Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skp574

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2005
greenwich.london.uk
Something worth mentioning about the BT Apple Mouse

I have a BT Apple Mouse and don't have a major problem with it.

One thing I found which took a little time getting used to is that although it is only a single button mouse it doesn't have a button. It's difficult to explain, but the whole mouse is a button. Confused?

I have a habit (back from good ol' roller ball mouse days), where I'd pick the mouse up and flick it, to move the pointer across the screen without dragging my hand accross the mouse pad. I do this primarily for drawing. I have the tracking speed set to low, for fine control. Then flick the mouse to move quickly around the screen or pick up the mouse when I've reached the edge of the mouse pad.

You can't do that with the Apple mouse, because as soon as you pick it up, you have released the mouse button. So dragging doesn't work this way for me. Especially if your are dragging something from one side of the screen to the other.

Just thought I'd mention it.

armandocerna

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2004
Chico, CA
There are two little half circle pieces on the left and right side of the mouse I belive they are white. You are supposed to hold them with your thumb and ring finger so that when you pickup the mouse you can still click it at the same time.

abrooks

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
London, UK
armandocerna said:
There are two little half circle pieces on the left and right side of the mouse I belive they are white. You are supposed to hold them with your thumb and ring finger so that when you pickup the mouse you can still click it at the same time.

That is correct, hold the semi circles at the sides to sustain a click.

Nickygoat

macrumors 6502a
Dec 11, 2004
London
I'll vote for the Apple mouse as well. There was a thread ages ago on how to pick up the mouse whlist clicking - it seemed that it was all the UK members who could do it :D j/k

skp574

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2005
greenwich.london.uk
armandocerna said:

Yes, I stand corrected. I found that out the other night! Whey hey, I can flick my mouse like the good ol' days! :p

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
The BTMicro posted above seems pretty cool if that's a 5 button mouse. You have the left and right click, scroll-wheel click, and what looks like 2 buttons on the left and right side of the mouse.

Of course, it could be just the design. Also, its too small.

I recommend NOT getting a BT mouse at all. Personally, I don't see anything that suits me. The Logitech MX900 is huge. Many of the others are super tiny. Apple's is one-button. MacMice's The Mouse BT supposedly feels cheap and skips. I want a regular-sized, two/multi-buttoned mouse that isn't big, but not small. The Mouse BT is the closest one to ideal thus far, but I didn't want to spend lots of $$$ for a mouse that feels cheap and is difficult to press the buttons.

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
I had been using the Apple BT mouse for a few months, and it worked beautifully...for a one button mouse. It didn't use to bother me, but my mouse at work gave up the ghost and was replaced by a Macally two-button w/scroll mouse. Alas, I am addicted.
So, after looking around for a good BT mouse for my PB, I recently purchased the Radtech BT500 mouse. It is a wee bit smaller that I'd like, but not uncomfortably so. I am quickly coming to appreciate the small size, since it stows away much easier in my backpack. Functionally, it works flawlessly. Highly recommend this one if you need a good BT mouse for your mobile set up.

2Sticky

macrumors regular
Mar 4, 2005
UK
The BT apple mouse is good, i seem to have problems with it eating up batteries though, not usre why its only me that has this problem!

For a review on the BT mouse check read Here

TiaMaster

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2005
The "Mouse BT" from DVforge (MacMice) is literally the worst mouse I've ever laid hands on, and this is not just my opinion, but also the opinion of 2 of my friends and tons of folks on forums. It hasn't been out long enough for the word to get out, so let me start here.

Pick it up and shake it, and it sounds like its coming apart in your hands. Even just picking it up to move the cursor a long way makes the bottom of the mouse drop down and almost come out of your hand. There is no way to hold on to the bottom with your fingertips to stop this from happening, either.
It also has TERRIBLE Bluetooth response. It was truthfully UNCONTROLABLE on screen, so I had to go back to my last mouse immediately.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
MX 1000, Microsoft InteliMouse Explore, Logitech Cordless Mouse for Notebook

Logitech MX1000 Laser mouse for my 15" Al PB works flawlessly with mutliple bottons for easy navigation. No noticeable lag so far with this mouse. MS InteliMouse Exlore for my 15" Ti PB works well but it is a little more finicky compared to MX 1000. I sometimess reset the connection for better response (but resetting does not happen that often). Logitech Cordless Mouse for Notebook for my 12" Al PB works well without intalling the software from Logitech. There are only two bottons and scrool for this so there is no point installing Logitech software as Apple OS X can recognize tis mouse without a hitch. Logitech cordless mouse (a black one) is a very generic looking mouse and I used it for my HP Pavilion ZT 1180.

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2005
Can't we all get along?

So can't we all agree on "The ONE" bluetooth mouse? This Apple Wireless Mouse looks nice but is too slow (are all Bluetooth slow?) and 1-Button'ed. :rolleyes: Am I gonna have to shell out a $99 for the Logitech MX900? Is that what you guys are saying? :confused:

ilsie

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2004
I have both the Logitech MX900 and the tiny IOGear BT mouse. I have a 12" Albook.

