Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Chinese display maker BOE reportedly failed to deliver the first shipment of OLED panels for Apple's so-called iPhone 12, which is expected to be released later this year. According to Korea's DDaily, the failure was down to BOE's inability to pass OLED quality control tests.

BOE-China.jpg

It's unclear from the Korean-language report when the tests where carried out and whether they will have any material impact on the so-called iPhone 12's production and launch. Apple was said to be "aggressively testing" flexible OLED screens made by BOE as early as August last year.

BOE is the world's top producer of large liquid crystal screens and already makes liquid crystal displays for Apple's iPads and MacBooks, but the firm has had its sights set firmly on the expanding OLED panel market, which is growing year on year.

Despite Apple's focus on diversifying its suppliers for various components in its products, Samsung Display is still expected to provide nearly 80 percent of the OLED displays used in this year's "iPhone 12" lineup.

Samsung was the exclusive display supplier for Apple's first OLED ‌iPhone‌, the ‌iPhone‌ X back in 2017. LG came on board the following year as a second supplier, and BOE is reportedly entering Apple's supply chain for the 2020 phones as Apple goes all-OLED in its flagship lineup for the first time.

Apple plans to release four "iPhone 12" models with OLED displays in the fall, including one 5.4-inch model, two 6.1-inch models, and one 6.7-inch model, according to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. All of the devices are expected to support 5G and they may sport a new design that includes more of a flat edged metal frame like the iPad Pro or iPhone 4.

BOE has reportedly partnered with touch panel maker General Interface Solutions as both companies aim to become suppliers of the rumored 5.4-inch iPhone.

Article Link: BOE Reportedly Failed to Deliver First Shipment of OLED Panels for 'iPhone 12'

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
I'd be concerned about initially poor quality control pass rate.

This news makes you wonder if third parties like Amazon drop the price on the iPhone 11 Pro in the new year (as the Xs has been running at some really decent money off until recently) that there would be a decision to make for buyers looking at iPhone 12.

The 11 Pro uses the Samsung panel as far as I know.

EmotionalSnow

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
Linz, Austria
I'd be concerned about initially poor quality control pass rate.

This news makes you wonder if third parties like Amazon drop the price on the iPhone 11 Pro in the new year (as the Xs has been running at some really decent money off until recently) that there would be a decision to make for buyers looking at iPhone 12.

The 11 Pro uses the Samsung panel as far as I know.

11 Pro (Max) uses a Samsung (90 %) or LG (10 %) panel.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Everyone in the industry seems to agree Samsung currently makes the very best panels on the market.

Apple wants to make the best quality phone they can, as they keep saying.

So let's cheap out and use non Samsung panels as we can get some cheaper by someone else, as long as they are "good enough"

Sorry, but I don't like that thinking, esp when you consider the GIANT markup Apple puts on all the components anyway.

Digital Dude

macrumors 65816
Everyone in the industry seems to agree Samsung currently makes the very best panels on the market.

So let's cheap out and use non Samsung panels as we can get some cheaper by someone else, as long as they are "good enough"

Sorry, but I don't like that thinking, esp when you consider the GIANT markup Apple puts on all the components anyway.

If there's a cheaper way to do something, Tim Cook will find it.?

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future

If Samsung is the only supplier, they can charge Apple any amount for the screen (until Apple doesn’t make a profit) because the iPhone is dependent on them as a supplier. 2 or more suppliers allows Apple negotiating power. As long as the quality control standards are high, it doesn’t matter who the manufacturer is. It seems like Apple is keeping the standards high given how hard it has been for other companies to make Apple OLED displays at high yield.

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015

May be they are only using BOE screens for iPhone 12 in China? :rolleyes:

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
This years iPhone does sound exciting with all that’s been happening. If I were Apple, I would make this an off year and keep selling the iPhone 11 until June 2021. Hey, Macrumors, Instagram, Twitter and Facebook won’t be any different. And the so-called 5G flagship feature will be a little bit more mature by then.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012

"Never give any other supplier even a chance"

Sorry but i don't like that thinking.

See how that goes?

Val-kyrie

macrumors 68020
Feb 13, 2005
This is no surprise. In both my experience and according to hardware test sites, BOE makes the lowest quality LCDs among all primary component manufacturers.

Chinese display maker BOE reportedly failed to deliver the first shipment of OLED panels for Apple's so-called iPhone 12, which is expected to be released later this year. According to Korea's DDaily, the failure was down to BOE's inability to pass OLED quality control tests.

BOE-China.jpg

It's unclear from the Korean-language report when the tests where carried out and whether they will have any material impact on the so-called iPhone 12's production and launch. Apple was said to be "aggressively testing" flexible OLED screens made by BOE as early as August last year.

