Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pthurgood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
Melbourne
So I bought a pair of Beats X about a week ago, everything was great, setup was really easy.
Today both of my Macs have decided that they don't like it when I connect to them (no problems with my iPhone)

When I connect to my MacBook Pro, the headphones default to using the SCO codec which sounds pretty close to unlistenable. (Figure attached)

Whats happening is that its changing the sound input to the BeatsX which seems to be sending the BeatsX into "headset mode", this is a new occurrence today, but its happening on both my MacBook and MacBook Pro.

I can fix the audio quality by manually selecting the internal microphone as my input device, this changes the audio codec back to AAC and things sounds good.

If I disconnect the Beats X and reconnect it defaults to using the Beat X as the input device and the audio sounds absolutely terrible. So it looks like I have to manually open the sound settings and change the input device to the internal mic or these very new earbuds will sounds like garbage.

Any ideas? This is entirely new, and previously wasn't a problem until today, but its affecting two Macs, both running 10.12.4

A few older threads online suggested the following terminal command: sudo killall coreaudiod
But it does not resolve the problem

Another way to trigger the input device change is opening Adobe Premier Pro, no idea why

Attachments

• Beats X problem.jpg
    Beats X problem.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 1,137
Reactions: gfbane

pthurgood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 10, 2009
Melbourne
Yep! :) The beats updater software says I'm running the current firmware (6.7.0) but the beats X are meant to update over the air, it may have updated yesterday without me knowing and introduced a bug in this version.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Yep! :) The beats updater software says I'm running the current firmware (6.7.0) but the beats X are meant to update over the air, it may have updated yesterday without me knowing and introduced a bug in this version.

You'll probably have to contact Beats support to find out when the latest firmware became available. That would definitely be a suspect if it was very recent. It could be they're already aware of an issue.

You may be able to use a combination of ControlPlane, scripting and switchaudo-osx to create an automatic version of what you have to do to get them to work properly.

gfbane

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2013
This is still an issue. I am using the Beats Studio3 headphones and when I connect them to any of my Macs, the noise cancelling turns off and the audio quality goes to terrible. Why can't I setup an "audio profile" where whenever I connect the beats, it defaults the audio input to the internal Mic. Will this affect the sound quality if I do want to use these for skype or facetime?

Why doesn't this happen with the airpods?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.