Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
So I was searching whether or not people have developed such a drive yet, and lo and behold I found this listing on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-5mm-SATA-...ad-drive-Apple-Macbook-Pro-Dell-/180883494492

It is apparently a Panasonic UJ267 which was recently launched and the seller confirms it works with Unibody MacBook Pros. (no love for the rMBP which scraps the ODD)

This drive seems to be newly released, as a quick search for the UJ267 returns with no information on the drive.

The listing also seems valid. I'd love to see a video of it working but for now anyone looking for an internal Blu-Ray drive should keep an eye out for the Panasonic UJ267. Maybe cheaper alternatives could come but at the moment the UJ267 seems to be the only choice.

Also, keep in mind that Mac OS X does NOT support Blu-Ray discs.

I wonder if Apple will contradict themselves and include a BTO option for this drive, which would be awesome.

dan23osu

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2012
There is now a review of the drive here: <a href="http://www.lowendmac.com/ed/bashur/12db/blu-ray-drive-for-mac.html" target="_blank">Low End Mac UJ-267 Review</a>

Last edited:

iKIKO

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2011
so is there a efficient and real way to play blue rays on a mac ? im very interesting about this. just yesterday noon, i went to an office depot and they had an external blue ray burner, i would love to watch some of my blue rays on the new ipad :D

Nov 28, 2010
located
There is now a review of the drive here: <a href="http://www.lowendmac.com/ed/bashur/12db/blu-ray-drive-for-mac.html" target="_blank">Low End Mac UJ-267 Review</a>

When making a link, first write down what the link should say, like "This is a review of that drive", then select the text like you would copy it, press the
createlink.gif
button, insert the URL and press OK.
That is how a link works on vBB.

Or if you want to use tags, look here: https://forums.macrumors.com/help/bb-codes/

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA
Man after all this time blu-ray natively is finally a reality. Pretty cool...but $300 for a drive is a lottt

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
Also, keep in mind that Mac OS X does NOT support Blu-Ray discs.
- Sure it does. You can read a blu-ray in Mac OS X just fine. There just isn't any proper software to play blu-ray movies.

You can actually play Blu-ray movies with a piece of software called the Mac Blu-ray Player. (http://www.macblurayplayer.com)
- I'd rather not play anything than have to put up with that.
In my opinion, using Windows in Bootcamp is a far better solution for Blu-ray playback.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
Wow, that Samsung drive supports writing to quad layer BD-R discs, that's 128GB per disc!

Just saying, no one will use a quad-layer BD-R.
Not to mention that only a handful of people actually write to BD-Rs to begin with...

Polska

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2008
Rio de Janeiro - RJ
Another option for Mac Blu-ray playback software is DVDFab Media Player. It works pretty well and it's still in beta right now so it's free. External USB BD burners are also cheap as can be -- here's a good one that works great with OS X.

I have to say, 60 dollars for a Blu-Ray software player is a lot in my opinion. Seems to be a standardised price since two softwares that I found cost the same price. Nobody knows one a bit cheaper than this?

Thanks!

kfscoll

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2009
I have to say, 60 dollars for a Blu-Ray software player is a lot in my opinion. Seems to be a standardised price since two softwares that I found cost the same price. Nobody knows one a bit cheaper than this?

Thanks!

RIF - beta versions of DVDFab Media Player are free for 30/60 days. Updates happen more frequently than that so you should be good to go for quite sometime.

kfscoll

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2009
This is a case of too little too late! Not only is blu-ray nearly dead...the slot for the player is just about dead...LOL

I sure hope Blu-ray still has some life left. As far as video and audio quality go, there's no match (yet) for BD. Downloads aren't there yet.

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 18, 2010
I sure hope Blu-ray still has some life left. As far as video and audio quality go, there's no match (yet) for BD. Downloads aren't there yet.

Oh Blu-rays are here to stay for a while. I don't think anyone would prefer downloading a 50GB movie over a single Blu-ray disc...

dba415

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
Bluray quality is just better than what you get with downloads. I dont know of any home theatre afficionado who does not have bluray and says iTunes is sufficient. Plus owning a physical copy feels better

FastEddiebags

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2012
NJ
Bluray quality is just better than what you get with downloads. I dont know of any home theatre afficionado who does not have bluray and says iTunes is sufficient. Plus owning a physical copy feels better
I'd have to agree. Also there are plenty of people that still use red box therefore blu ray is needed. Downloading a 1080p movie takes a good amount of time but renting a dvd takes only minutes ( plus the drive)

pbmagnet4

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2009
This actually seems like something I would purchase. BR is going to be around for the long haul, and although 400$ may seem to be alot, I plan to keep my cMBP for at least 4-5 years. At a little less than 100$ a year or 8.50$ a month. They also sell a read only version that is 150$ cheaper which looks promising, but the real moneys worth to get out the 400$ one is being able to rip the BRs.

Beta Particle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
This is a case of too little too late! Not only is blu-ray nearly dead...the slot for the player is just about dead...LOL
Nearly dead? Blu-ray is doing better compared to DVD at this stage in its life than DVD was doing compared to VHS, and has consistently been doing so for years now.

It's not like there are any viable alternatives showing up, download quality is terrible, pricing is high, and the market is tiny outside of USA due to licensing deals.

dba415

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2011
Plus, you underestimate how many people just like to spend money on things and are not savvy enough to download movies on a computer and then have it play on their HDTV somehow.

Blu-ray players are cheap, you can buy one for $30 on amazon right now. It's easy, and people know how to use it, and I like having a shelf with all my movies on display, feels good.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I want PROPER Blu Ray player software.

I have an external Blu Ray burner that I never use that I bought years ago because it was the last chance to get one with HD DVD ROM support, even if I don't own any HD DVDs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.