Blu-ray Drive for macbook pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bob5731, May 13, 2009.

1. waffles123 macrumors regular

2. MVApple macrumors 6502a

The question is, will it FIT in a unibody macbook pro? Unless this is a new smaller drive, then the answer is no.

3. Croatian macrumors 6502

what is the point if you can't play blu ray movies on your mac

4. robotartfashion macrumors 6502

sure you can, bootcamp

5. Batman101 macrumors member

its an external blu-ray drive

6. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I still dont get the need of a bluray player on a notebook.

I mean if your going to hook it up to an hdtv, might as well just buy a separate and much cheaper bluray player just sitting underneath the hdtv.

I guess bluray could make sense on a 17" with the 1920x1200 resolution.. but then again the 17" screen is so damn small that 1080p or 720p movies would look exactly the same.

7. bbadalucco macrumors 6502

Whats so hard about understanding the fact that some people have blu rays and not dvds and when they travel or are away from their homes they'd like to option to watch those blu rays.

Get it?

8. skitzogreg macrumors 6502

skitzogreg

This is likely the reason Apple has avoided it. Adding Blu-Ray to the Macbook line is costly and serves little purpose. Sure, you could argue that the extra space for HD movies is definately welcome, but to average consumers it doesn't make much sense. Even still, storing uncompressed data is expensive to do on Blu-Ray media, so for those in favor of adding Blu-Ray, keep in mind the extra costs of having a slow optical drive with overpriced discs.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

There are only 2 SATA slim slot Bluray drives; both are made my Panasonic and 12.7mm thick; both 3.7mm too thick for the computer.

10. u49aa2 macrumors 6502a

u49aa2

Some people take large volume digital pictures. A blue ray will take more pictures per DVD than regular DVDs. Personally i think this is the only draw back in the new MBP.

11. cg0def macrumors regular

without anyone getting offended, putting huge amount of pictures on a blue ray disk is a terrible idea. Optical disks are pretty bad for dealing with multiple small files and you will be a lot better off if you simply buy an external drive. Not to mention that a firewire 800 drive would be infinitely faster for backups and will end up being cheaper in the long run. It does kinda suck that you cannot play movies though.

12. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

Then I say Apple should stop trying to make their computers so anorexic, and let us have blu-ray!

13. willvalenton macrumors newbie

HD Camcorder users

For HD camcorders users this will be very handy to burn personal movies to bluray.

14. Reapur macrumors regular

15. djasterix macrumors 6502a

djasterix

It says that BD can be burn direct from mac OSX, how?

16. GreatDrok macrumors 6502a

GreatDrok

AVCHD on a standard DVD-R. Much cheaper than a BDR and compatible with many Blu Ray players such as my Panasonic BDP60 for instance.

As for carrying my Blu Ray collection with me, uuuuhh, no thanks, I'll stick with the ripped DVD resolution versions I have and keep the BDs for my 100" screen.

17. heywoodja macrumors member

heywoodja

blu-ray

I for one will be the first to install a blu-ray burner into my iPad!!!:D

18. Finnian59 macrumors newbie

Assimilation continues...

I want to have Blu Ray for my MBP to load up movies for when I travel.
    I'd like to be able to put them in ITunes and load them on the IPad as well.

Not really sure what the deal is that holds Apple back from moving towards this compatibility. Seems like a no brainer.

19. EatingPie macrumors newbie

I know this is an old post, but I hate misinformation.

Apple has specifically stated it was because of Blu-ray licensing complexity. Now that that has been worked out (it's a one-off now), Apple still hasn't provided a BD drive. So now we don't know the actual reason and must speculate.

A far more likely explanation is iTunes. Apple is competing with Blu-ray. They want to sell THEIR STUFF, not someone else's. So it basically breaks down to "don't put Blu-ray in Macs because it will eat into iTunes profits." Now, without quotes and facts, this is pure speculation. But the crappy 720p iTV, and intent to sell through on that account, suggests that indeed they don't want Blu-ray on their computers.

It's screwed. It's lame. (Streaming and physical media are different forms of us, Steve!) But there it is.

-Pie

20. Gr80Likes2Boogi macrumors regular

I'd say that's either one word or three. :D

21. janstett macrumors 65816

Google "HTPC" -- "Home Theater PC"

Some things a computer can do that a set-top player can't.

- Infinite storage and fast networking
    - Rip movies to hard drive and play back from hard drive
    - Bypass region coding
    - Custom movie playback by editing an XML file
    - Software for playback is constantly updated and improved versus a set top box that is obsolete when profiles change, such as 1.1 -> 2.0.
    - Custom processing -- color profile, deinterlacing, scaling, all better than a set top box can do.
    - New features all the time helped by video card acceleration technologies, such as Cyberlink's "True Theater" technology that does motion flow frame interpolation, HD and 3D upscaling, and color profiles.

So is this not real? Looks slim enough.

[​IMG]

22. EatingPie macrumors newbie

Good list, but you left one out...

- Blu-ray's 1080p will look better on the 17'' MBP screen than 720p.

How often do you use 1280x720 background images on a 1920x1200 screen? Yeah. That's what I thought.

I swear, I just don't get why people are actually still complaining about an advance in technology. Nobody ever says "oh no, that screen resolution is high enough (think iPhone 4), I won't get a better one" or "that CPU is fast enough, I won't get a faster one" or "that HDD is large/fast enough, I won't get one that's larger/faster." So what's the deal with HD video? Steve Jobs' RDS too strong? The format war was too destructive?

Sheesh. Higher resolution video IS better and you CAN see the difference. Even on a small screen.

Oh, and one more...

- BD-Rs max at 50GB and burn faster than 50GB in DVDs (and can be cheaper than 5 DL-DVDs!)

-Pie

23. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

That must be why they don't put DVD drives in Macs either. Or allow you to rip CDs in iTunes, or import into iTunes MP3s or MP4s you've ripped or bought from elsewhere, or why all music you buy on the iTunes store is encumbered with DRM so you can't play it on non-Apple devices.