iPhone X Blocking you tube

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tl01, Feb 16, 2018.

1. tl01 macrumors 68020

I know I can switch my kids’ accounts to request me to approve all of their app downloads, but how can I block YouTube.com on their iPhone and iPads?

2. itegypt macrumors 6502a

itegypt

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

From your home screen, open the Settings app and tap on General. Scroll down to Restrictions and tap it. From there, tap on Enable Restrictions. You will be prompted to create and set a passcode. Enter it twice and then switch the On/Off slider next to YouTube to the off position. This screen also lets you block other apps, disable in-app purchases, and restrict other content.

If you disable YouTube, the app will completely disappear from your iPad until you enable it again via Restrictions in the Settings app.

4. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

There is another way to achieve this: purchase a VPN which its server is located in China. Enable it. Then your kids will not be able to access a whole bunch of “dangerous websites”, including YouTube. ;)
    Unless iPad has some sort of new restriction settings, I cannot disable YouTube app from there. Mind posting a few screenshots?

5. Chazzle macrumors 68000

Chazzle

You’ll need to navigate to the Allowed Content section of Restrictions and tap on Websites.
    From there, select Limit Adult Content. Then, tap on Add Website under the Blocked Websites heading and enter YouTube.com.

This will not only block YouTube, but other websites known to have adult content.
    This is not possible. Also, they are asking how to block YouTube.com, not the app.

6. gpoop macrumors regular

7. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Probably to keep his kids from watching things he doesn’t want them to.

8. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

1. Tap “General”
    2. Scroll down and tap “Restrictions”
    3. Tap “Enable Restrictions” if not enabled yet.
    4. Then, type a secret 4-digit passcode twice.
    5. Scroll down and tap “Websites”
    6. Tap “Limit Adult Content”.
    7. Tap “Add a Website” in the NEVER ALLOW section.
    8. Type in “youtube.com”.
    Just tried this on iPhone X iOS 11.2.5 and it worked beautifully.
    This will block www.youtube.com in the browser, not the app. To do that, relentlesspower's post above should do.

My son is young and can't really search yet, so I just set up appropriate playlists for him, but I would love for a way, if anyone knows, to restrict specific content. I imagine that would be a micro managin nightmare.

9. Shirasaki macrumors G3

Shirasaki

No. It will block ALL apps that are falling into that age range (for YouTube, 17+), including YouTube. It is too vague. Hope iOS 12 will do this better.

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Kid proofing perhaps.

11. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Ok. Well. Hopefully the OP got what was needed in blocking the website. Hopefully, for his intents and purposes, blocking 17+ apps will be sufficient. I don't know his specific needs and his needs are not yours. Was simply trying to explain how to keep the device from accessing YouTube in any format.

Anyway, appreciate the input.

12. Hal~9000, Feb 18, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2018

Hal~9000 macrumors 68020

Hal~9000

In addition to blocking youtube.com in safari via parental controls, have you tried the YouTube Kids app? Might filter out the non-PG stuff you don’t want him to see.

13. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I did not know this was a thing! Home o didn't know I'm unsure. Thank you!

14. gpoop macrumors regular

Meh, kids are going to see/do things they want regardless of how hard you try to prevent it from happening.