Bluetooth mouse - buying tips?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Clayne, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Clayne macrumors 6502

Right now I'm looking at three different kinds.

Logitech v470
    Razer Pro|Click Mobile
    and
    MS notebook mouse 5000

Im looking for
    -precision for light FPS gaming
    -customizable button for expose
    -overall reliable mouse

I'm also interested in
    -rechargeability
    -battery level indicator
    -forward and back functions

BUT as far as I know, there's nothing that fits all of that.

What are ya'lls opinions?

I'm thinking the Razer, because it will be the best for gaming (dpi rate, and company rep). It also seems pretty reliable. I figure the scroll wheel button will be enough (although i'd prefer more buttons) for expose.

Then I could just recharge the batteries, suck up the fact that there's no indicator, and figure out mouse gestures for a forward and back function (this exists, right?).

What do ya'll think? Is there another bt mouse out there that'll be better?
    Anything bad about the razer that I don't know about?

2. Clayne thread starter macrumors 6502

Also, anyone try the Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 8000?

3. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Yes, I have it. I don't normally use a mouse with my MacBook, but when gaming, I use the Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 8000. It's really good, I think. But do realize that it's a lot bigger than the three mice you mentioned in your original post.

4. Clayne thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I plan on using my trackpad when I'm not at home, and a mouse when I am. So maybe that's a good plan for me?

Ok, I know it's not bluetooth, but I'm now also looking at the Logitech G7.

Of course, the MX rev LOOKS nice, but I don't know.

I'm going to say that I'm officially lost. Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks ahead of time.

5. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

The MX Rev is nice but when I had one the drivers were all messed up for Mac.

6. YMark macrumors 6502a

YMark

The Microsoft 5000 mouse is junk. Disconnects at random and on occasion you have to rediscover it.

7. Clayne thread starter macrumors 6502

Okay, so putting everything I've said aside...

What's everyone's opinion? Is it worth getting bluetooth, or just sticking with the dongle-laden wireless mice? And which mouse of your preferred category would you choose, or suggest?

Thanks,
    Clayne

8. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

I prefer bluetooth; I have a MM at home and the 470 in my bag. The 470 is great (not sure about gaming, works fine with enigmo but thats not very demanding lol) and gets surprisingly good battery life even though it is not rechargeable.

9. z28z34waw macrumors newbie

i second on the v470. I bought one last february and my low battery indicator just came on last week.... and im still using the same batteries tonight. I've never replaced them! I haven't had the mouse disconnect at all unless I wanted it too. I liked it so much i bought my brother one for his new macbook for christmas, definitely be my pick for a all around mobile mouse. I use it on my SimCity 4 and Spore alot.

10. MST macrumors 6502

MST

I third on the v470. I got mine for Christmas last year to use with my MacBook, shortly afterwards I bought an iMac and in the absence of another BT mouse I began using my v470 with it. Considering that Logitech bill the v470 as a "travel mouse" it works remarkably well with my desktop system, though I don't know quite how suited it would be to hardcore FPS gaming.

What I do know is that since receiving it I've never looked back!

11. akbc macrumors 6502

RadTech BT600

I've ordered BT600 two days ago after doing like a month-long research.

http://www.radtech.us/Products/BT600.aspx

I too was looking for couple of things:

1) precision (I play FPS such as CoD and a couple of others on bootcamp)

2) bluetooth (I hate to lose an USB port. Specially when my MBP is lacking already)

3) ease of recharging (Since I HATE batteries and carrying around batteries)

4) native OS X support (well, for overall usage and programming the buttons)

5) overall good mouse with lots of flexibility in size, and number of buttons.

And then I found RadTech BT600. Read some reviews on them, and it just seemed like it'll work for me.
    It did all the things I was looking for.

They also have BT100, BT500, BT550 that'll suit your needs, but BT600 is their flagship and their full-feature mouse.

But for a full-feature mouse, and a full-size mouse, the reviews find it pretty mid-sized for a full-featured 5 button mouse.

Also, I thought the black/silver colour would go well with my MBP. And they also have it in white :)

When it comes to precision, the new BT600 uses 1600dpi laser technology. (or something close to that)
    (All the reviews on BT600 says it's optical and only 800dpi, but radtech just updated their product line-up and their website says it's laser now)

And it's bluetooth, got lots of buttons, and it charges through USB when you need it. And during the charging time, you can still use it!

I thought it'd be a perfect mouse for me :)

I've ordered mine after doing the research, and I also found this 15% off coupon on google.

RTPROMO1

Use it to get 15% off on all orders except sale items :)

Good luck with your mouse hunt :D

(wow, I sound like a RadTech sales rep or something... but I'm not :()

By the way, the scroll wheel serves as a battery indicator XD

12. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I'd get an Apple Mighty Mouse. Looks nice, not a crapload of buttons and works great. Don't listen to the people that moan and groan about them on these forums. There are more people that haven't had problems with it, myself included, that don't bother to post on the forums. Also, there are no drivers to worry about and every Mac shipped in the last 5 years has Bluetooth. No USN dongle receiver thingy either.

13. The Samurai macrumors 68000

The Samurai

I've got a Logitech VX Revolution and don't regret it one bit.

14. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I just reserved a Logitech VX Nano for £24.35 form pc world, will pick it up tomorrow. Mighty mouse is ok, but not the best for gaming.

15. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

I had a wireless Mighty Mouse some time ago. Dropped it once, and it broke like nothing else I've seen. Will never buy it again.

16. ercanbas macrumors regular

I just picked up the MS mouse and use it on my Macbook Air. I can tell you it's the finest mouse I have ever owned. It worked great on fps and strategy games if you're into it. Totally recommend it.

17. DELTAsnake macrumors 6502

DELTAsnake

I have a question. I have a Microsoft/Razar Habu gaming mouse. It's got ajustable DPI and forward and back buttons. Since Habu hasn't made OSX drivers for it will it's DPI settings and foreward and back buttons work in OSX? And for that matter will it work at all?

18. callsignAPOLLO macrumors newbie

if you're a gamer DO NOT GET A MIGHTY MOUSE also if you really care about ergonomic design don't get one!

honestly i've used apple mice for years and they're really not meant for human beings

razer makes good mice

19. dvince2 macrumors 6502

dvince2

hahahahahha
    I know. I find when I use my apple mouse, i just "put my hand on it" it, as opposed to actually "hold" it.

20. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I have used the Logitech V470 for the last year and so and it's a great mouse. Works very well; put a lithium battery in there and I haven't needed to replace the batteries yet.

21. aedraste macrumors member

I own the MS 5000, too, and I love it. I am sorry to hear that YMark has had problems with disconnects and whatnot. I really haven't had any problem whatsoever. I haven't had to rediscover it since I purchased it three months ago, and I've used a number of other Bluetooth devices since.

22. Santa Rosa macrumors 65816

Santa Rosa

I love my Mighty Mouse, but a lot of people seem to hate them!! Using it for gaming, not a clue!! :D

23. linsam macrumors 6502

linsam

Logitech VX Nano

This is a great mouse with the most amazing scroll wheel.

24. yrael macrumors newbie

I personally like the Razer the best, from the fact that the design looks super nice. Mostly, though, it just feels good to hold. :\ I've got small hands, so I might be different, but the sensitivity is exactly what I look for in gaming.

I like it for the fact that it feels like a solid nice mouse, and not some flimsy plastic thing that's just asking to be broken.

25. cdcastillo macrumors 6502a

cdcastillo

I also vote for the v470. It seems to fit all your needs. It's a great mouse