Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following today's report from analyst Ming-Chi Kuo outlining major changes for the next-generation MacBook Pro models coming in the third quarter of this year, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman has weighed in with his own report corroborating some of the details but seemingly differing a bit on others.

macbook-pro-16-inch-thunderbolt.jpg

First, Gurman shares more details on the return of MagSafe charging to the MacBook Pro, indicating that it will indeed be a similar design to the previous incarnation of MagSafe on Mac notebooks. Gurman also says the shift back to dedicated MagSafe charging will allow for faster charging speeds.

Gurman says the new MacBook Pro models will unsurprisingly continue to support USB-C, with two USB-C ports located next to the MagSafe port, and presumably two more USB-C ports on the other side of the machine.

Bloomberg's report also offers a tidbit about the displays on the upcoming MacBook Pro models, indicating they will use "brighter, higher-contrast panels." The machines will also of course come equipped with Apple silicon chips offering more processing cores and improved graphics compared to the M1 found in the first batch of Apple silicon Macs.

As for the design of the new MacBook Pro models, Kuo had indicated that they would receive an iPhone 12-style redesign with flat edges, but Gurman seems to downplay the significance of any changes, indicating that they will "look similar" to the current models but with "minor design changes."

Gurman also says that Apple has "tested" versions of the MacBook Pro without the Touch Bar, while Kuo seems more definitive that the controversial feature will be removed in the final design.

Finally, Gurman notes that Apple is also planning a redesign for the MacBook Air, but it won't be coming until "long after" the updated MacBook Pro models debut.

Article Link: Bloomberg: Next-Generation MacBook Pro to Offer Improved Displays, Faster Charging Over MagSafe

Last edited:

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
Nice! I am tempted to offload my machine whilst it still holds value. Will be watching carefully.

Reactions: johnmarki

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
I really hope it wont lose charging over USB-C though because now I have a Thunderbolt 3 dock that gives my Mac a display and charging over the single Thunderbolt cable and I really don't wanna give that convenience up.

falkon-engine

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2010
Given that current macbooks use USB power delivery to charge over thunderbolt at up to 96 W depending on the model, I don’t see the point in a dedicated non-usb-c charging mechanism, unless it will be for redundancy purposes. That is, if the thunderbolt port(s)gets fried or broken, charging via a backup charging port makes a lot of sense.

Last edited:

Stephen.R

Suspended
Nov 2, 2018
Thailand
Given that current macbooks use USB power deliver to charge over thunderbolt at up to 96 W depending on the model, I don’t see the point in a dedicated non-usb-c charging mechanism, unless it will be for redundancy purposes. That is, if the thunderbolt port(s)gets fried or broken, charging via a backup charging port makes a lot of sense.
It may be a sign that there will be less USB-C/TB ports, which would be a shame.

It could also just be about giving more flexibility. Some people are likely using USB-C/TB devices that don't offer (any or enough) current, so this would give those users another option. I can already imagine that people will complain about confusion if it's essentially the same as it used to be (which I'd assume it has to be, if "speed" is the goal, inductive charging is slower and less efficient than actual wires/connectors), given how fundamentally different the original MagSafe is to the "MagSafe" that's used on iPhones now.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
I really hope it wont lose charging over USB-C though because now I have a Thunderbolt 3 dock that gives my Mac a display and charging over the single Thunderbolt cable and I really don't wanna give that convenience up.
I find it convenient to be able to charge the Mac from both sides thanks to USB-C, but if MagSafe comes back and we still have 4 USB ports it means I have 4 available ports all the time, that's a win to me.

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
Given that current macbooks use USB power deliver to charge over thunderbolt at up to 96 W depending on the model, I don’t see the point in a dedicated non-usb-c charging mechanism, unless it will be for redundancy purposes. That is, if the thunderbolt port(s)gets fried or broken, charging via a backup charging port makes a lot of sense.

Because it works with USB-C, we now have people plugging in 5W, 10W, 20W, 25W charger and asking what does it not charge the MacBook? It is USB-C!.

Thunderbolt / USB-C as charging has been known to be an issue with higher probability of frying the Machine. I guess we now have enough empirical evidence to suggest may be it isn't a good idea? After all you are sharing the 100W charging lane with Display, and PCI-E lane attached to the SoC.

I dont think they will ditch USB-C Charging though. Likely allowing some form of charging.

It is the same with Touch Bar. It is a beautiful thing in theory, much like Force Touch or 3D Touch. In practice the workflow just doesn't fit. They trade Touch Bar which is useful for 10% of people and become irritation or minor inconvenience for 90% of people.

Like everything post 2015 MacBook Pro. They are just the wrong trade offs. Keyboard Spacing, Key Travels, Arrow Keys ( now fixed ) bigger track pad ( much higher false positives ). None of them are practical other than works on paper and in theory.

Last edited:

Freeangel1

Suspended
Jan 13, 2020
How much you wanna Bet?

Touch Bar going away because of Future Touch Screens

I will bet any amount of money that all Mac Laptops including the iMac will be touchscreen.

The Mac Pro will eventually be dropped because of no touch screen.

The future for MacBooks is to resemble the touch Microsoft Surface Pro's in every way.

No More Mac Pro. Not enough people buy them and they wont be converted to TOUCH.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.