Blue-Ray with the upcoming MacBook Pro Revision ???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Troste, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Troste macrumors newbie

Hi, I just want to discuss how the chances are that Aplle will implement blue-ray drives in the next MacBook Pro lineup? Is the high power consumption still a big problem and does this also concern dvd and cd playback in blue-ray drives?

2. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

No chance.

I think apple feel the way forward is through wireless transmission of info. As such you buy movies online and download them thus missing out blu-ray altogether.

I don't think we'll see bluray until:
    a) It becomes more popular.
    b) It significantly reduces in price.

3. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

Forget about it. At least for now.

4. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Hmmm....
    New MacBook/Ps... new design... new architecture..... new features.... new optical drive???:confused:

Might not seem like it but then... you never know Apple!

5. Yixian macrumors 65816

Almost every laptop over £600 has a blu ray drive or even burner now. Battery life isn't a problem, size isn't a problem, cost isn't a problem, and Apple have been part of the blu ray team since the beginning.

There's no reason not to include blu ray other than Apple's usual refusal to give value for money on the MBP.

6. Bubba Satori macrumors 601

Bubba Satori

That works on High def movies and download caps. :rolleyes:

7. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

I really hope and believe blu-ray capability will show up in Macs.

The download movies over the net model is in real jeopardy over the impending download caps coming from the broadband providers.

8. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I believe this is what the 'product transition' refers to. BluRay!

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

People have yet to show me battery lives of laptops with Blu-ray.

This shouldn't be too hard, since apparently almost all laptops over £600 have Blu-ray.

When the technology exists to have at LEAST three hours of battery life with Blu-ray, Apple will implement it in addition to a "turn off the ODD to save power" feature in System Preferences.

Until then, and until they come to like HDCP (yeah, right), Apple will NEVER put Blu-ray in a Mac.

Here's the kicker: OS X can already read and burn to Blu-ray disks. It can only not play movies because of HDCP. But guess what? AN APPLE BLU-RAY OPTION WILL BE OBSCENELY HIGH PRICED. Why do all of you people want Apple to offer it? You'll just turn around and complain about the price!

10. Yixian macrumors 65816

Unlikely, sorry but blu ray isn't big news anymore, it's pretty much standard across new computers. It's not remarkable and it's not high end, every new iMac, MBP and Mac Pro should come with it as standard now.

11. Winter Charm macrumors 6502a

Winter Charm

yeah i mean, i plan to buy a MBP maxed out in 2 years for college and i plan for it to have all the latest, -- if apple wants to stay on top it HAS to keep up with technology, if it doesnt, then thers no reason to buy a macbook pro

12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Obviously not. Case in point: Mac Mini. Another case: Combo Drives still exist.

OS X will always be enough incentive for enough people. Therefore, Apple doesn't have to fill your Blu-ray niche.

13. buyusfear macrumors 6502

Toast 9 has Blue Ray burning capabilities.
    Does this mean my iMac or MBP can burn blueray, or do I need an external drive??

14. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You need an actual Blu-ray drive, but yes, you can burn to Blu-ray on your Mac with Toast.

15. tivoboy macrumors 68030

okay

okay, this is just not accurate. While blu-ray drives are AVAILABLE for SOME manufacturers, it is in no way a standard feature or a usual option in this price range. Dell offers it on SOME models, two, as a 400$ (200bp) option. HP offers it on SOME for 250$, definitely neither are burners only ROM.

Lenovo only offers this on their ultrabay slab, so not an integrated solution YET. that sled plus blu-ray player is 600$.

I could see apple making in available, but not in the same price range 2KUSD or their normal MBP lineup.

16. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

There are no 9.5mm Blu-Ray slot loading drives, so this is a no.

17. jmoh macrumors newbie

sony vaio Z series...nuff said.

18. iMacmatician macrumors 601

I very highly doubt it.
    1. It's not even in the Mac Pro. Toss out price / battery life / thickness arguments out here.
    2. Apple seems to be moving away from optical media (iLife '08, iTunes Store, etc.).
    And it would take many extra charges caused by going over the download caps to make up for that.

There are other ways to give value for money. Using the fastest and second-fastest 35 W CPUs (instead of second- and third-fastest) on the MBP is a start. Bigger HDs and more RAM is always good.

Battery lives please.

19. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

These are when watching movies.

http://www.cnet.com.au/laptops/laptops/0,239035649,339284055,00.htm 1.5 Hours

http://www.cnet.com.au/laptops/laptops/0,239035649,339287647,00.htm 1 Hour

I also looked at the Inspiron 1525 that Dell offers...and reading all the reviews the people say that it doesnt last more than 2 hours. http://www.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/inspnnb_1525?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&~oid=us~en~29~bluray_lt_2~~

Hope that helps.

20. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Bingo. That's EXACTLY what I mean. There is NO usable battery life whatsoever, so until there is, there will be no Blu-ray.

Battery life, please.

21. m1stake macrumors 68000

BluRay wouldn't make the next version by itself. Because of the abysmal battery life, that would easily be enough to break it.

22. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Hasn't Jobs himself stated he doesn't believe in disc-format as a future medium?

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Since Blue-ray doesn't exist, the answer would be NO.

24. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Hey, come on now. Back in ought three before ratification, that's what it was called... until they found out that you can't trademark a color.

I liked it better with the e...

25. piimaPAKK macrumors member

But considering blu ray movie is like 27gigs for 2 hours its not very convinient downloading and storing them. Ofcourse you can compress it but then it starts to lose its quality and thats pointless for hd content.