BMW Plans to Turn CarPlay Into Subscription-Based Service Next Year

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 17, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

BMW plans to offer CarPlay as a subscription-based service beginning next year, rather than charge a one-time fee, reports The Verge.

[​IMG]

The automaker will charge $80 per year for access to CarPlay starting next year, with no fee during the first year of ownership of a new BMW, according to Don Smith, technology product manager for BMW North America.

BMW currently charges a $300 upgrade fee to drivers who want CarPlay, available in its 2017 model year and newer vehicles.

Smith believes switching to a subscription-based pricing system will provide BMW owners with more flexibility. "This allows the customer to switch devices," he said, while mentioning Android as a specific example.

BMW doesn't currently support Android Auto, although Smith said Google Assistant is coming to new BMW models later in 2018.

Smith also argued that the annual fee could actually work out to be cheaper for somebody with an average length lease, as the total cost after four years after the free first year of access would be $240, cheaper than the one-time $300 charge.

Of course, those who don't trade in their BMW once every four years can expect the CarPlay subscription fees to add up significantly over the long term. All the while, many other automakers now offer CarPlay as a standard feature.

BMW may ultimately decide against this idea if it receives enough negative feedback from customers, but we'll have to wait and see.

Article Link: BMW Plans to Turn CarPlay Into Subscription-Based Service Next Year

2. sputnikv macrumors 6502

sputnikv

3. Cougarcat macrumors 604

What a joke. Apple should explicitly forbid this in its licensing terms.

4. Chaginxin macrumors newbie

All I can say is WTF?

and a $300 upgrade on a 30k+ car...one more reason not to buy a BMW...

5. dannys1 macrumors 68020

dannys1

6. Wildkraut macrumors 6502a

Wildkraut

Lol was just thinking about buying a BMW 140i M line... maybe done...

7. 0815 macrumors 68000

Guess I won't be looking at a BMW when I shop for a new car next year ...

I won't pay for a CarPlay subscription same way as I don't pay for a Satellite radio subscription. While I don't need Satellite Radio, I don't care if it is offered as subscription or not ... however, CarPlay is something I *want* but I am not willing to pay monthly for it - so as long a there are other options, I will choose those.

Not sure if they is also true for BMW, but I think it is a joke that with many car manufactures you can get CarPlay only if you also take the Navigation System ... For me, AppleMaps works great, so I won't need the Navigation System and don't want to pay extra for that either.

8. Pirate! macrumors member

Free hardware/software upgrades with subscription? Just stop in...

9. Applebot1 macrumors 6502a

10. atrisk macrumors newbie

Next it will costs 29.99 for each bag you want to put in your trunk for a trip more than 25 miles.

11. tkukoc macrumors 65816

tkukoc

12. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

Man, why didn't they think of this sooner? Why can't I pay BMW for my FM radio subscription already? I can't believe they give us that for free!

13. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

14. RobNYC macrumors 6502

I suppose anyone buying a new BMW probably isn't looking to save money on upgrades.

15. erinsarah macrumors 6502

As an owner of a 2017 Mazda that has been (mostly) patiently waiting on Mazda to finally get their back bumpers in gear with AirPlay, I do hope that BMW's plan is not an oncoming trend in the industry and that Mazda isn't looking into doing this as well.

I also wonder if this is for new cars only, or if somehow magically they are going to update existing cars with this.

16. H3LL5P4WN macrumors 68000

H3LL5P4WN

Another reason not to buy foreign garbage cars.

And the sheep who think eurotrash is great will eat this up.

17. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Or, they could just not charge extra for allowing you to plug in your own device with your own USB to run a 3rd party's software.

18. ItalMac macrumors newbie

The stupidest idea ever !! Not even Apple is charging us for updates !!! Is absurd !! I don’t understand why the car companies don’t understand that they need to offer the best on service when you are behind the wheel.

19. centauratlas, Jan 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2018

centauratlas macrumors 65816

centauratlas

What a stupid idea. We got a Ford Flex in March of 2016 (I had to upgrade the bus with a new USB controller, but that wasn't hard) and a Mercedes GLS-450 in Nov 2016 - many cars were eliminated due to a lack of CarPlay. I did test drive the slightly smaller BMW SUV. It was a nice enough car, but didn't compare to the GLS. (And the salesman drove like an idiot before I got to drive.)

If it was a subscription CarPlay though, it would have been enough to say "Sorry, BMW."

Edit:
    Not to mention their math is wrong: Pay $300 once. Or, "Over the course of a 3 or 4 year lease, it would still work out to less money than the option is now." Let's see:

4 year lease, minus 1st year free = 3 years.
    3 years * $80/year = $320.

Is $320 less than $300? No. (Of course the time value of money isn't counted).

And we have had the last cars 6-7 years or 100k miles, whichever came first.

Idi.

20. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 65816

How incredibly greedy can these 'old' car manufacturers get? That's repulsive.
    CarPlay is standard on Audi from 2016. Heck, it's even standard on the new Ford Fiesta's and only £100 on a Fiat 500.
    Apple MUST put a stop to this. BMW really do not seem committed to CarPlay. The MINI hasn't even got it as an option until the new facelift one in March. A friend of mine is a sale exec at BMW and he always looks blank when I ask him about CarPlay.
    A real shame as for me, it would be a must have if I was to buy a car - electric of course :)

21. cmaier macrumors G5

I doubt apple will allow this. Either way, I won’t be buying any more bmw’s. Our X5 sucks.

22. nikicampos macrumors 6502a

What's next?

Do you want ABS, pay $10 month.
    Want access to your trunk, unlimited for $10 a month or $1 every time you open it.

The whole subscription base thing is getting out of hand!!!

23. tardegrade macrumors regular

tardegrade

BMW's bean counters certainly have a sense of humour! I love the justification for this. As if running CarPlay and Android Auto together was somehow unconscionable without charging for it.

24. likegadgets macrumors 6502

On the other hand, my car has it. The lease included the $300 (minus residual). If 1st year had been free, I would not renew for 2nd year. The BMW interface is superior to the Apple CarPlay and I don’t use the CarPlay at all

25. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

This is great. I always do 3 year leases on my BMW's, I just paid $300 up front for carplay on my wife's X3.... under this new method I will only pay $160 for 2 years if you include the first year free. Alot fairer for leasers.... Buyers might get screwed over though.