Bluetooth causes wifi speed degradation?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rywen, Oct 11, 2016.

1. rywen macrumors member

Just curious if anyone else has had this problem. I noticed this with my iPhone 7 Plus over the weekend; when bluetooth is enabled, my wifi download speed drops significantly. The upload speed doesn't seem to change much. This only happens on 2.4ghz but not 5ghz. I've reproduced this in two different locations with four different wifi access points and three different routers. The problem doesn't happen with my iPhone 6s Plus on the same access points.

Since I upgraded to the 7, I've noticed occasionally I'll lose connection to all bluetooth devices. I've seen this happen at home and in the car, so I don't think it's an interference related issue. I'm guessing the problem is a bad bluetooth chipset. Apple is going to send me a replacement after I confirm that neither resetting network settings or doing a factory reset fix the issue (didn't have time to try those fixes today).

I was just curious if anyone else has experienced this and if the problem could be anything other than a bad bluetooth chipset... such as a bluetooth application.

2. mikolajek macrumors newbie

mikolajek

I have the same and in fact also posted here on the issue. I've been reading different forums searching for a resolution but haven't found anything feasible. In my case manipulating WiFi settings doesn't help, so I'm stuck with turning BT on/off when I use WiFi extensively.

It looks for me like a iOS-related issue as it started happening after upgrade to 10.3.2.

3. Newtons Apple, May 26, 2017
    Last edited: May 26, 2017

Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

Just tested mine and the up and down speeds are almost the same with Bluetooth on or off. No difference. Using a 7+.

BT on
    89.59 Mbps download
    11.84 Mbps upload.

BT off
    89.62 Mbps download
    11.81 Mbps upload.

4. mikolajek macrumors newbie

mikolajek

The top number of related posts I've found comes from 2012-2014. I've even found some "manifest" to Apple asking them to clear this issue up ;). It looks it's not that popular anymore, but apparently still quite common - both with phones, tablets and macbooks. Just search this and other Apple-related forums.

Lucky those who are not affected!

5. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

How do you figure it is common. This is the first I have seen this. If it were common you would see more here.

6. Thor_1 macrumors 6502a

No issues here. Asked my family, zero issues across 6 devices.