BOE is the world's top producer of large liquid crystal screens and already makes liquid crystal displays for Apple's iPads and MacBooks, but the firm has had its sights set firmly on the expanding OLED panel market, which is growing year on year.

Despite Apple's focus on diversifying its suppliers for various components in its products, Samsung Display is still expected to provide nearly 80 percent of the OLED displays used in this year's "iPhone 12" lineup.

Samsung was the exclusive display supplier for Apple's first OLED ‌iPhone‌, the ‌iPhone‌ X back in 2017. LG came on board the following year as a second supplier, and BOE is reportedly entering Apple's supply chain for the 2020 phones as Apple goes all-OLED in its flagship lineup for the first time.

Apple plans to release four "iPhone 12" models with OLED displays in the fall, including one 5.4-inch model, two 6.1-inch models, and one 6.7-inch model, according to analyst Ming-Chi Kuo. All of the devices are expected to support 5G and they may sport a new design that includes more of a flat edged metal frame like the iPad Pro or iPhone 4.

BOE has reportedly partnered with touch panel maker General Interface Solutions as both companies aim to become suppliers of the rumored 5.4-inch iPhone.

Article Link: BOE Reportedly Failed to Deliver First Shipment of OLED Panels for 'iPhone 12'

alpi123

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2014

The BOE panels were not meant for the flagship Pro models. If a company could use cheaper parts at a quality good enough, they of course they will.
Yes, they want to make the best quality phone but that quality depends on the price.

Reactions: Marlon DLTH :)

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
I am not an expert but I don't think this will delay the new iPhones due to Apple using Samsung as main supplier but the production volume may be lower.

There are four variations on iPhone 12.

5.4" smallest size , more affordable price than previous couple of years.
6.1" about same size as last year
6.1" Pro 'small'
6.7 Pro 'large'

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/05/26/samsung-iphone-12-displays/

The two 6.1" models probably don't have the same screen. The non pro 6.1" is being stuffed in there because Apple doesn't want to leave that $699-799 price point. It is somewhat 'stuffed in there" so they went off to BOE to fill that along with LG. ( it may also be in there because couldn't "stuff" multiple antennas+radios for 5G into the 5.6" frame. )

This could be some lobbying for more work from LG "fans".

The Pro models are supposedly partially late because of 5G antenna issues ( and obviously Covid-19 delays).

May just get a launch with just the 5.6" and the others come later.

EDIT: fixed the error on 5.4" ( not 5.6" ) phone entry

Last edited:

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
There are four variations on iPhone 12.

5.6" smallest size , more affordable price than previous couple of years.
6.1" about same size as last year
6.1" Pro 'small'
6.7 Pro 'large'

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/05/26/samsung-iphone-12-displays/

The two 6.1" models probably don't have the same screen. The non pro 6.1" is being stuffed in there because Apple doesn't want to leave that $699-799 price point. It is somewhat 'stuffed in there" so they went off to BOE to fill that along with LG. ( it may also be in there because couldn't "stuff" multiple antennas+radios for 5G into the 5.6" frame. )

This could be some lobbying for more work from LG "fans".

The Pro models are supposedly partially late because of 5G antenna issues ( and obviously Covid-19 delays).

May just get a launch with just the 5.6" and the others come later.

It’s actually 5.4” for the smallest one.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY

Well they failed Apple’s standards and they’re not using them, so I take that as a good thing

Last edited:

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
This years iPhone does sound exciting with all that’s been happening. If I were Apple, I would make this an off year and keep selling the iPhone 11 until June 2021. Hey, Macrumors, Instagram, Twitter and Facebook won’t be any different. And the so-called 5G flagship feature will be a little bit more mature by then.

5.4” iPhone is the most exciting iPhone news since 2014 for me.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Oct 6, 2017
This is how Apple trying to squeeze profit Might have backfired... Everyone in the industry knows BOE is not yet a reliable player in OLED market yet... just go with Korean suppliers!
Apple arguably has the best supply chain leader, the best supply chain, and the most supply chain understanding in the world.

tegranjeet

macrumors regular
Apr 5, 2019
Boulder, CO
Hopefully this doesn’t delay things even further because I can’t wait even more time to use a modern-looking and feeling iPhone that fits into my hand since the 5s

I wouldn’t be so sure the base iPhone 12 models will get the newer design language. Usually Apple keeps the past year’s design on lower models, while adding a newer design to the flagships. This assures they don’t put all their eggs in one basket.

Personally I would love the flat edges in a 5.4 inch package, but I don’t have my hopes up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.