Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dros

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2003
Originally posted by Dont Hurt Me
[Bsorry when someone does an act like this they forfit their life. make room in jail for others that you want to support. Im not talking about people who maybe innocent im talking about the ones that are 100% predator killers and we have all the evidence. The criminal justice system is a failure and we hear about it all the time. How many murders do you have to have before we do something? Im sure this person will be back on the street in about 20-30 years maybe he will be living near you. [/B]

How many killers are you 100% certain did it? I would say maybe a few a year. So why talk about how much space it is going to free up. Unless you have different criteria for 100% certain. Just today they had a story about someone released from death row. They had witnesses all saying it was him, but now DNA evidence shows it was someone else. He was black, she was white, everyone just wanted someone, anyone, to pay.

How many times do they get someone on videotape? Is that enough anyway to be 100% certain?

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Originally posted by Dros
How many killers are you 100% certain did it? I would say maybe a few a year. So why talk about how much space it is going to free up. Unless you have different criteria for 100% certain. Just today they had a story about someone released from death row. They had witnesses all saying it was him, but now DNA evidence shows it was someone else. He was black, she was white, everyone just wanted someone, anyone, to pay.

How many times do they get someone on videotape? Is that enough anyway to be 100% certain?

Now in the 21st we have DNA & forensics, that we can be almost 100% sure of guilt or innocence. Being sure is so much easier today.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Dna, film,video tape multiple credible witnesses. sure we have a few people that are innocent in jail. but when you have dna and admission or whatever you still want to support these guys? we are way to easy on killers. this same guy had a record a mile long and had tried this in the past. The so called justice system has failed again. its a joke and O.J. showed that. but it does employ a lot of people. we have gotton so off track on killers rights we forget the innocent victims,their families and society as a whole. one thing is for certain and that is if you get rid of these animals they wont be able to do it again. 100% guaranteed.

Dros

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2003
Dna, film,video tape multiple credible witnesses. sure we have a few people that are innocent in jail. but when you have dna and admission or whatever you still want to support these guys?

Multiple credible witnesses? They just released a guy convicted based on that. Admission of guilt? People do weird things under extreme pressure, like confess to things they didn't do. There are tons of examples of "confessions" leading to a conviction and then other evidence showing they were innocent. Many times the accused is retarded or very slow. They don't know what is going on.

DNA evidence is better. But only a few cases actually provide good DNA evidence. And the forensic labs that evaluate that evidence are usually poorly staffed and make mistakes all the time.

So it is easy to glibly say, "when we know for sure, let them fry". The thought of the State taking away someone's life by mistake gives me chills. It has happened, for sure. I don't think a "revenge killing" as punishment is worth that possibility.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
your on the wrong side , you are in effect saying keep these murderers alive, support them for 70-100 years or however long they live in jail or you are saying let these bastards back out. everyone of these views is wrong and doesnt make society safer. get rid of them and they can not ever hurt another little girl. Jails are full of these predators and you and i are paying for it.

vwcruisn

macrumors regular
May 7, 2003
Santa Monica, Ca
your on the wrong side , you are in effect saying keep these murderers alive, support them for 70-100 years or however long they live in jail or you are saying let these bastards back out. everyone of these views is wrong and doesnt make society safer. get rid of them and they can not ever hurt another little girl. Jails are full of these predators and you and i are paying for it.

how dare you tell me what side is "right" and what side is "wrong." you are the one contradicting yourself. Talking about "animals" and "mosters" (been watching a little too much fox news lately?) killing people and how it needs to be stopped, when your only solution is the same problem, killing some more. I am not saying your views are "wrong," I simply don't agree and think you are commiting hypocracy and are very irrational. Please dont tell me or anyone else their views are WRONG simply because you don't agree with them. Try to have an open mind, I know thats hard to ask of someone with such a hardcore conservative mentality, but just try.

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Ok vw cruisin you sound as if you dont have children, do you? I do. you want these people back on the street? How Dare you defend these known killers, How Dare you ignore that our children are allways in the news because of these Predators. How Dare you ignoring the fact that we now have to have Amber Alerts because of a failed system. you should examine your own philosophy and figure out if you want to protect our children or you want protect monsters. How dare you! :mad:

vwcruisn

macrumors regular
May 7, 2003
Santa Monica, Ca
Ok vw cruisin you sound as if you dont have children, do you? I do you. want these people back on the street? How Dare you defend these known killers, How Dare you ignore that our children are allways in the news because of these Predators. How Dare you ignoring the fact that we now have to have Amber Alerts because of a failed system. you should examine your own philosophy and figure out if you want to protect our children or you want protect monsters. How dare you! :mad:

i just looked over my posts and cant find where i said "send the convicted killers out on the street." please point me to that or quote me so I can post a correction.

Anyway, asside from putting words into my mouth, you are entirely missing the point. Killing a convicted killer will not stop these crimes. Think about it, the death penalty has been around forever and yes, people are executed by our government everyday. So according to you, this should have stopped long ago. So why are people still being murdered?

vwcruisn

macrumors regular
May 7, 2003
Santa Monica, Ca
also, since you think executing someone will help
society so greatly, please post a link to ANY data showing that the death penalty actually helps REDUCE crime. thanks.

