Blu Ray Coming to Macs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BossofMASS, Feb 24, 2008.

1. BossofMASS macrumors member

I read somewhere that Apple would be incorporating Blu Ray compatibility into their machines in the near future? How likely is this and what are the chances considering Blu Ray's fast growth?

2. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

It's amazing that they have held out for so long, especially on the higher end MacPros, considering these are often the foundation for high end video editing suites....

MacDann

3. BossofMASS thread starter macrumors member

Would this mean apple would have to introduce a HD screen? or would their current screens support this quality?

4. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

New screens would have to be added. You must have a HD capable screen to display HD. This is why I do not foresee HD technology being introduced into laptops. The price would be massive to add HD drive and screen, plus the screen itself wouldn't be large enough to enjoy the HD.

5. Csmitte macrumors 6502

Csmitte

mmmmm. blu-ray!! now if i could only have a 1080p display. boy we are so ungrateful, we always want more

6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

What do you mean, "HD capable" screen? If you mean that frigtarded DRM for HD video, then the answer is yes. If you mean because you think that the resolution is too low, then no; Apple already makes two standalone displays that are full HD, one desktop that has a full HD screen, and a laptop with the option for an HD screen.

7. BossofMASS thread starter macrumors member

So say yorue watching movie trailers on a MacBook and you select the HD trailer option, will the trailer actually be in HD or not because the MacBook does not have an HD screen?

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It'll be in HD, just most of the QuickTime window will be cut off as you don't have enough pixels to show the whole image. I can view 720 on my iMac, but 1080 gets cut off.

9. TheStu macrumors 65816

OK... when a company, like Sony, says that something is HD, they are specifically referring most often to 1080p, or 1920*1080 pixels of resolution.

The 24" iMac: 1920*1200 pixels (better than 1080p)
    The 17" Hi-Res MacBook Pro: 1920*1200 pixels (better than 1080p)
    The 23" Apple Cinema Display: 1920*1200 pixels (better than 1080p)
    The 30" Apple Cinema Display: 2560*1600 pixels (WAY better than 1080p)

Now, sometimes, a company will really only mean 720p for HD, and although that still looks freaking incredible compared to standard TV broadcasts, it is not really HD. 720p is 1280*720 pixels. And every single computer or display for a computer that Apple currently sells, beats this resolution.

My concern is this. I could go out, and get a BluRay burner for my laptop TOMORROW, and install it. You know what is holding me back? The $1000.00 price tag. That's right, the optical drive would cost almost as much as my entire laptop did. That is why BluRay isn't standard yet, at least IMO.

10. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Eh? All current laptop screens by Apple can display 720p High-Definition. Even if the movie was 1080p, the size would be downscaled to fit the screen and the image would still be dazzling and that of 720p.

Screen wouldn't be large enough to enjoy HD?! What are you talking about? If you sat infront of your laptop and watched a 720p HD movie, the quality would be better than if you watched that same movie on your big HDTV and sat at the same distance because the laptop screen has a higher DPI.

But, as soon as you step back and go to the proper viewing distance for an HDTV panel (i.e. 10 feet), the quality would look the same as on the laptop.

And to finish off, the higher range of Toshiba laptops (even those with 15" screens and 1440x900 resolution) have/had HD-DVD drives in them to play HD movies.

1280x720, hence 720p. And 720p is High-Definition.

11. TheStu macrumors 65816

Good catch there, i was thinking of my laptop screen when i was writing that :p

12. wentwj macrumors regular

As others have said, all an 'HD Display' requires is resolution.

Anything aboev 720p is HD, hence any display with 720 lines of vertical lines or more is an HD screen.

Most Blu-Rays are 1080p, so in order to get the full effect you'd need to play it back on a device with 1080 vertical lines, but it's still HD at anything above 720.

As far as the merit of doing it? Yes, it's still probably too expensive at this point to have it as anything other than a BTO option, though realisitcally apple should have had it as an option of a BTO a long time ago. Esspecially in the MacPro and probably in the MBP as well.

