Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roman2K~

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2011
Sorry to revive this old thread. Just an FYI, from Ms. Bella@Shenzhen Time In Top Technology (sales9@rrdn.net):

For the 9.5mm slot loading Blu-Ray reader/writer, we have the following:
(1)Panasonic UJ-267
Type: blu-ray writer.
9.5mm, SATA interface, slot in.

6XBD-R writing, support 100GB blu-ray disc.
MOQ is 30 pcs.
Original and bran-new.
One year warranty.
For sample, USD $125 EXW HK.

(2)Panasonic UJ-167
Type: blu-ray combo/reader
9.5mm, SATA interface, slot in.
MOQ is also 30 pcs.
6XBD-ROM reading, support 100GB blu-ray disc.
Original and bran-new.
One year warranty.
For sample, USD $115 EXW HK.

Both the two models require MOQ.
If you need sample, will have to wait until we collect the orders up to 30 pcs.

I don't need a Blu-Ray drive for a MBP anymore, but if anyone else needs one, the rrdn.net route seems fine. I bought an external USB drive from them about one and a half years ago, delivered quickly, still working perfectly, and they respond promptly to e-mails.

pbmagnet4

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2009
Sorry to revive this old thread. Just an FYI, from Ms. Bella@Shenzhen Time In Top Technology (sales9@rrdn.net):

I don't need a Blu-Ray drive for a MBP anymore, but if anyone else needs one, the rrdn.net route seems fine. I bought an external USB drive from them about one and a half years ago, delivered quickly, still working perfectly, and they respond promptly to e-mails.

Went this route and for 180$ (including software) I have this running great in my 13' 2012 i7. Just wanted to confirm this drive works even in the 13' (I wouldnt see why not).

secretanchitman

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Went this route and for 180$ (including software) I have this running great in my 13' 2012 i7. Just wanted to confirm this drive works even in the 13' (I wouldnt see why not).

Looking to do this for my 2011 15" Macbook Pro. The Panasonic UJ-267 isn't listed on rrdn.net, only the UJ-265 is.

If I can get this for $125, I'll gladly pay for it!

pbmagnet4

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2009
Looking to do this for my 2011 15" Macbook Pro. The Panasonic UJ-267 isn't listed on rrdn.net, only the UJ-265 is.

If I can get this for $125, I'll gladly pay for it!

You may have to contact via email, I had to wait about a month to receive mine. It came out to be 155$ shipped and Paypal'd.

goldstarqc

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2009
You may have to contact via email, I had to wait about a month to receive mine. It came out to be 155$ shipped and Paypal'd.

Did you get a case? I was looking for a real aluminium case like the Apple drive, but I only find cheap plastic clone painted in "aluminium" color... did you find a real alum. case somewhere?

pbmagnet4

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2009
Did you get a case? I was looking for a real aluminium case like the Apple drive, but I only find cheap plastic clone painted in "aluminium" color... did you find a real alum. case somewhere?

Idk what you are asking here. I put the blu ray drive inside my mbp, but have yet to find a decent housing for the old superdrive...

7hil

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2013
I recently fitted this drive into my 2012 13" MacBook Pro.

Anyone found getting the drive to align to drive slot tricky? I find that because the old drive cover doesn't quite fit this one sometimes the drive slips out of alignment and causes discs to be scratched when being ejected.

pbmagnet4

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2009
I recently fitted this drive into my 2012 13" MacBook Pro.

Anyone found getting the drive to align to drive slot tricky? I find that because the old drive cover doesn't quite fit this one sometimes the drive slips out of alignment and causes discs to be scratched when being ejected.

Not in particular, would you mind taking some photos?

7hil

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2013
I've actually taken the drive out and refitted the SuperDrive as I had playback issues too and am having a new UJ267 drive posted. For some reason it would only play on my boot camp partition with AnyDVD installed so something funny with the aacs directory was happening I reckon.

Anyway I was finding that only two of the four screw holes from the SuperDrive cover were aligning with the blu-ray drive and that the SuperDrive cover was not as wide as the Blu-ray drive. As a result trying to fit the SuperDrive cover onto the blu-ray drive was causing the blu-ray drive to curve and buckle causing disc edges to rub against the sides during playback. I fixed that by widening the SuperDrive cover so it would fit without causing the buckling but then I have had eject issues causing scratches to discs.

So far it's just not quite going as swimmingly as I would have hoped.

offspringer

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2013
Yes, I found it tricky too.. after a couple hours trying to install the UJ267 drive I gave up on the swapping of the covers. They simply won't fit each other. My superdrive is a GS31N manufactured on June 2012 and my macbook is a Mid 2012 15'. Also, the screw holes of my superdrive looks slightly different from the ones of UJ267 and I think only one hole would fit if they were correctly swapped.

Have anyone managed to successfully swap the covers? Whats the exact model of your superdrive?

Currently my UJ267 is installed with only one screw (the back screw) holding it to the case and I don't feel really safe...

Thanks!

7hil

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2013
Exactly the same superdrive mate (GS31N). Mine is a 2012 13" MacBook Pro. Initially I could only get one screw to fit for the cover but managed to get two to fit more recently. I've read about using electrical tape to keep the other sides together which I've ordered.

I think one of the main issues is that the drive is only held in with two screws at the drive entrance end. The screw that's supposed to hold it in place the other end can't because there is no bracket on the UJ267 to hold it in place.

I'm hoping the new drive I've been sent and lashings of electrical tape will sort out the problem.

offspringer

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2013
Exactly the same superdrive mate (GS31N). Mine is a 2012 13" MacBook Pro. Initially I could only get one screw to fit for the cover but managed to get two to fit more recently. I've read about using electrical tape to keep the other sides together which I've ordered.

I think one of the main issues is that the drive is only held in with two screws at the drive entrance end. The screw that's supposed to hold it in place the other end can't because there is no bracket on the UJ267 to hold it in place.

I'm hoping the new drive I've been sent and lashings of electrical tape will sort out the problem.

Hmmm I'm wondering how have you managed to fit two screws after a cover swap... it's a miracle!!! Mine don't even stands in place without bending some parts (which I'm not doing)...
Anyway, I just installed the new drive without swapping the cover and used the silver tape from the original superdrive to fix it in place.

During this process the 3.9mm philips screw got stripped and I'm looking for something to replace it.... cannot find anywhere =/

offspringer

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2013
did i ask for your opinion or comment that has nothing to do with the thread?

iil enjoy my awesome computer while you keep daydreaming about a mac on macrumors

You probably don't read your own posts. Is this topic about a retina macbook? And no, I don't want a retina macbook.

You made me laugh! ;)

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
You probably don't read your own posts. Is this topic about a retina macbook? And no, I don't want a retina macbook.

You made me laugh! ;)

my comment was valid, as i said i wasnt interested due to he retinas not having an optical drive.

so u agree that u come onto macrumors to mope about macbooks

7hil

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2013
Well received my replacement drive today which fits and works perfectly. No more playback issues or scratched discs. Very happy!:)

offspringer

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2013
I fixed my problem by buying a spare UJ898 drive and swapping covers between UJ898 and UJ267. Now it fits perfectly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.