Logitech MX900
Pros:
Lots of buttons
Nice size and weight

Cons:
tracking is a little bit choppy
No on/off switch (This is really annoying)
Must have the cradle to recharge batteries

IOGear
Pros:
Fits great in any laptop bag
on/off switch
tracking is very smooth
rechargeable thru USB

Cons:
very small (This isnt necessarily bad for some people)
not a whole lot of buttons

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
For me the biggest grib i have with bluetooth mice is that most come and need the charging thing. It looks annoying to have that on the desk. also I want a too button mouse with a scroll wheel I found to that i'm interested in but i can't find a place to buy it/look at it. I like this one and the mini version

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
Just get a Logitech MX1000. Greatest mouse ever. Got a on/off switch. Who cares if it's not Bluetooth? The other (good) Bluetooth mouses require a cradle and stuff anyway, so that just kills the purpose of having a Bluetooth mouse. And the tracking with wireless RF feels absolutely no different from USB. It even responds immediately when you get back to the desk and start moving it. No delays at all. And worrying about batteries for a mouse isn't worth it for me - the cradle is much better. You just put it in there when you go to sleep. And even if you forget for a few nights, it'll be no problem - my MX1000 started with two bars of battery life on Wednesday, and was still kicking yesterday with one bar left. Basically it can go a week without recharging.

AND what's more? It's CHEAPER than the MX900!

There's seriously no pros to having a Bluetooth mouse in my opinion. The only pro is that you can say "ooo I have a Bluetooth mouse!!!1" like it's all cool and blue-y and toothy. :rolleyes:

kesroberts

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2004
I tried the Macmice BT, the Bluetake BT 500, and the Locgtech BT mouse and ended up just going back to the apple wireless mouse. It's the only one that didn't have problems. 2nd place is the Bluetake - it tracked well but was just too small.

I would still prefer a 2 button mouse, but the performance of the apple wireless was just so much better that I've compromised on that.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
If Apple comes out with a wheelified, two-buttonified Bluetooth mouse, that'll most likely be the shining exception to my "Bluetooth mice = teh suck" rule. I would buy one :)

swindmill

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2005
KY
Macally Jr.

i use the Macally BTMouseJr. and like it very much. It works as well as any mouse I've owned (first BT) and the aesthetics are appealing to me in that it has a very simple, plain look. The color, while plastic matches very well with the powerbook. I haven't had it long enough to comment on the battery life, however.

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2005
Raven VII said:
There's seriously no pros to having a Bluetooth mouse in my opinion. The only pro is that you can say "ooo I have a Bluetooth mouse!!!1" like it's all cool and blue-y and toothy. :rolleyes:

Here's the main pro to having a bluetooth mouse. You dont need wires, and you dont need cradles (If you have a Powerbook such as myself). I dont want wires on my desk at home, and when I bring my powerbook to school i dont want to have to set up my cradle just to use a friggin' mouse.

What? Am i gonna stop by the local cafe and pull out a cradel everytime I wanna use my powerbook? Cradels dont pick up chicks. Efficient Desk Space picks up chicks.

My question to anyone that knows is: Is there a usb-precise bluetooth mouse that wont lag like my apple wireless mouse, and has more than one button? Tell me what it is and i'll buy it, but hurry 'cause the cafe is almost closed.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
SAdProZ said:
Here's the main pro to having a bluetooth mouse. You dont need wires, and you dont need cradles (If you have a Powerbook such as myself). I dont want wires on my desk at home, and when I bring my powerbook to school i dont want to have to set up my cradle just to use a friggin' mouse.

What? Am i gonna stop by the local cafe and pull out a cradel everytime I wanna use my powerbook? Cradels dont pick up chicks. Efficient Desk Space picks up chicks.

My question to anyone that knows is: Is there a usb-precise bluetooth mouse that wont lag like my apple wireless mouse, and has more than one button? Tell me what it is and i'll buy it, but hurry 'cause the cafe is almost closed.

There ain't one, my friend. The Apple mouse is as good as it comes as far as Bluetooth is concerned.

Cancelled
Mar 19, 2005
Raven VII said:
There ain't one, my friend. The Apple mouse is as good as it comes as far as Bluetooth is concerned.

Ok ok, Raven, you have convinced me half way. An MX1000 for my desk top, and I'll keep the apple bluetooth for the ladies at the cafe.

TiaMaster

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2005
SAdProZ said:
So can't we all agree on "The ONE" bluetooth mouse? This Apple Wireless Mouse looks nice but is too slow (are all Bluetooth slow?) and 1-Button'ed. :rolleyes: Am I gonna have to shell out a $99 for the Logitech MX900? Is that what you guys are saying? :confused:

The only acceptable Bluetooth mouse in terms of performance is the Apple mouse. There is simply not enough people that thinks it has lag (consider: forums represent less than 1% of users, and theres not even many people in the forums who say its laggy). Check out all the other BT mice, and they all fall short. Unfortunately, having tried them all, I was forced to be cradlized. This turned out to be not a bad thing, since the Logitech MX1000 Laser mouse is the best mouse I've ever used, thank God.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.