Blu-Rip and Conversion

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by thunderclap, Feb 22, 2010.

1. thunderclap macrumors 6502a

thunderclap

I'm looking for an easy way to rip a BR movie, then convert it to Apple ProRes so I can edit it in FCP. So far the best ripping solution I've found (and it works well BTW) is MakeMKV. The problem is converting the MKV file to a format I can edit. Nothing seems to be able to convert to ProRs. I've tried a few different programs that can do H.264, MP4 and MOV but playback of those files after conversion and very stuttery. And this is on a Core i7 system with 6GB RAM.

Has anyone found an effective way of converting MKV to an editable format FCP will like, preferably ProRes?

2. thunderclap thread starter macrumors 6502a

thunderclap

I found a program called PavTube (http://www.pavtube.com/blu-ray-ripper-mac). I tried the demo and it seems to work well and for $50 it's not a bad price. Just curious if anyone has had any experience with it?

3. oposky2006 macrumors member

well, i have also tried Pavtube Blu-ray Ripper. it seems really an easy way to deal with this problem. It can rip and convert blu-ray to many other formats at the same time. Amazing!!! Besides, the output audio-video quality is perfect. im considering to use it.:)

4. burner72450 macrumors newbie

i have stumbled on this software as well today. i just bought myself a brand new LG BE08LU20 BD/DVD/CD rewriter today, with a nice 20 pack spindle of 25GB blanks.

i am just looking for the best software out there to rip my Blu Ray movies to make back ups. does this "PavTube" work with removing copyright protection?

i have burned dvds left and right for many years now, this Blu Ray ripping/burning is all new to me. i am going to try the demo as well to see how well it works. if it works great ill be buying it. if anyone has any better suggestions on blu ray ripping, im all ears/eyes.

5. oposky2006 macrumors member

as far as i know, it can remove copytight protection. at least, it works great for me.
    Good luck:)

6. hsia12210 macrumors newbie

Just do it! This kind of BD ripper is completely compatible with Mac OS X, and is capable of eliminating protections of whatever Blu-ray discs you throw at it. Best of all, it is able to rip BD files to almost all the popular video and audio formats. In that way, playback Blu-ray on Mac is not an unreachable thing any more. :)

7. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

MakeMKV, and it also has a streaming server so you don't even have to rip the disc. Launch it, then you can open the movie in VLC. If you need other formats, you can run it through Handbrake.

Why does Pavtube for Mac download as a Windows setup file? Sounds very suspicious to me.

8. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

I've used Pavtube for Mac and Windows and I can't get it to complete without crashing my computer. I swear the demo versions worked without a problem, but since buying the software I have been unable to rip and convert any blu-rays successfully.

I'm running the lifehacker hackintosh (q9550, 8GB RAM, 9800GTX+) on Snow Leopard. The mac will freeze part way through the encoding process, or if I take a small 5 minute chunk of the movie, it converts but is choppy and audio is out os sync.

The windows version doesn't seem to be much better for me either under the same machine. Freezing or random restart happens during conversion.

I've been successful with AnyDVDHD trial extracting the full m2ts file, so it doesn't appear to be an issue with the specific movie/disc.

Anyone else using the paid version of pavtube and running a hackintosh having problems? Anyone not having problems??

I wondered if the stuttering was due to speed stepping or something on the processors side, but I've tried disabling the bios settings on this and still didn't see any change.

Anyone have any ideas, thoughts or comments?

9. Mr-Stabby macrumors 6502

Pavtube for Mac actually looked like it was just what i was after, so tried the demo.

I tried one disk, it said it was 'temporarily unreadable', whatever that means. When i did find a disk that did work, no matter what format i converted it to, the resulting output movie was a garbled mess. I thought it might have been Perian or one of my other random plugins screwing it up, so removed all those and still nothing. I tried other disks and got the same results.

MakeMKV seems to be the better option at the moment, but i don't like the fact you have to rip a whole title, you can't select a a chapter or a tiny bit of one chapter.

