MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPadOS 15 will include improvements to the way users manage multiple apps open at once, in addition to a redesigned incoming notification banner that will also debut in iOS 15, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

iOS-15-icon-mock-in-article.jpg

In an overview report of what to expect from Apple at its Worldwide Developers Conference on Monday, Gurman reiterates his previous reporting while also providing a few additional new tidbits. Gurman has said previously that iPadOS 15 will allow users to place widgets anywhere on the Home Screen. Today Gurman expanded, saying that improvements to multitasking can also be expected on iPadOS 15.
For the iPad, Apple plans to revamp the home screen and support the placement of widgets -- snippets of dynamic information like calendar, weather, and stocks -- anywhere on the screen. This is a commonly requested feature that will bring the iPad in line with Android rivals. The company also plans an improved multitasking system to make it easier to operate multiple apps at the same time.
Addtionally, Gurman says that alongside major changes to iMessage and a new way for users to set their status on their device, iOS 15 will also include a redesigned incoming notification banner.
On the iPhone and iPad software updates, users will now be able to set a status -- such as whether you are driving, sleeping, working or don’t want to be disturbed -- and have that dictate how incoming notifications are handled. The update will also include a larger focus on auto-replying to messages and a new design for incoming notification banners at the top of the screen.
Gurman also notes that Apple has been working on a redesigned lockscreen for the iPad and iPhone, but says that some of those changes have been pushed until iOS 16, next year.
Apple has also been working on a revamped lock screen for the iPhone and iPad, though some of those changes have been pushed back to a future release and won’t appear this year.
As for macOS 12, tvOS 15, and watchOS 8, Gurman says to expect minor updates. watchOS 8 will include improved health tracking features and "interface improvements." Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference officially kicks off on Monday, June 7, at 10 a.m PT. Check out our roundup of everything else you can expect.

Article Link: Bloomberg: iPadOS 15 to Feature Improved Multitasking, Redesigned Notification Banner for iOS 15

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: rumormiller

The Cappy

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2015
Dunwich Fish Market
If macOS is never going to get touch screens because it's designed with click targets that are frequently too small, then Apple needs to allow iPadOS to spread its wings. Let iPads connect to external monitors and use those *as* external monitors, receiving touch from those monitors if the monitor is capable. Let the iPad actually become the future of computing, like Tim Cook keeps saying it is.

runebinder

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2009
Nottingham, UK
So some nice visual eye candy, sounds pretty superficial. I’d rather see the reported 5GB limit that apps can use removed, native M1 apps from the Mac ported over with UI designs that are more touch friendly and better external monitor support that includes extending the screen so that you’re not stuck in 4:3 on the monitor.

Highly doubt any of that will happen this year at least though.

Logiarius

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2015
This wwdc is most least leaked apple event I ever remember. After all, I assume that software rumor is much harder to leak compared to hardware rumor because it has no factory at all. (Plus, apple employee all work on home, making it more hard to leak anything)

Personally, I think this might be one of the biggest wwdc we ever seen. Apple announced lossless apple music, and tons of accessibility software function ahead of this wwdc. Normally, these functions are announced during keynote of wwdc. But this year, they didn’t. This might be the sign that they have not enough time to announce accessibility functions because 2 hours keynote was already packed.

magicvash

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2014
I’m really hoping that the utter lack of any information means they’re keeping something big tightly under wraps. Just like how no one knew the M1 was doing into the new iPads.

I doubt macOS will run on iPads but maybe this will open the door for universal binaries that run on iPadOS or macOS on Apple Silicon.

I want feature complete apps on iPadOS that have the same features on the iPad that are present on macOS

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.