Dros

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2003

You are correct. I am saying we should keep prisoners in prison. The bad side of that view is that taxpayers pay to keep sickos alive. I'll agree that is true. The good side of that view is that innocent people won't be slaughtered by the state. Can you accept that there is some truth to that statement? We can disagree how many innocent people are convicted a year, or how much we should value that innocent life.

I'm not saying keeping killers in prison is a perfect thing. It isn't even a good thing. But since when was freedom cheap, or justice easy? Killing someone won't make a child come alive. Not letting someone out of prison will protect society as much as killing them.

vwcruisn

macrumors regular
May 7, 2003
Santa Monica, Ca
Originally posted by Dros
You are correct. I am saying we should keep prisoners in prison. The bad side of that view is that taxpayers pay to keep sickos alive. I'll agree that is true. The good side of that view is that innocent people won't be slaughtered by the state. Can you accept that there is some truth to that statement? We can disagree how many innocent people are convicted a year, or how much we should value that innocent life.

I'm not saying keeping killers in prison is a perfect thing. It isn't even a good thing. But since when was freedom cheap, or justice easy? Killing someone won't make a child come alive. Not letting someone out of prison will protect society as much as killing them.

well said, i agree with you completely. as i said before when i was "spinning this thread" and talking about war, its funny how the same people who in reaction to the cost of the war stated freedom is not cheap, are the same people complaining about the cost of execution. Apparently making sure that someone is guilty, and not imprisoning or executing an innocent person is not really worth the cost, but "freeing the iraqis" is worth 35,000+ times that cost.

kiwi_the_iwik

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2001
London, UK
You see, I'm NOT an advocate for the death penalty. Inevitably, the State will get it wrong, and innocent people will die. If that's the price of freedom, then I think it's too expensive.

And as for those out there who say that Capital Punishment is a DETERRANT...

Well - bollix. The national crime figures for the United States still remain high - and there is no real descernable difference between those States who CARRY the death penalty and those who do not. In fact, since the death penalty was reinstated into the American justice system in the mid-70's, there has been little change in the rates of homicide. Actually, it went UP over the '90's, before returning to the level it was when the Capital Punishment Bill was implemented.

Courtesy: Dept. of Justice figures

The fact remains - you take a life away, you're just as bad as those who committed the crime in the first place. There are a LOT better ways of making people suffer than executing them - so let your imagination run riot.

I'm thinking George Orwell's 1984 - everyone has their own Room 101...

PalmHarborTchr

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2003
Florida
Death of the girl is at Jeb BUSH's door

The judge who sentenced this guy never
saw him when the Probation Officer
violated his probation. The P.O. failed
to issue an affidavit required for
a violation of probation. When I started
as a PO we had a case load of 75 men
now the PO has 250 and there is not
time to do the job properly. Jeb refuses
to hire sufficant no. of P.O's because
he believes in govt. on the cheap
so P.O's, the states attorneys and the
judges are overwhelmed with cases.
This guy was not put on the judges
calendar so the states attorney just
signed off on this guy in December
and he was available to commit
this horrrible crime.
Jeb gave big tax cuts for the wealthy
last year and has plans to do it again
this year...thats what his true
priority is. I have been a P.O. since
1974,:mad: :mad: :mad:

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
Ok vw cruisin you sound as if you dont have children, do you? I do you. want these people back on the street? How Dare you defend these known killers, How Dare you ignore that our children are allways in the news because of these Predators. How Dare you ignoring the fact that we now have to have Amber Alerts because of a failed system. you should examine your own philosophy and figure out if you want to protect our children or you want protect monsters. How dare you! :mad:

Calm down man. Capital punishment can't be the only proper solution to a nation's crime troubles. If killing convicted killers is such a deterrent, how can Canada, a country with about 1/10 the population of the United States have 1/50 the homicide rates and yet not have capital punishment and believe in rehabilitating its criminals instead of punishing them? Personally, I would rather believe in being able to redeem fallen people than have the possibility of killing someone who's innocent.

Frohickey

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2003
PRK
Originally posted by vwcruisn
Pretty sad thats the first thing that comes to mind when talking about human lives.

I guess I'm the only one that considers someone that kidnaps, rapes and murders a 11 year old girl as NOT-human. (Pending conviction in a court of law by 12 jurors, of course.)

Frohickey

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2003
PRK
Originally posted by wdlove
If that was going to happen, it's just too bad that it didn't happen prior to the abduction and murder of this lovely, innocent, young girl from FL.

Bottom line we need to find a way to prevent this. When will the human outcry cause politicians to act.

If you are waiting for politicians to act, waiting for the sun to turn into a red giant might be a shorter wait. ;)

Revolving door justice system with lots of lawyers and money involved. Don't expect it to change. Parents, watch your kids, teach them to be vigilant, monsters are not always in the closet and under the bed.

Frohickey

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2003
PRK
Originally posted by Sayhey
I don't know if there is a cure for pedophiles and sadists like this, but maybe the answer lies in such research and longer prison sentences in the meantime - I don't know.

Cure for murderous pedophiles? Its not research and longer prison sentences.

Its oxygen deprivation and soil therapy... 6 feet under soil therapy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.