10. oposky2006 macrumors member

well, it's really wierd, i just download a Mac steup file from its official website. But it is only available for intel version now, if not, it will not run on your Mac.
    Check this download link(pavtube for Mac from official website):
    http://download.pavtube.com/blu-ray-ripper-mac/blu-rayrippermac_intel_setup.dmg

11. thunderclap thread starter macrumors 6502a

thunderclap

I've been struggling with PavTube since I purchased it. The demo seemed to work for me, but now that I'm trying to keep the frame rate specific to the BR I'm ripping (23.976) I'm having a several issues. Either the a/v sync is off or I get video stuttering. The only way I've found to keep the video playing properly is to use the default 30 fps. Unfortunately that won't work for what I'm trying to do. But if you don't need the default frame rate then this product might be fine.

For those having trouble I'd suggest doing a direct copy first, and then try to convert.

@Martinm0: I'm on a Hackintosh too and Pavtube works fine so far as ripping and default converting.

12. hsia12210 macrumors newbie

Hi, Stabby, which version, you used? Maybe is your "one" Blu-ray disc has the BD+ copy protection, BD+ is a technology used to prevent unauthorized copies of Blu-ray discs and the playback of Blu-ray media using unauthorized devices, which is more powerful than the former AACS protections, perhaps this is the reason for "temporarily unreadable",:(
    The latest version 2.5.1.1418 of Pavtube Blu-ray ripper is strengthen removing BD+ protections from Blu-ray disc, I think, you should download the new version of pavtube again, and try again:)
    I hope it will be of great help for you:)

Hsia Wendy

13. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

So get MakeMKV. It's the best of the lot under OS X.

14. hsia12210 macrumors newbie

Cave Man, look at this:
    http://download.wareseeker.com/makemkv-1.5.2-beta/

MakeMKV 1.5.2 will be a paid software, for ripping Blu-ray disc( only Blu-ray to MKV format), it's really a good freeware, but not a good shareware, the change is bad for all!:(

I found an interesting EX about ripping Blu-ray to Apple TV at: http://www.ripdifferent.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=11804

15. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

The MakeMKV devs have always said that it will be free while in beta and for fee aftwarwards. This is nothing new. I've tried two Blu-ray discs with Pavtube and one failed to read, the other crashed Pavtube. I've tried MakeMKV on about 20 of my Bluray discs and it's ripped every one of them. This is really no contest - MakeMKV is superior to Pavtube.

Why are you directing me to some other forum site where I have to log on?

16. hsia12210 macrumors newbie

lol:, I am sorry, look
    Did you know what the words "will be" mean? I have never been wrong, :D
    you can check out it here:
    http://www.makemkv.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1054

Yes, you have to log on the forum site to read the interesting EX if you want, it's the forum rules by their, not mine.:)

But, about Pavtube and MakeMKV, which one is a better one?
    One man's meat is another man's poison
    :)

17. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Well, considering that PavTube hasn't worked for me, while MakeMKV has worked every time, I'll spend my money on MakeMKV.

18. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

I present to you another option that frankly looks a lot less sleazy than Pavtube and the other lookalikes:

http://www.macblurayripperpro.com/

Demo, cheaper, and rips the disc straight as is, unlike MakeMKV's forced packaging in an MKV, which can be a pain depending on what you want to do with it. It just rips, though, and doesn't let you only rip certain titles like MakeMKV does.

But it's worth taking a look at. Steer clear of Pavtube and anything (interface-wise) that looks like it. They're either crummy windows ports or ripped off software.

This one's clearly the real deal. You'll see what I mean after trying it.

19. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I just dl'd that app to try it. It scanned the disc for about 15 minutes then when I clicked on rip it said it couldn't find the keys. I clicked on rip again and it beach balled.

20. hsia12210 macrumors newbie

Hi, Cave Man, can you tell me the version(Pavtube) you used?
    The latest version is 2.5.1.1418, upgraded at 12 March,
    I think, you should try it again, you will change your thought about it.

21. AAPLMediaCenter macrumors newbie

Handbrake will work with the MKV without problems.