Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Bloomberg: First Mac With Apple Silicon Will Be Announced in November

Skullbussa

macrumors member
Jul 1, 2011
Paying hundreds of engineers to do the very difficult job of designing the world’s best microprocessors is not something you do to maximize profits.

They are doing it to control their destiny and to provide the best possible technology so they can make the products they want to mare.

Perhaps, but understand that it could be only a matter of a few years before Apple recoups r&d costs. They're paying Intel a pretty penny for their processors.

Apple has every right to maximize profits. My point is that I do not think Apple has a great track record of understanding what business users need and have odd strategies: namely, trying to push MS Office alternatives that nobody uses.

In a few years, when all the kinks are worked out, if these new devices cannot run enterprise apps from the likes of Adobe, Microsoft, Google, etc as good if not better than their Intel contemporaries without also providing efficiency gains then I don't know how you cannot say that is anything less than a gigantic failure. Keynote? Pages? Come on now.

I truly do not think enough people remember just how badly Apple wiffed on this last time they tried. I have 9 Apple devices in my home, I believe in them and prefer their products to others. I just don't want to be exiled from MacbookPro ownership because someone in Cupertino thinks I should be using Numbers instead of Excel.

Comment

cmaier

macrumors Core
Jul 25, 2007
California
Perhaps, but understand that it could be only a matter of a few years before Apple recoups r&d costs. They're paying Intel a pretty penny for their processors.

Apple has every right to maximize profits. My point is that I do not think Apple has a great track record of understanding what business users need and have odd strategies: namely, trying to push MS Office alternatives that nobody uses.

In a few years, when all the kinks are worked out, if these new devices cannot run enterprise apps from the likes of Adobe, Microsoft, Google, etc as good if not better than their Intel contemporaries without also providing efficiency gains then I don't know how you cannot say that is anything less than a gigantic failure. Keynote? Pages? Come on now.

I truly do not think enough people remember just how badly Apple wiffed on this last time they tried. I have 9 Apple devices in my home, I believe in them and prefer their products to others. I just don't want to be exiled from MacbookPro ownership because someone in Cupertino thinks I should be using Numbers instead of Excel.

I'm sorry, where has apple pushed ms alternatives on businesses? Seems to me they are marketed squarely at education and home users. I've never seen an ad for them, let alone an ad targeting business users

Reactions: Ravi_MR
Comment

Dozer_Zaibatsu

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2006
North America
I'm sorry, where has apple pushed ms alternatives on businesses? Seems to me they are marketed squarely at education and home users. I've never seen an ad for them, let alone an ad targeting business users

I think Apple has always worked with Microsoft Office as the flagship office suite for MacOS. It was important for Apple's marketing strategy that they sold a Mac that came with turnkey applications. For many, many people, iWork, ClarisWorks, AppleWorks, whatever you call it, was fine for their purposes.

Comment

Dozer_Zaibatsu

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2006
North America
After some recent hardware troubles, the promise of Apple's risc-ified SOC really makes me hope. I would love a smaller form-factor 12 or 13 laptop that wouldn't have to wheeze doing routine things. A MacMini SOC could be a real sleeper. Because if you get decent performance out of the thing for doing things like browser work and music apps, it could really help us out.

If anyone noticed, the dual-core i3 Air this last cycle had all kinds of thermal limitations because the CPU cooler fan was not connected to the heat sink. Both Louis Rossman and Linus tech tips have called out this engineering decision for some time now. (Apprently gimped thermal performance noticeable since 2018 at least.) A good guess is Apple has been designing these Airs in anticipation of transitioning to Apple Silicon for some time. They may have road-mapped doing it this past year, but had to scramble with putting a less-than-ideal i3 in there when SOC just wasn't ready by the beginning of the year.

Reactions: Botts85
Comment

cmaier

macrumors Core
Jul 25, 2007
California
I think Apple has always worked with Microsoft Office as the flagship office suite for MacOS. It was important for Apple's marketing strategy that they sold a Mac that came with turnkey applications. For many, many people, iWork, ClarisWorks, AppleWorks, whatever you call it, was fine for their purposes.
Agreed. If anything, apple has always marketed “we are the best platform for office” or what not to businesses. Not iWork, AppleWorks, pages/numbers/keynote, etc.

Comment

RoboCop_

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2020
MBP14 in MB12 like body please.
Dude. This would be great for the Macbook Air but the Macbook Pro has "pro" in the name for a reason. It needs to push performance and needs active cooling to do that, even with Apple Silicon.

Reactions: nt5672
Comment

Botts85

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2007
After some recent hardware troubles, the promise of Apple's risc-ified SOC really makes me hope. I would love a smaller form-factor 12 or 13 laptop that wouldn't have to wheeze doing routine things. A MacMini SOC could be a real sleeper. Because if you get decent performance out of the thing for doing things like browser work and music apps, it could really help us out.

My daily driver is a 2015 base CPU 12" MacBook. If we get a 12" MacBook bodied Apple Silicon Mac this year I will be so happy.

I don't need MBP 16" performance. I want a fanless, light MacBook with good battery life.

Comment

theroaringbadger

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2018
Im getting the first ones. I know about first gen products, but I am so happy with my iPad Pro that I am confident it will meet or exceed my expectations. It will also be my first Mac .
My 2018 iPad Pro is already better than any Intel Windows laptop I have ever owned.
This. I use my iPad Pro for everything. I now only use an iMac when I’m at my desk. But as a student ipp is way more powerful and versatile in almost everything I do... photo editing, basic video editing, annotating PDFs, battery life, essays, the news and basically 98% of the time.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.