Blown away by LTE!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by seadragon, Mar 17, 2012.

1. seadragon Contributor

This is unreal... (to me at least).

I just picked up the 64 GB LTE iPad with a Telus data plan. Upon doing a speed test, I was blown away by the numbers. My home connection is DSL and is horrible in comparison (max 6 Mbps). I need to look into cable internet I think.

Lower numbers are my home DSL and the upper ones are LTE. Amazing!

[​IMG]

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Just think how quickly you can blow through your data plan!:D

3. pdawg macrumors regular

My speeds here in Charlotte are amazing too! Shocked!

4. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

Yes those are nice speeds, though, I'm hoping you have an unlimited plan because running a lot of speedtests over LTE is grounds for using a lot of data.

Is this AT&T or Verizon?

5. Craiger macrumors 6502a

Craiger

6. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Hehe - no kidding. I picked up a Verizon LTE version and am going to turn on data this week and it's making me wonder if I should go for a bigger plan than the 1 gig I was going to sign up for.

Nice speeds!

7. funkeruski macrumors regular

Yep. I bought a gig's worth for the heck of it last night. Browsed for a few mins and already went through about 15% of my allotment.

8. seadragon thread starter Contributor

I'm just outside of Toronto, Canada.

The carrier it Telus and I signed up for the month to month flex plan. It tops out at 5 GB per month and has different tiers that automatically bump to the next one based on usage.

But, the promotion they have right now is 2 month unlimited data so I can pump through as much as I want for $5.00/month for the next 2 months!

9. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

Yep. Eventually LTE speeds will be 100Mbps and the caps will be even lower. I've said this before and I'll say it again; there is no point to LTE unless you have an unlimited plan.

These carriers brag all day who has the fastest and how you can stream this in a second but they don't tell you that by doing so will result in you going over your cap. There should still be an unlimited option with LTE and LTE only because supposedly it plays nice with bandwidth.

10. taedouni macrumors 65816

Lucky. Does your carrier offer hotspot?

11. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

That was what happened with me when I got the original iPad. I used over 2 gig the first month I had it and then it settled down to around 500 meg a month as I mainly use it in areas with wifi.

I wonder how much of that 15% was bandwidth tests? :)

12. dmylrea macrumors 68020

dmylrea

How does your throughput equate to your consumption?

Sure, web pages would load faster, but the amount of data consumed is the same, isn't it? Streaming a song or movie at 5Mbps is the same amount of data as if you did it at 50Mbps. The content size is fixed. Or, am I missing something?

13. seadragon thread starter Contributor

Hmmm... I'm not sure. Here is the website that outlines the flex plan. The good thing is that I can cancel at any time if I decide it's not for me.

http://www.telusmobility.com/en/ON/ipad_plans/index.shtml

----------

As far as I know, the consumption is the same, it just loads faster. I'll probably use it mainly for surfing websites and forums while on the train going to and from work. I like the fast loading web pages!

14. taedouni macrumors 65816

I couldn't find anything but those are amazing prices.

15. gameboy213 macrumors 6502

gameboy213

16. lilo777 macrumors 603

Too bad Apple was so slow to adopt LTE. Android users have been enjoying LTE for a year now.

17. taedouni macrumors 65816

The iPad 2 was released when Verizon started to offer their first LTE phones. The reason why the 4S did not have LTE was because of the battery life. I am happy that apple waited this long.

18. floridonet macrumors regular

Your screenshot shows you're on WiFi...not LTE. Am I missing something here??

19. seadragon thread starter Contributor

The lower 2 tests on the screen shot are wifi. The upper 2 are LTE (the cell tower icons).

20. Bob Sanders macrumors member

The OP is showing a list of past tests and currently has cellular data disabled. The icon next to the 50 mbps and 47 mbps results indicate that they were done over cellular data while the other two have a wifi symbol so they were done over wifi.

21. seadragon thread starter Contributor

Ah, yes, thanks for clarifying. Sorry floridonet, I misunderstood the question. LOL.

Yes, I did the LTE tests earlier at the store and I was on my wifi at home when I did the screenshot.

22. aneftp macrumors 601

Yeah. I wouldnt necessarily be clamoring to.be the first out with lte. We know bad the battery life.on the HTC Thunderbolt is. Even my Galaxy Nexus LTE battery life sucks.

23. floridonet macrumors regular

Thanks for the clarification. Those are fast results even for LTE.

24. seadragon thread starter Contributor

I did notice there is a switch in Settings:Cellular Data:Enable LTE which at least allows one to turn it off if desired.

25. floridonet macrumors regular

OT Question for those on LTE. What does the upper left corner show when on LTE? Does it state [carrier] 4G? I haven't tested yet, but in my house, mine says Verizon 3G.