Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Bloomberg: New AirPods and AirPods Pro Coming in 2021, AirPods Studio Delayed, Third HomePod Model Also Possible

hbko

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2020
Belgium
It would be great if HomePod becomes officially available in Belgium 🇧🇪 for purchase. 2021 is also the perfect year for Siri to start speaking two languages at the same time so it can cope with the mix of Dutch and French that is the spoken language here. I have to keep mine in English because otherwise it's practically impossible to make queries that include any regional content.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2008
I bought a HomePod for $199. ever use it. unless your in love talking to Siri all day
I bought one too for the same price and use it almost every day. It makes a perfect sound system for my work from home setup.

If you never use yours, I recommend selling it so you at least recoup some of the cost.

Reactions: AngerDanger

yegon

macrumors 68030
Oct 20, 2007
I love my two HomePods in stereo, used purely for music.

More interested in reliability/connection improvements via software than a hardware jump. I intend to use my existing ones until they break or become unusable.

My AirPods Pro on the other hand, they're decent when they work properly, but they're flakey in a just-often-enough-to-be-annoying way, and I'm done with them when the battery expires. Crazy money for their useful life.

Grey Area

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2008
As for the second version of AirPods Pro, Apple aims to make the earbuds more compact by eliminating the short stem that currently sticks out from the bottom, and is said to be testing a design with "a more rounded shape that fills more of a user's a ear," which would make them more similar to Samsung's Galaxy Buds and similar rival designs from Amazon and Google.

Yes, please. I hate the way current AirPods look and will not wear them. Frankly, their design was one major factor why I am more on Android nowadays. I figured a Galaxy phone with Galaxy Buds would give me similar integration, without the embarrassing looks. Make them in black, too, please - though just getting rid of the stems would already be enough for me to give them a try.

• Haha
Reactions: ModusOperandi

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
They are way late in the game. They should have a whole lineup by now. Including ones with screens. Like a Google nest or Echo show. If they had a speaker with a display. That could give me useful info. Like Google and Amazon has. I would snatch them up.

deeddawg

macrumors G4
Jun 14, 2010
US
the report claims the new entry-level AirPods will inherit a form factor design similar to AirPods Pro, with a shorter stem and replaceable ear tips

That'd suck.

I hate eartips. I get why people like them, I just don't.

For me, the current Airpods are comfortable, easy to use, and don't block ambient. This would ruin all that.

I've been holding off upgrading my 1st gen AP's since they still work well enough and I figured a new version is on the way - and if Apple futzs up the design like this I'll have to quickly snap up a leftover set of 2nd gens I guess.

Last edited:

PCMA

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2006
AirPower.jpg

Wapperer

macrumors newbie
I absolutely adore my Homepods as a stereo pair - if you care about great sound then absolutely go for the full size ones as for the money they sound incredible and the spatial awareness makes a big difference. Bear in mind they are bass heavy so if you don't like bass you might not like them but even with heavy bass they are distortion free even at high volume. They beat my previous much 5x more expensive speakers - plus they can be set to work as a cinema sound system for an apple tv which the mini cannot. Im still buying the minis though so I can have multiroom audio in my kitchen and bedroom! I just wished they had made it with a battery so it can be ported between rooms instead of having a big cable in the way.

MayaTlab

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2007
I'd find it a little weird that Apple would design the entry-level AirPods without ANC but with silicone tips. The former is an integral part of the APP to cut down on the user's own body noise. They also inherently require users to fiddle with the tips to determine their sizes, I could see how Apple would like to continue selling at least one "universal", "put it in your ears and be done with it" model of AirPods in the lineup. Perhaps something with the tip and internal design of the APP but without the sealing tips.

I can't wait to see what Apple will do in the over-ear segment. The current crop of ANC BT headphones mostly sounds terrible (god awful frequency response curves, frequently worse than older BT headphones), only because of a total lack of care at the design stage (there are little remaining technical limitations to make ANC BT headphones which FR curves don't look like the Himalayas, it's just that they don't give a sh...t as this sort of monstrosity can still sell for $399 : https://www.rtings.com/headphones/graph#1619/4011).

Hoyboy

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2012
Apple launched the original AirPods in 2016 for $159 and updated them with a wireless charging case in March 2019, while the AirPods Pro came out in October 2020 and cost $249.​

I think this is meant to say October 2019, not 2020.

Reactions: whsbuss

DeepIn2U

macrumors 604
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I bought a HomePod for $199. ever use it. unless your in love talking to Siri all day

Most of us bought it for it's primary killer feature - being a great quality speaker that delivers room filling sound. Siri is an after thought and to be honest I've been using Siri less and much less every year since iPhone 5S.

Personally I'd like to create a custom Siri wakeup command.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.