13. Lord Nerdos macrumors member

Late 08 mac pro

My prediction: blu ray drives in late 08 mac pros with redesigned cases to match the new ACDs with HDCP/HDMI etc...

14. MacDann macrumors 6502a

MacDann

Yeah, it seems like it's been years since the ACDs have been updated... they need it, especially the 30".

That's not to say I wouldn't mind having one on my desk.... :rolleyes:

MacDan

15. waywardsage macrumors 6502

waywardsage

Yeah, I don't know why they havent had it as a BTO option on at least the Mac Pro. The professionals out there that are making the discs need them! A Macbook Pro BTO option is needed for us pro's as well.

I mean, they cant use cost as an excuse. I mean, they put a BTO solid state drive on the Air for $1000. Thats insane! And they don't want to charge $1000 for a BTO blu ray drive?

I looked online, and the slot loading Panasonic slimline drive can be found for $850.

http://www.google.com/products?sour...5-47,GWYA:en&q=panasonic+slimline+bluray&um=1

So they cant use the excuse that they don't exist. Because...they do.

16. DCSMAC macrumors member

in the dell inspirons you can get a blu-ray drive for 200, and a blue ray burner for 400. on top of that you can also get a penryn and pretty much everything else a MBP has for under 2000. if only it ran OS X and looked as amazing as a MBP...

17. TheStu macrumors 65816

The MacBooks use 9.5mm optical drives instead of the 12mm optical drives that most of the rest of the industry uses. Hence the higher price. For example, a slot loading DVD-RW drive for the older macs was something like $80, and that is one that will work completely with OS X. You know how much a new DVD-RW drive costs for the MacBook? $150-180.

And I don't know why everyone is getting so giddy for Penryn, frankly, I want to see them get some new mobile graphics chips, that is what is needed, not a minor CPU update.

18. waywardsage macrumors 6502

waywardsage

less than 3mm's costs us over twice the price. Was it really that important to shed 3mm's from the MBP so that the parts are astromical to buy?

Sigh...

19. ^squirrel^ macrumors 6502a

^squirrel^

Just a simple refresh adding better connectivity would keep people interested.

20. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Every friggin Apple made today can display HD content. I have a 720p television with a Blu-ray Disc player. 720p is about 1300x720. I don't think the cheapest MacBook isn't capable of this.

And I swear if I see another post or article about how downloads are going to kill Blu-ray (just saw one at Macworld), I think I'm gonna gag. It takes me 30 minutes to download a 5-minute HD podcast on a 3.0Mbps connection. Shoot, downloading SD movies is hardly making a dent in DVDs, so I don't get this whole downloads will kill BDs mumbo jumbo.

21. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

It's kinda like that solid gold RAM they use that costs about $400/GB. :)

I also like the ref on the $1000 SSD for the MacBook Air. If that isn't the craziest BTO option out there, I don't know what is. I'm all for the concept of using SSDs, but that's got to be the most worthless $1000 you could spend on a computer. The good news is I heard the prices should drop very quickly just as the capacity jumps up a lot.

22. skiffx macrumors 6502a

LOL @ solid gold RAM
    How in the world do they come up with these prices...

As for ssd, why not if you have money to spend on it.

23. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Forget 1080p!!

1920i & 1920p HDTV is out!! Then again, I am in Japan... Might take a few decades for the technology to reach state-side.. Though, I do think we need higher density displays, with a smaller, finer transistors! :D

24. TheStu macrumors 65816

I would be all for it if HDMI was an optional connector, or an extra connector, but don't make it the only connector. If Apple switches to HDMI only (or if anyone does) then you can kiss 30" displays good bye for a while, because HDMI lacks the cojones to drive a 30" display. Plus, HDMI cannot be converted to analog signals. Just keep DVI, it is an excellent standard, particularly for computer use.