Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The upcoming 2021 iPhones will feature a spate of new camera features tailored for professional users, including ProRes for videos, Portrait Mode for video, and design updates by the means of a smaller notch, according to a new report from Bloomberg's Mark Gurman.

iPhone-13-Dummy-Thumbnail-2.jpg

According to Gurman, Apple plans to include Portrait Mode video in this year's iPhone lineup, which will allow users to record videos with an added bokeh effect behind the subject. Apple released Portrait Mode with the iPhone 7 Plus, but it's since remained exclusive to photos. It's worth noting that with iOS 15 this fall, FaceTime will be gaining Portrait Mode for all compatible devices.
Apple first added Portrait mode to the iPhone 7 Plus in 2016, and it quickly become a fan favorite. The feature can put a person in sharp focus while blurring the background in what is known as a bokeh effect. For the new iPhones, Apple plans to add this same technique to video with a feature internally dubbed Cinematic Video. Like with still photos, the iPhone's depth sensor will create the effect and allow users to change the amount of blur after recording.
Alongside Portrait Mode video, Apple is also planning to bring ProRes for videos to the iPhone, which will allow users to record video in a higher quality format and offer more editing controls. Similar to how ProRaw for photos is exclusive to only the higher-end iPhone 12 models, Bloomberg says that ProRes may also be exclusive to only the iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro Max.

Additionally, Apple is also planning a more advanced iteration of standard photo filters for photographers with its upcoming iPhones. Instead of applying a filter to the entire photo, the upcoming iPhones will precisely apply "changes to objects and people across the photos using artificial intelligence."
Users will be able to choose from several styles to apply to their photos, including one for showing colors at either a warmer or cooler temperature while keeping whites neutral. Another option will add a more dramatic look with deeper shadows and more contrast, and the company is planning a more balanced style for showing shadows and true-to-life colors with a brighter appearance.
Gurman today also reconfirmed that the upcoming iPhones will feature a faster A15 chip, a smaller notch, and new display technology that will enable a higher 120Hz refresh rate. Gurman had previously noted that on the higher-end models of the iPhone 13, Apple might also introduce always-on capabilities similar to the Apple Watch.

Article Link: Bloomberg: iPhone 13 to Feature ProRes for Videos, ProMotion Displays, Portrait Mode Video, Smaller Notch, and More

Last edited:

Minxy

macrumors 6502
Nov 17, 2012
I can’t believe adding ProRes is all it took to get me interested in the next iPhone. I need to get vaccinated against Apple’s marketing team.
What is ProRes, recording with a higher bit rate?

Edit: I see its a codec my Mac Air is to weak to use. so it’s pro standard quality recordings. If iPhones ever get zoom lenses it will kill of another product category.

iterva

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
Sweden
No TouchID is a bummer, but the 120hz display and camera improvements will be welcomed
Yeah, i agree.
It is gonna be interesting to see how an small Apple device feels with 120 hz. I´m not holding my breath that it will be anything revolutionary since Apple in my opinion already has one of the smoothest UI:s. But who knows ?

As silly as it sounds, I'm just really looking forward to that new matte black color option.
Ooh. Not at all. Black with a product red case reminds me of my iPhone 5 days. So matte sounds good. Sign me up ?

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
What is ProRes, recording with a higher bit rate?

Edit: I see its a codec, my Mac Air is too weak to use. So it’s pro standard quality recordings.

You'd be surprised about how easy ProRes is to edit.

It's less compressed so it's actually easier for a computer to process. But ProRes file sizes can be much bigger than a standard highly compressed MP4.

I'm honestly surprised it took this long to put ProRes in an iPhone. It's actually called "Apple ProRes"

:p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.