Blu-Ray burning software included on Mac Mini?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by tshrimp, Mar 30, 2012.

1. tshrimp macrumors 6502

Mar 30, 2012
    Forgive me if this seems to be a dumb question, but I just bought my 1st mac a few days ago. A low end Mac Mini. The person at BestBuy told me that 2GB on Mac was like 4GB on a Windows PC. I took her at her word. Needless to say....I now have 8GB of ram in my Mac Mini. So far I am liking it, but still learning.

I am looking at buying an external Blu-Ray burner from a local store as it is a very good deal, but it looks like the reviews on the product state that it does not have any blu-ray burning software that comes with the product, so my question is this.....

Does Mac OS X Lion come with software for burning Blu-Ray disks?

Also will the Mac support most external DVD/Blu-ray drives like Windows 7, or do I need to be more careful on what I buy?

Thanks in advance for your help.
  2. philipma1957 macrumors 603

Apr 13, 2010
    Howell, New Jersey
    no does not come with software. many of us run windows 7 in bootcamp to run blu ray gear. some mac blu ray programs do exsisit. I use windows 7 on my mini to run blu ray. I use cyberlink
  3. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Apr 18, 2003
    There are workarounds to playing Blu-Ray discs under Mac OSX, however, if you want to author(burn) BD-R discs under Mac OSX, afaik, only Apple's Final Cut Pro 7, Adobe Encore, & Roxio's Toast Titanium provide Blu-Ray authoring, with Encore the only one that allows you to create customized menus & sub menus; Whereas FCP7 & Toast authoring First Play discs.