Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The iPhone 12 is on course for a fall launch despite disruptions to mobile manufacturing in the wake of the coronavirus outbreak, according to Bloomberg, citing people familiar with Apple's supply chain.

ESU6IkHU4AAS0KT.jpeg
Apple's next flagship iPhones, with 5G wireless capabilities, are still on schedule to launch in the fall, although that's partly because mass production isn't due to begin until May, said the people. They asked not to be identified discussing private supply chain issues.
Apple typically announces its latest flagship smartphones in September, with mass production beginning in May, which usually gives assemblers and component suppliers time to manufacture and amass units for shipping later in the fall.

Earlier this month, a Bloomberg report cited Bank of America analysts claiming that Apple's 5G iPhone could be delayed to due to the coronavirus outbreak. The analysts said Apple's ?5G iPhone? release could be delayed by a month because of restrictions put in place on Apple employees visiting China earlier in the year to perfect assembly processes with manufacturing partners like Foxconn.

Those delays had the potential to eat into the time Apple needs to finalize orders for chips and other ?iPhone? components that need to be made well in advance of when full production begins. However, supply chain experts told Reuters in late February that Apple still has time to keep the ??iPhone?? schedule on track, despite the travel restrictions.

Apple plans to release four so-called iPhone 12 models in the fall, including one 5.4-inch model, two 6.1-inch models, and one 6.7-inch model, according to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. All of the devices are expected include OLED displays and support 5G, and they may sport a new design that includes more of a flat edged metal frame like the iPad Pro or iPhone 4.

Meanwhile, Apple's new iPad Pro models begin shipping next week. Production of those devices likely started at the top of the year, according to Bloomberg, although DigiTimes today reports that Apple is in the process of ramping up iPad Pro shipments, with volume for the new tablet series from the suppliers to climb about 40 percent sequentially in the second quarter.

Apple this week set worldwide purchase limits on its newly updated iPad Pro and MacBook Air models, its entire range of iPhone models, and the Mac mini on its online stores. Apple often places purchase limits on products in some Asian countries to combat the gray market, but the expanded restrictions are thought to be an effort to balance supply and demand amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

Article Link: Bloomberg: iPhone 12 Still on Course for Fall Launch Despite COVID-19 Disruption

Alon1

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2014
Can we expect the next iPhone to have an even larger camera bump? The new iPad Pro shows that the time of flight sensor requires an area similar to that of a camera. Assuming that it doesn’t get placed in a different location on the iPhone and that we are not losing any of the 3 existing cameras, can we expect a larger, rectangular camera bump?

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
I think the credits for the render that illustrates the article should go to EverythingApplePro, right?
Or is it a Macrumors render?

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Can we expect the next iPhone to have an even larger camera bump? The new iPad Pro shows that the time of flight sensor requires an area similar to that of a camera. Assuming that it doesn’t get placed in a different location on the iPhone and that we are not losing any of the 3 existing cameras, can we expect a larger, rectangular camera bump?

I was thinking the EXACT same thing Lol. I think the flash is going to have to go in the middle of the 4 cameras/sensors. It makes the most sense. I think it’ll still be a square.

ToF sensor will be in the bottom right corner.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
If things continue as now with countries in virtual lock down, there won't be much of a demand outside of East Asia, barring mass unemployment due to recession; these countries will have Corona under control and probably free of disease.

Reactions: TheShadowKnows!

TheShadowKnows!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
National Capital Region
Apple could be shooting 12::= "craps" with US, Europe, Japan, Australia/New Zealand in virtual lock-down, with hampered mobility. Only greater China has turned for the better.

I for one, see no need to an upgraded iPhone.
(Maybe an iFixIt battery-kit replacement, and call it the day.)

Last edited:

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I'm glad with the iPhone upgrade program that we no longer have to go to the Apple Store to trade in our old phone and get the new one.

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
One does NOT need to be a Rocket Scientist to know that Sentiment has changed BIG time, OR that Apple's High-Priced products are NOT a Good Fit for the Times !

TheShadowKnows!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
National Capital Region
One does NOT need to be a Rocket Scientist to know that Sentiment has changed BIG time, OR that Apple's High-Priced products are NOT a Good Fit for the Times !
Dude, those are fighting words in this forum./s

[However, just take a safe walk (with 6-feet degrees of separation) and count the number of people that continue to carry iPhone tethered to their hand, inseparable, most dealing with the display and not looking up. Apple is betting that poor habits do not die down easily -- they may be into something.]

Kagio

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
Great for the looks. BUT.

I’m worried the squared design makes it even harder to hold. Even iPhone 11 Pro is kinda big, and its now going to be iPhone 11 size AND squared? hmmm

rjp1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2015
A reveal event feels like it would be in bad taste right now. Hyping it up will lead to people wanting to gather in lines to try to get one. Maybe just do a silent update this year if you have to do something.

Even better would be lowering production of all their products and focus on making medical supplies. Who do they think is going to buy their phones if people are dead or unemployed? Razer is doing this (https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...urgical-masks-to-fight-covid-19/#3c7ddac13bad)

I hope we learn from this. I was already a believer in the tariffs on China and trying to get companies to bring manufacturing back home. It doesn’t seem so crazy to a lot more people now. I hope when this is said and done that the tariffs will reach levels that make it cost prohibitive to make things like an iPhone in China.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
A reveal event feels like it would be in bad taste right now. Hyping it up will lead to people wanting to gather in lines to try to get one. Maybe just do a silent update this year if you have to do something.

Let’s say the iPhone 12 does launch on time this year for ‘mid-September’, and Apple does a online presentation of the keynote versus a live audience gathering. I can tell you/guarantee right now, there won’t be any formulated lines outside Apple stores. I’m sure they’ll be restrictions in various countries/cities that just won’t allow it, unless this pandemic gets under control, which as of right now, that’s totally opposite of what’s happening.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.