Blu-Ray Question

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by wrndchapman, Jul 13, 2015.

1. wrndchapman macrumors newbie

Looking to see if it's possible to use Blu-Ray as a storage medium for documents and/or photographs. I very recently had a Western Digital and a LaCie external hard drives fail, just a couple weeks apart. Fortunately, I had a third external that I had copies of valuable information backed-up to and was able to copy my info back to the failed drives after they were replaced (under warranty). Also, what software cold/would be utilized to copy info to Blu-Ray?

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

3. wrndchapman thread starter macrumors newbie

Just for clarity, I would like to use Blu-Ray disk as I would use a DVD/CD to store digital photos. I have no interest in ripping movies or creating movies to be burned to Blu-ray. I have a Samsung Blu-ray burner attached to my Mac Pro (purchased in late 2013) and have several thousands of digital photos that I want to move off of external disks attached to my Mac Pro for long term storage. I have Roxio's Toast software, but only find instructions/direction for burning movies or creating a slide show that could be burned to Blu-Ray. If the Toast software does not have this capability, is there any other option available. Thanks for your assistance.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yes, you can burn a Blu-ray just like you would a CD.

5. wrndchapman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Going to give it a try this evening.

6. bgd macrumors regular

I've lost photos using CD / DVD for storage. They deteriorate with age. Blu-ray may well go the same way. Just be aware of the possibility.

7. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

You need to pick up some archival BR or DVD's if thats what you're looking to do

8. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Lowendlinux beat me to it, but that is what you need to do. They are little more expensive, but can you really put a price on pictures.

Here are a few from amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...vptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_1vhyatvgsy_b

Walmart:

http://www.walmart.com/search/?quer...8674896&wl4=kwd-451931082&wl5=9030938&veh=sem

Just make sure the disc that you do get says "Archival" on them.

9. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Go into Toast, create a new data disk, drag as many photos to it as you can and burn.

Anyone know if there are read-write (write multiple times) Blu-Ray burners/disks?

10. wrndchapman thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks very much to everyone for this information. I was unaware of Archival Blu-Ray dick. Having worked in Information Technology for may years (been retired for awhile), almost all of the data we handled was backed up to LTO tape in very large, multi-LTO tape drive jukeboxes. I'm glad to be able to continue or attempt to stay abreast of the every changing computer technology. Most appreciated of the assist.

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Hmmm, burning one of those might be painful ;)

12. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Not a problem! They tend to be a little more expensive, but it is worth it, if you are putting photos and documents on them.