arrange a meeting. At this 'meeting', scare the $#%@ out of him. He won't do it again.

22. Dooger macrumors 6502

Why did you give your son the same name? Is it an ego thing?

23. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I swear, Facebook is going to be the downfall of the western civilization.

24. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Just hope its really a 26 year old girl and not a 45 year old man that is an ex-sex offender posing as said 26 year old girl.

Out of curiosity I checked the sex offender map in my area and O...M...G...I live in a little city and there are a million of them.

It doesn't really affect me personally because I'm a male with no kids but geeze.

25. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

OpenDNS is an awesome solution but it does have its limits. Where there is a will there absolutely is a way to get past almost any filtering scheme that is in use.

They will need to ensure that port 53 is locked only to OpenDNS IPs if they want this work. Otherwise he may be able to simply tell the computer to use a different DNS server and this would usurp the OpenDNS filtering. This will be completely depend on the router and its configuration.

Secondly, unless openDNS is set to block proxies he could use an http proxy to bypass these filtering provisions. So in addition to blocking Facebook's URL on OpenDNS, the proxy filtering option should also be selected.

Thirdly, even locking down port 53 and using OpenDNS will not stop him from using a VPN service or an SSH tunnel to bypass the OpenDNS filtering. This one unfortunately is really tricky to try and stop.

So yes you can rely on these measures but monitoring computer use and education would be a good idea in addition.