Blurry Images Allegedly Depict A11 Processor Set to Power 'iPhone 8'

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 18, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Images purporting to show the A11 series chip that will power the upcoming "iPhone 8" emerged online today, suggesting that Apple's processor is already making its way through iPhone assembly plants.

All iPhone models coming in the fall are expected to use the A11 chip, including the iterative "S" cycle upgrades to Apple's existing 4.7-inch and 5.5-inch iPhones. The processor relies on a new 10-nanometer FinFET manufacturing process introduced by Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company (TSMC), the sole supplier of the new chip.

[​IMG]
    Images via Slashleaks

TSMC was said to have reached the exclusive deal with Apple last year thanks to its advanced device packaging techniques, capable of higher-width memory buses and lower-power operation.

As such, the A11 processor will be faster and likely more power efficient than the current A10 found in the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus, translating to speedier overall performance and better battery life for the upcoming devices.

Apple has a major redesign in store for the iPhone 8, which will feature a glass body and edge-to-edge OLED display that does away with the Home button, and a new facial recognition system that may well replace its Touch ID fingerprint authentication.

Article Link: Blurry Images Allegedly Depict A11 Processor Set to Power 'iPhone 8'

2. Aluminum213 macrumors 68040

Aluminum213

3. chriscrk macrumors 6502a

chriscrk

The new A11 will make the new iPhone faster and less power hungry?

And it's already being produced a few weeks ahead of launch?

Interesting. Would have never expected this.

4. Sunny1990, Aug 18, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2017

Sunny1990 Suspended

Sunny1990

This chip is going to be a powerhouse, Can't wait to see A11 running into the heart of iPhone 8.

Beautiful render of iPhone 8 in blush Gold :-
    4C6DDE45-6C37-46B6-B1DC-E245188C89FB.jpeg

5. gpat macrumors 6502a

6. Avieshek Suspended

Avieshek

Wow, where did you find the image?

7. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

Wow, interested in what app they did that render!

8. Saipher macrumors demi-god

Saipher

The A11 chip is going to be a beast, specially since the new iPhone's main focus this year will be AR. I'm always amazed on how much faster the newer chips are when compared to previous versions.

9. akbarali.ch macrumors 6502a

akbarali.ch

TBO, copper gold sounds lot better.

10. anthorumor macrumors 6502a

Must be legit - it's snapped by a potato, albeit a good one at that.

11. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

And plain old copper sounds even better.
    There's nothing at all gold about that color.

12. archvile macrumors 6502

archvile

So, what's going to be in the 7S version then? A lower-clocked version of the A11? the A10X?

13. BruceEBonus macrumors 65816

BruceEBonus

If it ain't blurry it ain't real.

Its blurry. So. It's real.

And get this. It's going to have a model number one higher than last year. And. No. Come on bear with me here. It'll be faster than last year's too. And more power efficient. Beat that. But here's the best bit - if you cut and past this 'rumour' in two years time but change A11 to A12 then it'll still be relevant. And you won't have to bother reading it. You could use the same time learning how to pronounce Rolled Gold instead of Old Gold. Or Face Grey instead of Space Grey. It's the same things rejigged. And so all that needs to be done is to get you down that phone shop. Mmmmmm. Fool's Gold you say? Hmmmm. Shiny. Twice as fast you say? Ahhh. Yes. Texts do seem snappier. I can't believe people are still using the clunky old A10 chip now. It's so last month. Right. Now. I want no arguments. Here take my credit card. And just give it me back when it's paid for. Just wait til my 'friend's find out my new iPhone has got the snazzy new A11 bad boy in it. How will they know? Don't worry about that. I'll make sure they do within 5 minutes of arrival. ;)

14. lunarworks macrumors 65816

*Photoshops a 1 over the 0 on an A10 chip

"Look! The new chip!"

15. justperry macrumors G3

justperry

A10½:cool:

16. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

iPad Pro's A10X gets 3882 single and 9195 multi in geek bench.

The A11 should be slightly faster than that, which would be insane for a phone.

17. mazz0 macrumors 68000

mazz0

Damn, that is niiice!

I'm considering pink for the first time this if it looks like that (I love copper), but I'd need to see it first, and I want to order ASAP.

Can you order in one colour and return it for one in a different colour if you don't like it? What if you're on the iPhone upgrade programme?

18. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

Apple never lags behind with old CPUs for the iPhone and they sell a lot of iPhones. I wonder if this would help Apple sell more Macs if they didn't try to sell Macs with older components?

19. ValO macrumors 68000

I don' t like that brownish color for blush gold, i hope the final product is a little more orange/gold like the copper color from nokia.

20. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I think the A11 chip will be a significant increase over the A10 in terms of power. Geekbench Scores usually arrive about week or so after the initial launch. Should be interesting to see.

21. Appurushido macrumors regular

Just like YouTube with its vertical viral videos, if a leak photo isn't blurry, it's not real.

22. garylapointe macrumors 65816

garylapointe

Exactly, like they are surprised they are being manufactured now.

Although, ignoring the rumors, the phone launch hasn't been announced yet...

23. mabhatter macrumors 6502a

Mr. BlurryCam has been on vacation too long.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 18, 2017 ---
    Plot twist. Apple has so much money Tim's decided we don't get an iPhone this year.. we peeked at our presents too many times and Grandpa Tim is taking them back.

24. ForumChick macrumors regular

ForumChick

25. hank moody macrumors 6502a

hank moody