Bloomberg: Jeff Williams is Second-Most Important Person at Apple, Operates Similar to Tim Cook

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 22, 2019.

1. apolloa macrumors G5

I think Craig is a good presenter, he has a sense of humour at least and some charisma. Can’t see him running the company though.

2. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

Cook’s job is to increase shareholder value, which all the things I mentioned do and why he’s not going anywhere.

You want to be a fan of a company, pick another because business is business. Apple’s business is better than any business on the planet. It’s certainly the most profitable.

Your opinion the best tablet is the mini is irrelevant. iPad just posted double digit growth. Saying the new Pros are poor quality is based on nothing but a few bent pictures of iPads and some anecdotal stories. Post some data to back it up.

There are plenty of examples of FaceID attempts after Apple released it. Facial recognition became much more prevalent. Huawei did it, Samsung did it and much less securely, among others.

3. Khedron macrumors 68000

Aramco is the most profitable. Perhaps you'd be interested in aramcorumours.com ?

4. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

Yeah, I’m ignoring companies run by a country which sell a commodity. But throw them in if you want.

Apple’s business execution is world class. They are a machine and a fantastic business.

That’s Cook’s job...to increase shareholder value and run the business profitably. He’s done that.

5. Justanotherfanboy Suspended

Justanotherfanboy

Oh?
    What do you know that I don’t?

I read report after report after report, at the time that Scott LOVED the protectionism of being Steve’s little pet & used to delight in crowing to people that had been there for decades “that’s not what Steve would do”, as if he was inside his brain.
    You think those kind of comments are annoying here???
    They must have been MADDENING in person! He literally pushed Bob Mansfield (an AMAZING Apple hardware guy, known for his even temperament) into retirement, because he simply wouldn’t work with that guy for ANY price.
    Tim knew he couldn’t lose Bob.
    I think that was actually a fairly easy choice.
    Glad he got rid of the caustic, pompous, & arrogant Scott Forstall.

Lol, he literally imagined himself the 2nd coming of Steve.... somehow with even more ego, but NOTHING to back it up.

6. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

And Steve Jobs was a salesman. He didn’t invent new products either.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 22, 2019 ---
    Not for stories like this. They didn’t really have a story. There’s just a few anonymous quotes and the rest is just padding to fit a specific narrative e.g. Jeff Williams is just a Tim Cook clone and Apple is run by numbers guys not visionaries.

7. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

It’s always a good time to say with 250 million customers, there are different opinions and YMMV.

With pop up flashes, movable bezels and stagnant 3 year design (galaxy 8, 9, 10) I’m not clear on who is leapfrogging who.
    Stock ticker...oh wait.

8. FFR Suspended

FFR

Why?
    Because some posters are just making stuff up.
    He thought operations meant sales and marketing.

And that apple is doomed because he couldn’t understand the report he Keeps linking too. .

Someone else claimed apple was on the brink of bankruptcy...because he feels like it.

9. smulji macrumors 6502a

The iPhone user base alone is one billion strong. The iPad user base 400 million strong and the Mac user base 100 million strong. So where did you get that Apple has only 250 million customers?

10. jonblatho macrumors 65816

jonblatho

Not just that, but visionaries often make poor CEOs.

11. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

I found the 250 on the internet. Obviously the real number would be difficult to get.

12. jonblatho macrumors 65816

jonblatho

Source?

13. Defthand macrumors 65816

Cook is only in his fifties? Jesus, he looks 70 much of the time.

14. jonblatho macrumors 65816

jonblatho

From a hardware engineering perspective, the changes in the iPhone enclosure over the models you listed have been substantial, but subtle to an average user. They’re not swappable (or even close to it) just because they’re roughly the same shape.

15. Glockworkorange macrumors 68000

Glockworkorange

He's the best out of all of them and I don't think there's much doubt about it.

Still, my complaint with him, and maybe it can't be helped, is how rushed it all is and how much of it feels forced.

I mean, Jobs would just sit there for awhile and sort of exalt in the face of QuickTime 4 and Apple's "amazing partnership" with EarthLink. When he minimized things in the dock when demoing Leopard, he must have run it in slow motion like five times, sort of like a child playing with a toy. His excitement was palpable and real, even though I look back at that kind of thing today and sort of chuckle.

(QuickTime 4...lol. Actually, I think Jobs bet, wrongly, QuickTime 4 (or QuickTime in general) would be the television of the future, all available over the internet on your Mac).

16. I7guy macrumors Core

I7guy

With maybe 10 years left?

17. drinkingtea macrumors 6502

drinkingtea

The tea was SPILLED!

18. DevNull0 macrumors 68020

It would be nice to pull a 62% margin when 70-85% of the revenue goes to content owners in many service categories. The $11.5 billion revenue number is all money brought in by their services. If they're quoting 62% margins, that must be on operating costs after app devs are paid in the app store, artists are paid in Apple music, etc. I can't blame you for being confused though, Apple accounting has become very creative over the past few years.

