Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
But airpods will still have lightning cause Apple loves fragmentation now.
No snark here, but there probably will be an adapter to use for the transition, until Apple releases the AirPods/other accessory products with USB-C.

MNGR

Contributor
Sep 17, 2019
This should have happened years ago. And it should happen because USB-C is fundamentally better than lightning — more reliable, faster charging, interoperable. It shouldn’t require, or be based upon, government regulation to get this done.
This should have happened years ago. And it should happen because USB-C is fundamentally better than lightning — more reliable, faster charging, interoperable. It shouldn’t require, or be based upon, government regulation to get this done.
USB-C is faster. But not more reliable. Lightning is less likely to have issues with the ports

jecowa

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2006
USB-C ports would allow for faster charging speeds and quicker data transfers, plus it would bring the iPhone in line with the Mac and iPad models that already use USB-C.

USB type-C connectors aren't really going to allow faster data transfer. Apple is rumored to be increasing the speed of the wired connections of their upcoming 2022 Lightning-equipped iPhones this year. USB 2.0 is what's been keeping the iPhone wired connection slow, not the Lightning connector.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I’ll wait and see. For now my 13 Pro will work fine. I can’t wait for this however, being able to plug a flash drive directly into a phone to download files, that will help out immensely!

Reactions: jamesrick80

t0rqx

macrumors 68000
Nov 27, 2021
Suppose they do switch this year. Most iPads use USB-C currently, why do they still need iPhone 14 to retain a lightning port? Just make it happen!
So you upgrade again when iPhone 15 is equipped with USB-C. Do not forget, it isn’t because of technical issues, rather more marketing wise.

Reactions: kkclstuff

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Lightning is a bad port. It's unreliable. There is no reason for it to exist.
There was at one time. It came out before USB-C and was the smallest and fastest port on the market. But the tech has moved on.

IMO, Lightning is a better design and I wish it had been adopted for USB-C. I always have issues with USB-C cables working their way loose. Lightning always stays firmly in place.

Cancelled
Apr 21, 2022
If USB C becomes reality, my guess is we'll see it go [exclusively] to the Pro models but with Thunderbolt 4, and the non-Pro models will go port-less/fully wireless.

Meanwhile, I'm still holding a candle for UWB.

Reactions: DaneLA

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
If USB C becomes reality, my guess is we'll see it go [exclusively] to the Pro models but with Thunderbolt 4, and the non-Pro models will go port-less/fully wireless.

Meanwhile, I'm still holding a candle for UWB.
We could see WiGig 802.11ay wireless, with near Thunderbolt 3 speeds over wireless, but only line-of-sight range.

Reactions: 1885507

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008

Less reliable… by far. As is the case with any cable that requires friction to make a connection and hold it in place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.