Bloomberg: Jeff Williams is Second-Most Important Person at Apple, Operates Similar to Tim Cook

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 22, 2019.

1. FFR Suspended

FFR

Wait and see ;). The next two weeks will surprise you, even more. You might not like it after your position though.

2. Jim Higgins macrumors member

Jim Higgins

Jeff probably has the same lifestyle too. Sad.

3. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

There is nothing sad about success and living the life you want to live.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 23, 2019 ---
    There is nothing sad about it. Apple is doing well by all measures (unless one counts the criticism here at MR as evidence Apple isn’t doing well.)

4. Winni macrumors 68040

Winni

Yeah, feel free to believe that. Non-visionaries neither understand true visionaries nor are the able to identify one when he or she stands right in front of them. Why? Because they lack VISION. And if there is one thing that truly scares accountants or other people who need to measure everything by numbers, it's CREATIVITY that they just do not understand AT ALL.

5. polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

Hey, I'm so happy as a consumer that Apple can charge more for less than ever for products it sells! Not sad at all, it's great! In fact, here, let me send them some more money, just for the heck of it. I'm sure I need another dongle anyway.

6. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

I’m happy as a consumer that products such as those from Apple exist. I realize that consumer goods have a rather large range of prices and generally one gets what they pay for. Apple products may be more expensive than the competitors products, very similar to cars, it they also aren’t the most expensive products. I find the value to cost ratio very high with Apple products, when one takes the premium feel of the product, support, longevity into account.

My thinking may not resonate with everyone but We should all be glad there is competition so we can get the products we want.

7. polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

Exactly! There is a reason why Apple almost died before Steve took over, and why, against all odds, it became the tech industry giant with Steve at the helm. Why people used to line up in the streets days before a new iPhone would come out. Back when I gladly paid more for an Apple product because I knew that I'm buying the best, that Steve personally made sure it was what he wanted.

Reality distortion field was real, but it was so much more than that. I was buying into a brand that CARED to make the best, and had the VISION for it. Not one that cared to make it most profitable.

8. polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

Your original comment celebrated Apple as a successful company. Now you are pointing out how Apple is benefiting you as a consumer. They are two different things. Apple being successful is of NO direct benefit to a consumer, only to the investors.

9. FFR Suspended

FFR

Tell that to Ex- Nokia, Motorola, HTC, esssential, razer and blackberry smartphone users.

If they don’t do well they will stop making phones.

10. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

How do you think Apple became successful (and remains so), if not by selling great products that consumers are willing to pay for?

11. BKay8 macrumors newbie

BKay8

Nail on the HEAD!! Tim Cook and his team NEEDS to watch this video first thing every morning and last thing before heading home.
    Apple is SO stale and behind. I am an original Macintosh 512k owner from 1985 and for the FIRST TIME EVER, have bought something NOT Apple. I have bought 3 Apple TV's in the past and just went and bough a Google Home and a Chromecast plug for $70 Canadian! Instead of $399 for a HomePod... (a what?) HomePod won't even turn your TV on and off like Google Home/Chromecast. Will Apple catch up? Where is their $100 HomePod? They were ahead... not anymore. Makes me sick to buy Google. Copycat jerks. Now Apple will have to become Copycats? yuk
    --- Post Merged, Jul 24, 2019 ---
    Where are the 'What if" people at Apple? How come watching a new Keynote is no longer on my list? zzzzzzzleepy
    Where is the simple? The easy? The genius "why didn't I think of that" products? Honestly think about what Apple products we would be using now if Steve lived another 10 years? Do you really think we'd be where we are now? Not a chance. Apple is SO profitable why don't they spend some of that on more amazing products and lower their prices? Shareholders? In they end they'd be ahead if new great products came like the old days. Google has passed Apple. Makes me sick.

12. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

What is apple copying?

I still enjoy watching the keynotes and with my airpods, it's even easier than ever.

13. polbit macrumors 6502

polbit

That is my point exactly! Apple became successful because it sold great products to the consumers! Not a great bottom line to the shareholders. That was the indirect result though. Now they are using their good will from those years to keep milking its customer base.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 25, 2019 ---
    Thank you for supporting my argument!

14. golf1410 macrumors 6502a

golf1410

We will see about that. All the good things that Tim Cook has been riding since he became a CEO ,came from Steve Jobs’s legacy. The Apple Watch was under Ive and Steve in very beginning. Apple music came from iTunes Library, which was again Jobs’s legacy. All things that you are mentioned came from Steve Jobs’s legacy. I don’t see any belong to Tim Cook’s legacy except a few Apple accessories which were built under his wings. Oh, Airpods was Ive’s btw.

But nothing was built like Steve Jobs did under Cook’s wings.

15. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

What’s relevant is apple has grown massively under cook, which means he has figured out how to give customers what they want in terms of product. Cooks legacy will be the massive success of Apple and his skill in growing it. Don’t like him? Fine, but you’re probably not changing the history books with this post.

16. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

Ah yes, the "we'll see about that" crowd. No timeline and ignores what we've ALREADY seen. Cook has grown AAPL $700B. He's not going anywhere unless he wants to. His performance is tied to how well Apple does relative to the S&P 500 and he's crushed it. You don't just create $700B because Steve Jobs is still somehow running the company from the grave. He's been dead almost 8 years.

17. Rob_2811, Jul 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2019

Rob_2811 macrumors 68020

Absolutely pointless trying to debate with people who can't see past a market cap. They care about the products much less than the value of their stock.

18. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

Products that meet demand make money.

Welcome to business.