Bluetooth and Wi-Fi Aren't Fully Disabled When Toggled Off in Control Center on iOS 11

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 20, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple has confirmed that Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are not fully disabled when toggled off in Control Center on iOS 11.

[​IMG]

Even when toggled off in Control Center on an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch running iOS 11 and later, a new support document says Bluetooth and Wi-Fi will continue to be available for AirDrop, AirPlay, Apple Pencil, Apple Watch, Location Services, and Continuity features like Handoff and Instant Hotspot.

Toggling off Bluetooth or Wi-Fi in Control Center only disconnects accessories now, rather than disabling connectivity entirely.

If Bluetooth is turned off, the iOS device can't be connected to any Bluetooth accessories until one of these conditions is met:

You turn on Bluetooth in Control Center.
    You connect to a Bluetooth accessory in Settings > Bluetooth.
    It's 5 a.m. local time.
    You restart your device.

While Wi-Fi is disabled, auto-join for any nearby Wi-Fi networks will also be disabled until one of these conditions is met:

You turn on Wi-Fi in Control Center.
    You connect to a Wi-Fi network in Settings > Wi-Fi.
    You walk or drive to a new location.
    It's 5 a.m. local time.
    You restart your device.

Apple made this change in the iOS 11 beta, and it gained more attention after the software was publicly released yesterday.

iOS 11 users can still completely disable Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for all networks and devices by toggling them off in the Settings app.

Apple says users should try to keep Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned on for the best experience on an iOS device.

(Thanks, FlunkedFlank!)

Article Link: Bluetooth and Wi-Fi Aren't Fully Disabled When Toggled Off in Control Center on iOS 11

2. Geert76 macrumors 65816

3. bennyf macrumors regular

bennyf

So glad, I thought I was losing my mind with WiFi coming back on. Somehow missed this feature in the betas.

At first glance, I'm a fan. Can always fully turn them off in Settings.

4. djeeyore25 macrumors 6502

djeeyore25

5. Lord Hamsa macrumors 6502a

Perhaps, but some of us work in locations (at least some of the time) that prohibit Bluetooth and/or WiFi from being active. Thanks for pointing out the limitations of this feature so that those of us won't accidentally violate those rules.

6. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Can you press and hold one of the shortcuts to open the full settings page in the Settings app yet?

7. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

The original iPhone famously came without a manual as everything was so obvious. That time is over.

8. ChazSch macrumors 6502

ChazSch

if you don't like it, turn it off. It takes less time than complaining about it.. :) Happy Surfing!

9. x34 macrumors 6502

as the ios 11 update is.

10. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Where did this 5am thing come from? How did they decided on 5am?

11. ghostface147 macrumors 68020

ghostface147

This annoys me. Add a 3D touch option to turn it off. Thanks.

12. mzeb macrumors member

mzeb

Does airplane mode still completely disable things?

13. sers macrumors regular

So if I toggle wifi off in Control Centre, does that mean it's still on? A bit confused here.

14. dannys1 macrumors 68020

dannys1

It's the universal safe zone between when people who like to stay up late go to bed and when people who like to get up early wake up. It's the new "new day" time.

15. vooke macrumors regular

vooke

16. DogHouseDub macrumors regular

DogHouseDub

"Apple says users should try to keep Wi-Fi and Bluetooth turned on for the best experience on an iOS device".

In an area with wifi networks that you cannot join, the phone will continue trying to join ad infinitum. Seems to prevent downloading emails via cellular on my phone. Once I completely disable wifi, I get a bolus of emails.

17. enrilo macrumors newbie

Nope... that's the annoying part.
    I'd really want the previous behavior. This "feature" is completely useless for a "pro" user and I though it was a bug for 8 betas.

Also: why not to put a flag into settings to restore the complete switch off instead of this. Apple, wtf are you doing?!

18. grobik macrumors member

I don't mind. But an option to force press to completely toggle would be nice.

19. davidb8 macrumors regular

Yes it will disconnect from WiFi network but keep WiFi on

20. longofest Editor emeritus

longofest

I was thinking the exact same thing. Someone reached and pulled that straight out of their ass.

21. d5aqoëp macrumors 6502a

d5aqoëp

What annoys most is Wifi and Bluetooth turn on forcibly after toggling airplane mode even if they were previously turned off. They have mastered the art of shoving down annoying features down our throat.

22. Mike Oxard macrumors 6502a

Mike Oxard

Yep. like turning off wifi hotspot only for it to turn itself back on again if one of your devices tries to connect.

23. izyreal macrumors member

Overall I like this. It would be even better if I could use the Settings page to control what is and is not toggled by the control center switch.

24. dannys1 macrumors 68020

dannys1

A "pro" smartphone user.

They really should have called this thing the iPhone Pro :D

25. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

99% of the times I turn off WiFi it's because I'm associated with some weak-arsed crap network that isn't passing any data, and it's a temporary condition.

I for one welcome this change.

I realize other people have different reasons for turning off WiFi, though, so can understand folks being upset.