Bluetooth home audio speakers

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by setty7, Dec 19, 2012.

1. setty7 macrumors member

Can yall post pics/info on your bluetooth speakers? Im looking for some that are loud and not to big. Thanks!

2. JNGold macrumors 6502a

JNGold

I have both the Jawbone Jambox (small) and the JBL Flip. I like the JBL so much more. The sound is much better on the JBL and has a bit more bass than the JB.

3. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

We've got a Supertooth Disco, pretty solid SQ, bi-directional control, can run with a direct connection via 3.5mm audio jack, holds a pretty long charge (easily runs a whole day at 50-75% volume), comes with a nice case/cover.

Bought it over the Jambox after doing a pretty good bit of research, it's a bit bigger, and I believe the Jambox has a mic for a bluetooth speakerphone type setup, but the Supertooth has smoother highs and a little richer bass.

It's probably about a wash in the long run.

Honestly, if you want "loud", and don't need portable, I'd just consider using a BT audio receiver into a full sized audio setup (amp/receiver, speakers), or even better use an AirPlay compatible setup (AppleTV, AirPlay receiver), and you won't have any range issues (at least in your house).

4. setty7 thread starter macrumors member

sorry guys let me clarify. I want a one like the Jawbone, Clarity HD etc. not a reciever and speakers seperate. I would like an all in one type. Something about 12 inches long and up to 5-8 inches high. I would like it to be portable and be able to sit in my bed with my phone and control it from a remote even up to 15+ ft away.

As far as SQ...I want the sound to be crisp, not muffled, alot of bass and loud!

Also maybe one that has the radio built in and also a docking station as well as function thru bluetooth.

Thanks guys!

5. meistervu macrumors 65816

My impression of Bluetooth speakers are simple and portable, but average sound quality. From what I read, the bandwidth is not there to support good audio. But I guess there is nothing to stop companies to make loud Bluetooth speakers as sound quality and loudness are two different things.

I have Airplay speakers throughout the house and love it. I use 2 different setups: one is a $100 Airport Express connected to a pair of self powered AudioEngine A2, and the other is a Denon Airplay enabled receiver connected to a set of home theater speakers. If you have a sound system already, a $100 Airport Express is an inexpensive way to add remote speakers and they are likely sounds much better than Bluetooth speakers, and you don't have to worry about the range. They are however not portable. The other advantage is the placement of speakers for good stereo separation. You can't have good stereo when the left and right speakers are just a few inches apart in a portable Bluetooth speaker system.

6. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

Cool. Then I hold by my Supertooth recommendation:

http://www.amazon.com/SuperTooth-Disco-Bluetooth-Stereo-Speaker/dp/B002G1Y7LO

That's $118 Prime at Amazon, great price. There's also a Disco 2 model, totally different design, I'm sure it's improved since most manufacturers tend to do that with new revisions of products.

It's more or less "remote", it sits in standby, you connect via your iPhone, it fires right up, volume/track control from your phone (or you can control the phone from the speaker).

I have one sitting right here on my desk, leave it here on the charger so it's always ready to take to the beach :) Use it with my MBP, iPhone and iPad.

----------

I'd say that's generally pretty accurate.

7. setty7 thread starter macrumors member

D.T. does your speakers have the radio built in and a charging dock?

8. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

It doesn't, it's not really iPhone specific, so it's just a standalone speaker with a big knob :D

9. setty7 thread starter macrumors member

Does it come with a remote? Im looking at the jlab bouncer...

http://www.jlabaudio.com/product/index/id/718

anyone have pros/cons of this unit?

10. setty7 thread starter macrumors member

11. hafr macrumors 68030

12. El Jefe macrumors member

13. setty7 thread starter macrumors member

14. Blorzoga macrumors 68030

Blorzoga

I have the Nokia Play 360. Would highly recommend it. 20 hour battery life with a replaceable cell phone battery for when it wears out. Excellent sound. Also, Bose has one that is pretty pricey ($300+) but it sounds amazing (of course).

15. mpayne2k macrumors 6502a

mpayne2k

Co-worker has been raving about their Bose Soundlink BT Mobile Speaker II. Its pricy at 299, but is right there in price as the larger Jambox.

Amazon link: http://tinyurl.com/ar86aom

16. MarkCooz macrumors 6502a

I own the Big Jambox by Jawbone. I love it every time i use it.
    Bedroom, Living Room, Shower. Doesn't matter the sound and features it has is amazing.

I went to the Bose Store and tried out the SoundLink II It's decent for what it is. I was actually contemplating whether to actually buy the Bose over the Jambox since hey... It's Bose. They've been in the Audio game for quite some time now and has the reputation for great sounds.

But when I tried the JamBox at best buy it blew my mind. Played my music and it's amazing! You get two options for the sound. Live 3D Audio Sound, and Normal Mode.. I keep mine in Live 3D Audio cause the base bumps harder and just sounds better IMO. The Big JamBox also has a built in Mic and pretty customizable when it comes to features..

Link to Bose SoundLink on Amazon
    http://amzn.to/UoH8J0

or
    Big Jambox on Amazon (PICK THIS) lol
    http://amzn.to/YqZ0qr
    (Looks like the white one is $5.xx off... But i'd stay away from the white cause it get's dirty real fast. Get the Black or Red)

17. setty7 thread starter macrumors member

18. dwa2011 macrumors regular

dwa2011

I have used my Braven 625s for a year and I think it is great. It is all the sound I need. I listen to it when I shower every morning and other places whenever I need it.

I got a link for you to read more about it but if you want to buy it for $99, I think they sell it over at theclymb DM me for an invite to the website and I can hook you up.