Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is considering bundling its subscription services as early as 2020, including Apple Music, Apple TV+, and Apple News+, according to Bloomberg.

apple-tv-plus-jen-800x533.jpg

The report indicates that Apple has included a provision in its contract with Apple News+ publishers that permits Apple to bundle News+ with its other services if it desires. The monthly price of the bundle would presumably be lower than the cost of paying for each service separately in a bid to attract more subscribers.

Apple Music and Apple News+ each cost $9.99 per month in the United States, while Apple TV+ is $4.99 per month.

Apple is already experimenting with at least one services bundle. Last month, the company began offering free access to Apple TV+ to students who subscribe to Apple Music. The offer is available for a limited time only.

The report goes on to cite "some media executives" who said the amount of money they have received from Apple News+ so far has been less than expected. On the other hand, some executives are pleased with the service so far, including Los Angeles Times executive editor Norm Pearlstine.

Article Link: Bloomberg: Apple Considering Bundling Apple Music, TV+, and News+ as Early as 2020

Last edited:

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
This isn’t exactly rocket science. Apple has to bundle a key service that people care about such as amazon did with shipping.
Problem is, that key service is likely to be doing well already and Apple doesn’t exactly want to take from it to bolster the low performing ones.

IMO that’s AppleCare. That’s Apples version of free prime shipping. But it also drives their services growth.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
This isn’t exactly rocket science. Apple has to bundle a key service that people care about such as amazon did with shipping.
Problem is, that key service is likely to be doing well already and Apple doesn’t exactly want to take from it to bolster the low performing ones.

IMO that’s AppleCare. That’s Apples version of free prime shipping. But it also drives their services growth. But it’s also the best time to get people to spend. When you think of the other services as free benefits.

Sorry double post.

Reactions: Six Mac Abs

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Disappointing that they’re pushing a news service nobody cares about. I’d be all over an Arcade, TV, and Music bundle.

I love the News service. I'd rather read thoughtful articles instead of tweets, instagram or facebook posts, or read the latest up-to-the-minute crap on the news sites.

Why do people think if they don't care about something, 'nobody' does?

I'd love if Apple put the services together. Right now, Apple TV, even though price-wise it has a low cost, it's not worth it as there isn't enough content. Bundle it. And maybe someday down the road when there is more content, you can separate it.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
I check out news time to time. Trending is usually buzzfeed top 25 things a millennial says to boomers or something. Not exactly the news I want curated.

News+ is magazines basically. That’s skating to where the puck was a few decades ago. Get the papers. The local ones too. And that’s news.

vmistery

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
It'd have to be compelling and not just a £1/2 discount, at the moment I have spotify and wouldn't mind TV but wouldn't pay for it on its own, a dual Music AppleTV sub for £11.99 would be tempting. Perhaps if it could be bundled with AppleCare+ for all my devices which I also think is too expensive currently as well.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I love the News service. I'd rather read thoughtful articles instead of tweets, instagram or facebook posts, or read the latest up-to-the-minute crap on the news sites.

Why do people think if they don't care about something, 'nobody' does?

I'd love if Apple put the services together. Right now, Apple TV, even though price-wise it has a low cost, it's not worth it as there isn't enough content. Bundle it. And maybe someday down the road when there is more content, you can separate it.

“Nobody” is a sarcastic reference to their lousy subscriber base.

Reactions: AlexGraphicD

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2014
I would like to see Apple Music and Apple TV+ in an enticing bundle, as I have no desire nor intention of getting News + unless it’s effectively gratis.

Reactions: Ar40

GuilleA

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
Buenos Aires
How about rewarding customers when purchasing Apple devices? The free year for Apple TV+ was a great start IMHO.

Free iCloud account: 5 GB
Buy and iPhone, get 50 GB of iCloud Drive and a free year of services.
Buy any Mac, bump iCloud Drive to 1 TB and yet another year of services.

So basically everyone that has a Mac, iPhone, Watch and Apple TV would get a couple of TBs of iCloud Drive and two to three years of free services.

smaffei

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2003
Bundling will happen. Tim and company are feeling the heat from the 10+ million paying subscribers Disney+ is getting.

Unlike Apple TV+, Disney+ actually substantiated it's claim of "millions." And, a lot of those millions will be PAYING customers on 11/19.

How many paying customers will Apple have this year? How many paying customers does Apple even have in these forums? Not many.

moabal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2010
I imagine the bundle will cost more than Apple Music and Apple TV separately as it includes News. Although I would only be interested in a bundle with those two.

Reactions: AlexGraphicD

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
I don't think Tim is feeling the heat because of Disney+, they know they do not have the established franchises and back catalog. What they want is to establish themselves.

If Apple did these bundles I would def get one of them

1. Entertainment Pack, inc. 1 year with new mac or iphone or ipad:
  • 30GB iCloud storage per member
  • Apple Music family
  • Apple TV family

2. Apple Pro Pack (Pro being the new high end)
  • 30 GB iCloud storage per family member
  • Apple Music family
  • Apple TV family
  • Apple Arcade family
  • Apple News family
  • iTunes Match family (is this a thing anymore?)

I would probably use news if it was bundled.

Reactions: tooloud10 and Ar40

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
It'd have to be compelling and not just a £1/2 discount, at the moment I have spotify and wouldn't mind TV but wouldn't pay for it on its own, a dual Music AppleTV sub for £11.99 would be tempting. Perhaps if it could be bundled with AppleCare+ for all my devices which I also think is too expensive currently as well.

Only Apple knows the percentage of those that buy AppleCare. Obviously it does well for them. But an annual or monthly fee that includes AppleCare+ on all your devices plus all the services might interest some. And drive more hardware sales.

Say 10 a month AppleCare. That leaves 25 a month for arcade, music and tv. So we’re at 35. Knock it to 19.99 a month for AppleCare on up to 3 devices and includes those other services.

What you hope for then is a high percentage that opt for it. Or something like that. I’m sure Apple can run these scenarios all day long. At the end of the day though you want to drive sales of hardware.

I’d probably pay it or highly consider it. Vs the nothing they get from me now. I don’t buy AppleCare. Verizon does Apple Music for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: tooloud10

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Bundling will happen. Tim and company are feeling the heat from the 10+ million paying subscribers Disney+ is getting.

Unlike Apple TV+, Disney+ actually substantiated it's claim of "millions." And, a lot of those millions will be PAYING customers on 11/19.

How many paying customers will Apple have this year? How many paying customers does Apple even have in these forums? Not many.

Sure but how many of those 10 million are now paying Apple 2 dollars a month? Apple is feeling good with Disney app. They’re promoting the heck out of it now.

Reactions: archer75
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.