Bluetooth stuff for iPod touch (2nd gen) on 3.0 firmware

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by godfreyhk, Jun 9, 2009.

1. godfreyhk macrumors member

Just upgraded my iPod to the 3.0 GM firmware. Found some bluetooth-related stuff...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. DHarrisDBS34 macrumors regular

What is there to gain from wirelessly syncing your Touch and laptop with Bluetooth? I know with my enV I can transfer media. I wonder if you'll be able to the same with the Touch.

3. Dino451 macrumors 6502

looks like he is just showing that the Blue tooth works.

4. godfreyhk thread starter macrumors member

You are correct. In fact, the only thing I can actually do is to pair it up with my computer and get a list of service. That said, I think the fact that we now have a BT service menu in Settings.app is quite interesting. Maybe we'll be able to pair it up with other phones and (finally) send contacts, or even files in the future? Also, the list of service is quite interesting too - AVRCP (remote control - control your TVs etc?), Audio source (i.e. AD2P?) and wireless iAP (intelligent access point according to google... probably not very useful for an iPod, though). I still need to dig a bit deeper to see what I can actually do with this.

5. who? macrumors member

I've been using A2DP since version one of the beta 3.0 firmware, this is old hat. The bluetooth menu has been there for months, and I have since set up my iHome Bluetooth speaker, my Soyo Bluetooth headphones, and my computer with my iPod. You can only pause and play with my hardware, but full controls have been reported to work on some devices (volume, of course, is native and can always be adjusted on A2DP devices). Just last night I left my iPod connected and my speaker started the music on it to wake me up, it works great! :D

6. mynameisraj macrumors 6502

At the moment it is possible (I believe) to pair your iPod touch with a stereo bluetooth headset.

I haven't tried it though…

7. tizzo macrumors newbie

I'd be interested to see if I can tether it to my phone.

8. sebast1anc macrumors member

I just attempted to pair my iPod touch with my LG EnV2, and both devices were able to discover each other, but fail to connect.

The iPod touch has a headset icon next to it on the phone, and the services listed are AV Remote Control Target, Audio Source, and Service Discovery Server. I imagine developers would theoretically be able to create an app that could turn the iPod touch into a bluetooth headset?

9. DHarrisDBS34 macrumors regular

I'm looking forward to the P2P gamin most of all.

10. jhsfosho macrumors 6502

Wouldn't wifi syncing and p2p games through wifi be better than with bluetooth? because its faster?

11. Sdevante macrumors 6502

If it is possible to pair the ipod to a bluetooth headset, does that mean it will also be possible to pair the ipod to a bluetooth receiver in a car stereo?

That'll well be worth $10 if I can do away with a minijack plugin.

12. DHarrisDBS34 macrumors regular

I wonder if you could pair it with a bluetooth earpiece and use it with Skype.

13. godfreyhk thread starter macrumors member

14. jedisaga macrumors 6502

jedisaga

This is my question as well. If we are able to use a bluetooth earphone with the ipod touch, that would be VERY cool. It would make apps like skype and even truphone more viable...

jedisaga

15. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

can you transfer screenshots to the computer over bluetooth?

16. wakka092 macrumors 6502

wakka092

No. The iPhone/iPod Touch don't support that Bluetooth profile.

17. dannys95 macrumors member

Is there a way to use your MacBook as speakers for your iPod over bluetooth?

18. DHarrisDBS34 macrumors regular

Doesn't your laptop have all the music your iPod does?

19. dannys95 macrumors member

Yeah but I want to use my MBP as speakers (i.e for games and such).

20. Paulyboy macrumors 6502

How about using the iPod Touch 2G, with earphones plugged in, as speakers for your Mac via Bluetooth? Is that possible?

-PN

21. Jongewehr macrumors 6502

my ipod cant see any phones or headsets or mac

22. Sdevante macrumors 6502

My iPod synced right up to the bluetooth on my cd receiver in my car and it is so tits to have my music playing with no wires whatsoever; can even walk away from the car and its still going.

Had to put both the iPod and the cd receiver in pairing mode so they could see each other. Maybe that's obvious; maybe somebody overlooked that, so I offer that.

23. MySaturdaySelf macrumors member

try the pairing with win7, can connect to device but can't install correct driver for ipod.. so no use at the moment.

24. Beluga macrumors newbie

Mono Headset

Anyone know whether the iPod 2nd Gen with 3.0 firmware will sync with a mono Bluetooth headset (Jawbone in my case). I can't get it to happen, but I don't know if I'm doing something wrong. If not, what are the recommended headsets?

Any thoughts/advice is appreciated.

25. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Man if I could hook my iPod up to iTunes via Bluetooth that would be cool. Might eliminate some of the hassles.