TV+ will be interesting....are they going to count the cost to produce content as part of their operating margin in services or are they going to hide it in the $15 billion R&D slush pile and pretend TV+ is all profit. Because even if TV+ is a huge success, it will take a few years to show a profit after content creation costs.

You projected some. So basically you pulled the number out of your head and cited it as fact.

Then why not cite it at $100 billion. They'll be there in 3-5 years at current growth rates, especially with new services like TV+ and arcade. I mean if you're making stuff up why not go all out?

Well I'm putting my money where my mouth is this time. There's no way they're not going to show a huge drop in iPhone revenue. I bought a few thousand Apple Puts at $202.50 strike today. I'm hoping it dips below $190.

Oh, and when does most popular mean best? I guess according to you, Android is the best smartphone OS, Windows is the best desktop OS, and Honda Civic is the best car. And Commodore 64 is the best computer. Apple has very few models of anything. There could be 100 different wireless headphones, and with a 2% market share, AirPods could technically be the "most popular".

What is not subjective is that AirPods sound the same as EarPods...crappy quality from the free headphones that come with a phone that nobody actually wants to use. It's hard to find a $20 pair of wired headphones that aren't vastly superior to AirPods in sound, and there are plenty of better sounding $170 headphones.

I fail to see your point. As a consumer, if anything that's a huge negative about Apple. Unless you sit on Apple's board and just post here for giggles, I don't see why you would care.

19. Classie macrumors regular

I totally agree; no one has the same love and passion as Steve did - he was one of a kind. Every keynote was such a joy to watch. I didn’t matter what he was talking about :)
    The best we can hope for now, is people that can do a good job and maybe fill some holes until the next “genius” appears.

I have no knowledge of Jeff. I’m just hoping that he will be more of a product guy than Tim (which shouldn’t be hard, right?). Apple needs someone higher up that cares about products.

...as for Phil... I think he genuinely cares for the products/hardware - more than the other guys!

20. Baymowe335 macrumors 601

The services margin is reported....guess all you want as to why it's not as good as you think, but AAPL made $60B in profit in 12 months. Services contributed to that tremendously, at over twice the margin of the hardware. You're speculating while I'm quoting the report.

Anyone that follows AAPL knows the services biz is a $50B business at their current run rate. We are always looking to the future. I didn't say trailing 12 months, but it's a $50B business. You want to say $46B, you're looking backward.

I didn't cite $100B because it's not reasonable. $50B is reasonable when you have a $46B run rate at 18% growth, no? If you don't agree, we literally can't have a meaningful discussion because you're just trying to be right on a technicality.

In business, most popular at solid margins means everything.

I'm a shareholder and a customer. I am happy as both.

21. BWhaler macrumors 68030

BWhaler

Wow. Just wow.

I really wish I didn’t agree with a lot of this. But I do.

22. FFR Suspended

FFR

Apple is seing an uptick thanks to Morgan Stanley, it’s almost hitting 207. Rumor is sales rebounded during the tail end of the quarter.

Rotten luck, mate.
    That’s going to sting.

23. Glockworkorange, Jul 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2019

Glockworkorange macrumors 68000

Glockworkorange

Yeah, I agree with it all too.
    You forgot to add....get as many shills aligned with Apple PR as possible to explain it all away by making sure they get early hardware and get to go to all the events (ahem...Rene Ritchie, et al).

I recall all the Apple Apologists coming out to defend some of Apple's questionable choices.

The phones all look the same? No, no no, you don't understand. They're "iconic," just like "A Porsche 911."

Think the iPhone 5 paint chipped and that was a problem? No, no, no, you don't understand. We all want that "worn in look," you know, like the way the Millenium Falcon looks? Dinged up a bit, but worked in.

The iPhone 5 looked a little too similar to the 4/4s? No, no, no, you don't understand. The device was "re-designed from the ATOM UP," I tell you.

Those are real-life examples of the crud the shills pushed to cover for the past few years of mediocrity.

Basically, anyone who complains is told they're holding it wrong.

24. Bawstun macrumors 68000

Bawstun

Already been posted by me in several other threads. iOS marketshare slipped 5.5% in Europe and almost 2.5% overall in the United States. Lack of innovation and price were cited as reasons.

25. Justanotherfanboy Suspended

Justanotherfanboy

Who here is on team Federighi??!! #hairforceone

Both as a shareholder & an Apple fan- I would absolutely love, love, love to see Craig eventually run the company.
    He’s got more personality than Tim, Jeff, Eddy, and Phil.... all put together!!!
    He knows how to talk to the layperson, but I’ve heard him get REALLY highly technical in interviews. Now there is a guy that is extremely competent w/ regards to hardware, software, and user experience.
    The fact that he’s a real, honest to god, coder & has been involved in all of the myriad Apple operating systems is a huge plus in my book & he really seems to have a deep passion for the Mac, not just iPhone.
    Lol, ok- done cheerleading... but this guy ticks every box I want in a future Apple CEO!!! =)